Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are you carrying?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diopterman, how's that new Kahr??

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm bummed. Santa totally did not leave a Sig Sauer P556 under my tree.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Diopterman, how's that new Kahr??
    Just picked it up yesterday!

I love the feel in the hand and it's small size. I need to do a good strip and clean, manually rack the slide a couple hundred times and then put some ammo down the tube! I will not getto shoot it for a week or two.

If I can get three hundred trouble free round through it, I will start carrying it!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diopterman View Post
    Just picked it up yesterday!

I love the feel in the hand and it's small size. I need to do a good strip and clean, manually rack the slide a couple hundred times and then put some ammo down the tube! I will not getto shoot it for a week or two.

If I can get three hundred trouble free round through it, I will start carrying it!
    Diopterman,

I just picked up a Kahr CM 9. It is awesome! I suggest that you visit KahrTalk.com and review and follow the new gun break in! Kahrs are made extremely "tight" and need some work to get them to loosen up and start to feed and extract correctly.

Here is a link to Kahr talk. Follow the Stickies on the top of the page.

http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Good luck with your new handgun. I am glad that Kahr came out with an affordable alternative to their popular PM9!

I am trying to figure out what will be the best carry holster for when mine is broken in and ready for carry.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    People in you and diotperman's condition should not be allowed to carry a pencil.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    People in you and diotperman's condition should not be allowed to carry a pencil.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Went to shoot some paper and cardboard today with my Doc. He brought a tokarev he got, and it jammed on the first mag. Ejector pin popped right out of the top of the slide, and fired casings would not eject. My Smith's both performed to par, altho the 9 still seems to be off sight a tad, hitting a little high, and to the left. Can't tell if it's just me, as it shot the same for Doc. The .38 smith revolver, 15 shots, all within a 6" circle from about 7 yards. Pretty good for that gun, and shooting from a quick defensive mode. Our little beach range had about 75 people there this afternoon, some on rifle, some on skeet and trap, and really only about 4 of us on pistol.

One guy came into the slot two down from me, and we called cold to allow him to set his target. He was loading a revolver, looked like a .38 hammerless, didn't look comfortable with handling, probably just got it for Christmas. I watched him shoot the first 5, and the target was still brand new. I could see he was holding the gun with the front sight high as he pulled the trigger, and was shooting at about 5 yds. He called cold again to retrieve his target, and left. Maybe the range office would give him back his dollar for the target. Practice people, and ask advice and help in handling, lots of it before just buying a gun and thinking it's easy, and everyone can do it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Practice people, and ask advice and help in handling, lots of it before just buying a gun and thinking it's easy, and everyone can do it.
    My wife is looking at the new Taurus 22 revolver. It's a great size for her, but I don't want to buy it until she has a chance to try one out somewhere. When we were in Montana for Thanksgiving, the local outfitter had one for about $90 less than here in Ohio, but we couldn't buy it because we were from out of state.

She fell in love with a 9mm Sig when she took the CCW class, but I want her to look around for awhile first. Also, since the (great) story about the 18 yr old widow taking justice on the thugs, she wants to get comfortable with my 12 gauge. That's fine, but she's going to look awful peculiar walking around town w/ a 12 ga. over her shoulder!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    She fell in love with a 9mm Sig when she took the CCW class, but I want her to look around for awhile first.
    Johns, was that the Sig P239?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, since the (great) story about the 18 yr old widow taking justice on the thugs, she wants to get comfortable with my 12 gauge.
    I just love happy endings!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns, was that the Sig P239?
    Yes, and she really liked it, but until she gets more comfortable handling the clip, I'd like her to try a revolver. She's shot my .32 a few times, and didn't like it, but I'd rather her have a smaller caliber that she can get some quick rounds off of, than something higher powered that remains unfired.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, since the (great) story about the 18 yr old widow taking justice on the thugs, she wants to get comfortable with my 12 gauge.
    That happened not too far from where I live--it's been all over the news, and a fund has been set up to help support this brave gal. She may be young (real young), and has a brand new baby, but that instinct to protect her child is already so strong. She sounded so clear-headed on the 911 tape. God bless her.

