Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Amex

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Amex
    Can it get you to fence line in.00026 seconds?

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nice carry Ashley...Just signed up for my carry and conceal class:-) Can't wait.....My friend is going shopping with me for my first handgun...what would you guys recommend for a small handed lady like myself? Range shooting carry and conceal etc

Christina

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post
    Nice carry Ashley...Just signed up for my carry and conceal class:-) Can't wait.....My friend is going shopping with me for my first handgun...what would you guys recommend for a small handed lady like myself? Range shooting carry and conceal etc

Christina
    First, I want to thank you for taking this important step. You are embarking on a very important, moral and civil obligation, that one must take seriously!
    Choosing a handgun is a very personal task, one that should not be taken lightly. The best thing to do is research choices, visit gun shops, RENT a few of your choices, look into carry options (IWB, OWB, pocket, shoulder, etc.) then decide. You are very lucky in that we are in a time of so many excellent choices. It can be a daunting task!

Here are a few choices that I recommend newbies to search out and try.

1.) S&W 642, 38 special
    2.) Kel-Tec PF9, 9mm
    4.) Kel-Tec P11, 9mm
    3.) Kahr PM9, 9mm

One thing that you will find out, is that most concealable handguns, are not fun to shoot at the range! You must practice though, and practice often.

Please join and support the NRA as well!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some will suggest what I call "Mouse Guns". These are smaller caliber, smaller framed handguns that are very easy to conceal. I understand the allure, but I fear that they are not up to the task if they are ever called upon. I will say that I would rather have a Mouse Gun if needed than a sharp knife {and I am on helluva good knife fighter!}!

Common Mouse Guns
    1.) Kel-Tec P3AT, 380
    2.) Ruger LCP, 380
    3.) NAA Pug, Black Widow, Mini-Mag, 22 Magnum

http://mouseguns.com/
    Go to the Pocket Guide on the left side and click it. It has a visual of many handguns and their size in a "typical" hand!

Read anything that you can find on the subject of carry issues by Mas Ayoob! He is an expert and has written several books, hundreds of articles, trainer, etc, etc.
    Start here:
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/ayoob_index.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/359...dments-cc.html

Purchase his book, "In The Gravest Extreme" before purchasing a handgun. You may change your mind and decide that the responsibility and issues that come with carrying, may not be what you have thought.
    Last edited by Fezz; 12-21-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Very interesting to see the amount of ladies that carry, bra or purse, it's great. I can't get my wife to even hold one un-loaded.
    I can understand. My husband really wants to have something other than a hunting gun in the house, but it really scares me. I do have an attack cat though, so between Jesus and Coco, I feel pretty safe.

He is starting to aquire a bunch of stuff for hunting though. I don't know if they would be any good for defense, but he likes them. They don't bother me as much though, so maybe I'll lose the fear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My wife is terrified of them and will not touch them. She wants no part of anything related to guns. But she will eat the meat that a firearm brings home!

I respect her feelings and do not push the issue. She knew where I stood on the matter before we were married. I knew where she stood. I told her that I have and will always have firearms, she respected that and we got on with things! Still very happily married, despite our differences!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Find firearms courses in your area through the NRA website. These are very good courses that even seasoned owners can learn from!

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post

Christina
    Thank you. Sent you a P.M. :)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now for the serious part of the question: Have any of you ever owned a registered gun?

I haven't.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Now for the serious part of the question: Have any of you ever owned a registered gun?

I haven't.

Chip
    Yes Chip, as I am sure most permit holders have. All my guns are registered when I picked them up, federal and state forms. In North Carolina, my carry permit number is the same as my drivers license number, so the Police know when they stop me and run my license I have one. BTW, here we have to tell them also, or give them the permit with the license when stopped. In Virginia, and other states, I do not have a requirement to tell them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Yes Chip, as I am sure most permit holders have. All my guns are registered when I picked them up, federal and state forms. In North Carolina, my carry permit number is the same as my drivers license number, so the Police know when they stop me and run my license I have one. BTW, here we have to tell them also, or give them the permit with the license when stopped. In Virginia, and other states, I do not have a requirement to tell them.
    Unless you live in a state that does not require a permit to own a gun. Like I do :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    First, I want to thank you for taking this important step. You are embarking on a very important, moral and civil obligation, that one must take seriously!
    Choosing a handgun is a very personal task, one that should not be taken lightly. The best thing to do is research choices, visit gun shops, RENT a few of your choices, look into carry options (IWB, OWB, pocket, shoulder, etc.) then decide. You are very lucky in that we are in a time of so many excellent choices. It can be a daunting task!

