Thread: Hoya customers affected by the Thailand Flood

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hoya customers affected by the Thailand Flood

In regards to unavailability of high index freeform products from Hoya as a result of the flood, what are other customers
    doing in these hard times? It is difficult to change designs yet business must continue. What are the second choice lenses
    you are finding most like the original Hoya products?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Luzerne Optical is fabricating the Hoya iQ series of lenses in-house. That may help.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Flood in Thailand is now in clean up stage...........................

The Nation December 10, 2011 1:00 am
    The Cabinet will convene a special meeting on Monday to consider plans and a budget for postflood rehabilitation efforts, an informed source said yesterday.

Ministers will prioritise proposed projects at the 9am meeting, the source said.
    Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has already met with some Cabinet members, relevant agencies, and governors of floodhit provinces to discuss rehabilitation, according to the source, who added that conclusions from those meetings would also be presented at the special Cabinet meeting on Monday.
    The source said the Cabinet's regular weekly meeting would be held on Tuesday as usual. Among the items on the agenda was the Interior Ministry's proposal for the One Tambon One Product (Otop) scheme.
    The ministry plans to ask that Otop products be promoted for use in repair work, as food at evacuation centres, and as gifts, because the floods had caused more than Bt242 million in damage to Otop producers and entrepreneurs.
    More than 100 residents of floodhit Mooban Wangthong in Bangkok's Don Muang district staged a rally that closed down the VibhavadiRangsit Road yesterday morning to demand that flood waters in their area be drained within three days.
    They said their houses had been flooded for too long.
    Pheu Thai Bangkok MP Surachat Thienthong talked to the flood victims and said pumps were being brought in from Nakhon Ratchasima to facilitate the drainage operation.
    Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra, meanwhile, inspected the situation at Mooban Setthakij, where some flood water remains.
    "We have installed 10 pumps. The flood waters should be drained out within a few days," he said.
    In a related development, the Crime Reporter and Photographer Association of Thailand and allied groups delivered relief items to flood victims in Nakhon Pathom's Phutthamonthon district yesterday.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hoya is buying a ton of Free-form equipment but it may be 6 months till they refit their new lab in Europe. The deeper question is the danger of putting all your production in one spot. They are moving production to Europe now, but the risk still remains if something happens to the new lab with all new workers.

I would be hesitant to stay with any company that pools all their manufacturing into one central location. Not smart IMHO.

There are ton of great progressives out there, some better then Hoya. Look at this an oportunity to expand your optical tool box and add some wrenches to your screw driver set. The Seiko Surmount is similar to the ID series, but has much wider distance. The Zeiss GT2 3D is awesome for laptop or iPhone users. The Auto II handles cyl and low segs better than any lens I have seen. The Seiko Succeed is a terrific value in a T design lens.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My Hoya rep was in yesterday and she says that they can now supply all their lenses.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    My Hoya rep was in yesterday and she says that they can now supply all their lenses.

Hhhmmmmmm......?

I talked with Hoya Hartford lab yesterday and they told me that 1.70 is still a no go?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Hhhmmmmmm......?

I talked with Hoya Hartford lab yesterday and they told me that 1.70 is still a no go?
    I had driven down to that same lab to pick up a job and was told to not expect to be able to get iDs and iD Lifestyles for months. Make certain you're getting what you want and not a Summit iQ or something like that.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    ID Lifestyle is available in US and Canada in most material configurations, with ample production capacity to handle North American usage. 1.70 EYRY material has very limited availability, but is still available in FASV. Consult your HOYA authorized lab rep for full availability info.

HOYA's primary lens casting facility in Thailand has been in full production since late November.
    http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/news/latest/20111128.html
    RT

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks RT.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You covered some good points here, I think a meaningful response is very important for comments.

Thread Information