That's fine, but she's going to look awful peculiar walking around town w/ a 12 ga. over her shoulder!
    I think that defeats the purpose of "Concealed Carry!"
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    That happened not too far from where I live--it's been all over the news, and a fund has been set up to help support this brave gal. She may be young (real young), and has a brand new baby, but that instinct to protect her child is already so strong. She sounded so clear-headed on the 911 tape. God bless her.
    She was much calmer than I feel I might have been in that situation. She barricaded the door, yet they continued to enter, and one got what he deserved. As you said, for her age, she really showed some maturity in her conversation and the act that followed. My heart go's out to her also.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On the 18 year old, unless it was a re-enactment how did she manage to set us a video camera when the assault was "in progress?" Doesn't this imply some premeditation on her part? And who is dumb enough to call anyone for advise on a can I defend myself situation? Even if they are 18 they should have the answer to that when they are about 12 at the latest.
    And befo' you axe, I am pro-second ammendment and pro-castle law. Just sayin' there are some questions here.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I'm bummed. Santa totally did not leave a Sig Sauer P556 under my tree.

I guess you weren't a good boy. You'll have to be much better this year.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I guess you weren't a good boy. You'll have to be much better this year.
    It's probably because I didn't put up a tree...
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    On the 18 year old, unless it was a re-enactment how did she manage to set us a video camera when the assault was "in progress?" Doesn't this imply some premeditation on her part? And who is dumb enough to call anyone for advise on a can I defend myself situation? Even if they are 18 they should have the answer to that when they are about 12 at the latest.
    And befo' you axe, I am pro-second ammendment and pro-castle law. Just sayin' there are some questions here.

Chip

As far as I know, it was a re-enactment. Which I thought was tacky and tasteless of the reporters interviewing her. But I don't think there's any video of the actual break-in (unless you've seen something I haven't?).

In another local situation, while the actual robbery happened a couple years ago now, we had a pharmacist in OKC who just recently was conviced of murder for killing a teenager who was (with some other guys) robbing his pharmacy at gunpoint. There has been much heated debate from people who totally support him (myself included) in his actions, and others who argue it was unnecessary force. I'll bet she had that scenario in her mind when she was asking if it's okay to shoot the intruders.

That's just my speculation, but I hope it offers some answers to your questions.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Angry

Here in Mordor Sauron does not allow us to defend oursleves with a knife over 3" in blade length or with any type of firearm unless we are in our home. I hate one party rule and in Mordor one party rules.

http://www.hunterknifecentral.com/illinois/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Beretta 92FS
    Clip full of Black Talons

Beretta Neos 6" for range plinking (.22LR)
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Beretta 92FS
    Clip full of Black Talons
    Bad guys beware of scriptfiller!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am reviving this old thread rather than starting another!

I hope that you all are practicing and if you can, carrying!

I read this statement on one of the gun forums and thought how true!

"I carry a firearm because carrying a policeman gets too awkward"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i carry a S&W M&P 40 IWB, and if i am going into downtown then i add a Beretta Bobcat. i am NEVER without my blade, i carry a Mora old school along my belt, then i rock my gerber multi-tool for gen. purpose. thats just my EDC (in my car when physically in the office) i have a dedicated truck gun a shorty Mossberg 500 (slugs, buckshot, birdshot) and depending on the occasion i bring the M44 with me. keep in mind i live in Alaska. "going to town" isnt as easy as it sounds. and "visiting" a friend usually includes bear country and other large angry mammals

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After our 80%female office had a run-in with a creep-o perv-o ex patient last year I started carrying my switchblade on my person at all times. It's got a pretty pearl handle too. =)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    After our 80%female office had a run-in with a creep-o perv-o ex patient last year I started carrying my switchblade on my person at all times. It's got a pretty pearl handle too. =)
    Many of my employees conceal carry, and I not only encourage it, but will pay for the CCW class for any employee that wants to take it. The funds come out of my "maintenance" budget. I hope to maintain the safety of my employees, and my customers.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was held up at knifepoint in 1988 at my shop in Jersey City. He took the cash then locked me in the back room while he filled his pockets with discontinued frames. Would he have had the courtesy to wait for me to grab my weapon to defend myself? The police came in about 3 minutes later to apprehend him. They were all plainclothes detectives. What if I mistakenly thought they were accomplices? Suicide by cop!
    Money carefully refunded

Thread Information