Here are a few choices that I recommend newbies to search out and try.

1.) S&W 642, 38 special
    2.) Kel-Tec PF9, 9mm
    4.) Kel-Tec P11, 9mm
    3.) Kahr PM9, 9mm

One thing that you will find out, is that most concealable handguns, are not fun to shoot at the range! You must practice though, and practice often.

Please join and support the NRA as well!
    I didn't see this earlier, but I agree with the S&W 642 38 sp on the top. I was leaning towards that, and Fezz kinda helped me along, and I'm glad he did. Very easy to shoot, nice to conceal, reliable, easy to clean, oh, and most importantly will do the job.

You can get all kinds of info on it on thehighroad.com, they used to have a couple threads devoted only to the 642, but I have not had time lately to peruse gun boards.
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 12-23-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: corrected website

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Unless you live in a state that does not require a permit to own a gun. Like I do :)
    That's why I said permit holders. We can't all live in progressive states like Texas.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course you know that registration and permits is how Hitler collected them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Of course you know that registration and permits is how Hitler collected them.
    I lost all of them when the boat sank, honest.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

What a thread....................

What a thread....................who the heck needs a tube with a trigger anyhow. You shoot a burglar you go to jail anyhow. At least choose a jail with an optical lab, so you won't forget your trade.

By the post's on this board I never thought that anybody here was trigger happy.

Gun politics in Canada is largely polarized between two groups with opposing views. One group includes those who object to the registration of personal firearms. The other group includes those who believe in strict gun control and support current, and increasingly restrictive, legislation in which all firearms must be registered, owners licensed, and firearms deemed to be "dangerous" are prohibited. Within the former group, there are many who believe that personal ownership of firearms is one of the best deterrents to robbery, assault, vandalism and crime in general; many see this debate as a "rural vs. urban" issue...............................................

continue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Canada

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    What a thread....................who the heck needs a tube with a trigger anyhow. You shoot a burglar you go to jail anyhow. At least choose a jail with an optical lab, so you won't forget your trade.
    So funny.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

By the post's on this board I never thought that anybody here was trigger happy.
    Sorry for the disappointment Chris, but here we don't have to go to jail for shooting a burglar in our house. If I am afraid for my life, I can use the necessary means to defend myself. I know that upsets some people, but hey, get over it. You come in my house to rob, maim, rape, you get my full attention, and welcome to my gun collection. That "tube with a trigger" may very well save my life some day, unlike where you live, where they are only provided for the bad guys because they never have to follow the laws, like I do.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optilady: See Mississippi's Castle Law you don't go to jail for shooting a burglar down heah. If he (it) needs killin," kill it.

As to carrying all us right wing extreemist types would really prefer an early war era Luger if available.

Chip

Optilady: We also have a saying down here that it's better to be a live defendant than a dead victim.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 01-01-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    IMI Mark VII Desert Eagle....enough said

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMLESS View Post
    IMI Mark VII Desert Eagle....enough said
    Ooohhh! Not enough said! What caliber?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optometrist
    .50 AE the only way to fly.
    Use to match shoot (or at least attempt) rifles years ago. Going the recreational route now. Just put a EOTECH 552 on a AR15 HBAR. Kinda different. Just waiting for some zombies to pop up. LOL

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMLESS View Post
    .50 AE the only way to fly.
    Use to match shoot (or at least attempt) rifles years ago. Going the recreational route now. Just put a EOTECH 552 on a AR15 HBAR. Kinda different. Just waiting for some zombies to pop up. LOL
    I have the tin foil. I also have plenty of ammo, just no .50 for you rimless, you will have to bring your own to the party.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    HAPPY 2012 to all. Wishing you peace, happiness and higher reimbursements from your friendly Vision Care Plans

Thread Information