Thread: Optical store in US HELP!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy Optical store in US HELP!!!

Hi every one!
    This is coming from India.I have an Optical store in India & have been working since 1985,with my father,an ophthalmologist.Now after his death,
    I am looking forward to immigrating to the US,where my sister is a citizen.Since In India you do'nt need a certification to be an optician,I have none except some private courses,& ofcource an experience in doing refraction,fitting contact lenses,dispensing spectacles,& maintianing a store.As I was a medical student till high school,my understanding & knowledge of the subject is good.
    What I basically want to know is,
    1.Does one need to be an optometrist to open an optical store in the US?
    2.Does one need to be qualified in order to just fill the prescription of an optometrist/ophthal?
    3.Is there any way /any web site,where I can get information on doing a cource while in India?(distance education)
    As opticianary is the line of business I have spent so many years in & is the line I love,I can not think of changing my line of business.Is it real tough buying & running an optical store in the US?
    Can any one help?
    Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sig-1.gif  

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    spexwala,

Welcome to OptiBoard!

In the US, the answers to your questions will differ depending on which state you chose to open an optical shop or practice in.

We do have two national certification exams. The National Opticianry Competency Examination (NOCE) is spectacle related and is given by the ABO. The Contact Lens Registry Examination (CLRE) is given by NCLE for certification in contact lens dispensing. Even in states where these exams are not required, it is beneficial to persue these certifications; they demonstrate that you have a basic, working knowledge of Opticianry. Follow this link to the ABO/NCLE website.

Formal Education is another road to persue as degreed education is becomming increasingly important to our future although a minority of states accept formal education as a requirement to practice Opticianry. The public feels more comfortable with and has more confidence in degree holding professionals and when it comes down to it those are the folks who will help you pay the bills. The NFOS website found at this link is a good place to start. Click on the image on the left to enter their site.

The Opticians Association of America website found at this link is a great source of information and lists contact information for the various state opticanry boards. You can write or phone the folks in the contact lists to find out what each individual state requires to practice Opticianry or open an Optical Shop in their states.

Lastly, this link takes you to the Connecticut Opticians Association (COA) Website. There you will find information on Opticianry in general, application requirements for becomming an Optician and opening an Optical Shop and the State Statutes that govern Opticianry in the State of Connecticut on the East Coast. Note, these are Connecticuts requirements and every state has its own criteria.

Good luck in your search for information and let us know if you have any other questions!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Jo!
    Before I click the links I thought it appropriate to Thank you.

Thread Information