Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lenscrafters new Accufit system.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Lenscrafters new Accufit system.

What do the Opticians working at Lenscrafters think about their new fitting system?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No replies. Hmmm...maybe 'the system' is soooo good that there are no longer opticians at LC!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    No replies. Hmmm...maybe 'the system' is soooo good that there are no longer opticians at LC!

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm having a flashback to big blue calipers. but seriously digital mirrors/ measuring devices have a place wowing patients with high tech wiz bang factor.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've already had several people come in to our optical with glasses from LC that are simply unusable that "were supposed to be perfect" because of their new systems. They are doing more harm to themselves than good so far, but that's Luxottica for you...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper people that work with it have not been properly trained..............................

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan barber View Post

I've already had several people come in to our optical with glasses from LC that are simply unusable that "were supposed to be perfect" because of their new systems. They are doing more harm to themselves than good so far, but that's Luxottica for you...

The system is ok...............but the people that work with it have not been properly trained, or are to dumb to understand.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe it is very similar to, or derived from, the Optikam system. Having now had some direct experience with Optikam on the HOYA Best Practices Tour (you should definitely attend with your staff to this all day event when it comes to your city in 2012!), i agree that, with a small amount of training, it is capable of more than acceptable measurements. I personally would be glad use measurements from *another* skilled operator for fabricating glasses in my shop.

B

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I'm having a flashback to big blue calipers. but seriously digital mirrors/ measuring devices have a place wowing patients with high tech wiz bang factor.
    I had the same thought... And I originally wondered if they hadn't just brought those back...

As Chris and Barry pointed out, training is key. It doesn't matter if it's a PD stick, a digital pupilometer, or the latest/greatest/spiff-iest (yes, the spiff is intentionally emphasized) digital camera imaging measuring tool, if the person using it doesn't know what they are doing, it's worthless.

Just having a saw does not make one a carpenter.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Barry, this technology is and will be the way measurements will be derived from for the digital world of tomorrow. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, technology and digital lenses are here and here to stay. They are better optically and are much cheaper to produce. I personally use the Optikam daily and when used properly the measurements are precise and patients find it impressive when they see it being used. The lens manufacturers are promoting it with incentives for purchasing and sometimes locking you into contracts. Be careful when deciding which system you purchase, make sure the system you purchase is the right one for your office and takes accurate measurements. I recommend before you make a purchase you either see it at a show or ask for a 2 week trial before purchasing a centration system. I have been a big supporter of the Optikam system and have endorsed it for many years and believe it is by far the most accurate, least expensive and easiest system to use. I have been requested by Optikam to go to trade shows for them as a live testimonial which I have done for the past few years. If you are interested in getting any information on centration systems or would like to have a two week trial for the Optikam, feel free to call me at my office 732-278-2622. Barry the offer is always open to you if you would like to take a trip to New Jersey and see the system in my office or feel free to stop by at Vision Expo and say hello.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you have to first have to understand how the meassurement is based theorectically, then how to do it manually and get acceptable values, and then you can benchmark it against when you know. Many people tell me that their "fancy" didgital systems give accurate PDs. When I ask them how they know this, they tell me that "I've checked it aainst *me* PD." Then I ask hoe they know that their PD value is "correct." Their response many times amounts to "...cause I know."

Well, that can be said about anything. NOT scientific or logical.

BTW, all the most accurate POW measurements in the world won't do youor your customers a bit of good, if your business continues to use stock lenses, routinely mounted at the frame's MRP.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a bff who works at one, and she says that it's ok with PALs, but she turns the system off for bifocals (what ever that means). However, I will add this, that the system is so exact it measures to tenths of millimeters, but, if the LAB system hasn't been updated to incorporate these new teeny tiny measures, it will round up or down based on the numbers. So what's the point? Oh yeah, wowing the patients with these high tech toys, to blind them to the fact that their 'optician' was a waitress last week.

And I mean NO disrespect for trained opticians I've worked with at the LC. Some of the best I've ever worked with. But we all know the truth, that they are hiring more and more part time 'frame stylists' to work with the LO's.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "tenths of millimeters..." NO eyewear demands this level of precision.

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I suppose you could say that .001 accuracy is not demanded by eyewear either.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    "tenths of millimeters..." NO eyewear demands this level of precision.

B
    +1

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I have a bff who works at one, and she says that it's ok with PALs, but she turns the system off for bifocals (what ever that means). However, I will add this, that the system is so exact it measures to tenths of millimeters, but, if the LAB system hasn't been updated to incorporate these new teeny tiny measures, it will round up or down based on the numbers. So what's the point? Oh yeah, wowing the patients with these high tech toys, to blind them to the fact that their 'optician' was a waitress last week.

And I mean NO disrespect for trained opticians I've worked with at the LC. Some of the best I've ever worked with. But we all know the truth, that they are hiring more and more part time 'frame stylists' to work with the LO's.
    'optician' was a waitress last week ROLFLMAO LOL CI. VERY FUNNY AND SADLY TRUE. MAYBE THAT'S WHY I COULD NEVER GET A JOB THERE. I HAVEN'T BEEN A WAITER SINCE HIGH SCHOOL.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I suppose you could say that .001 accuracy is not demanded by eyewear either.
    0.001 accuracy, no. Precision for lens surface/global optimization, yes.

B

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You folks which says "no eyewear is made to 10ths of a mm" is possible. Ya'll never made or fitted rigid contacts, did ya?
    .01 mm is possible although probably not adhered to today.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip:

Yes, I have (did). But we're not talkin about contacts, here.

B

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As Lencrafters actively (so I'm told) monitors this site it should come as no surprise the lack of first person responses but here's a sweet something that speaks volumes-

http://www.glassdoor.com/GD/Intervie...leFTS=Optician

Look now before it's blocked!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    You folks which says "no eyewear is made to 10ths of a mm" is possible. Ya'll never made or fitted rigid contacts, did ya?
    .01 mm is possible although probably not adhered to today.

Chip
    It's hard to expect eyewear made to such standards when they can't produce or inspect eyewear to current standards chip.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Does it auto select the lenses for you based on fitting parameters?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Does it auto select the lenses for you based on fitting parameters?
    See my post #19.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Digital centration is not only more accurate because it is calculated in 10ths but because when using a digital image, it will not only determine the PD anatomically but actually calculate exactly where the corneal reflection is according to the frame. This is more important for those patients that have a skewed or deviated bridge and the glasses sit slightly off to one side or the other.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am an Optician/Manager who has worked for LensCrafters for 20 years. The Accufit is merely a tool used to get the most accurate measurements possible. Optical knowledge and experience is still required to uncover the customer needs for proper products based on their lifestyle needs. It is fairly simple to use and eliminates some of the basic mistakes that can be made by human error. Most customers respond positively to its use, because they are more involved in what is happening to them.

It does make my job easier, and next month when I open my own shop, I will miss it. I have seen other similar products available for purchase for ECP's. At some point, I will purchase one to keep up with technology.

I am more than happy to give honest answers to any questions anyone has about the Accufit System or LensCrafters.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    sorry bout that
    Last edited by markallen; 01-14-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Thread Information