Thread: Help finding a frame for child with primordial dwarfism (MOPD) type II

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Help finding a frame for child with primordial dwarfism (MOPD) type II

I am looking for a frame for a tiny precious 7 year old girl with mopd type II. I have found 2 (plain blah)frames that I have on the way from Europa (all i could find), But..... She is really wanting a girly pretty frame, size 36 - 38, bridge small, 15ish purple is her fav color. She can not have cable temples due to her ear displacement. This child and her Mom would be thrilled if we could find something (like any 7 year old girl would like):)
    Are there any specialty made, frames? I have looked, and if anyone know of anything I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Kim

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard!

Try;

A&A Pez line
    Hilco
    Clear Vision

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try this. Fit her with a zyl frame that she likes. Cut all the plastic off the temples so that you're left with just the metal core. Form the metal core into a loop, though you might want to cover the metal with some shrink tubing, and solder the core together so that it doesn't straighten back out. Loop pretty ribbon or elastic through the loops and tie in a bow.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks a bunch Fezz, Ive looked through Marchon, Safilo, Lux, CV, (The big fat frame's book ;) I will chick out hilco, and the pez.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another vote for Pez. Adorable, durable, awesome warranty.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Pez are great!
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try Erin's World frames at Specs4us.com. They are designed for Down Syndrome children, but may work for your patient because they are small, the bridges are small, and the temples are placed lower on the frame. I have had success with them for a variety of kids with special facial fitting needs. The styles are also cute! Good luck!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    Try Erin's World frames at Specs4us.com. They are designed for Down Syndrome children, but may work for your patient because they are small, the bridges are small, and the temples are placed lower on the frame. I have had success with them for a variety of kids with special facial fitting needs. The styles are also cute! Good luck!
    The Specs4U frames aren't bad, but the warranty is really lacking, compared with other lines. Also, while they are (slightly) more appropriate for some special needs children, what they give you in fit, they take away in thin hinges, and lack of bling. We do carry them, and have had good luck with them, but you need to show them with some good backups.

If I can get an 85% good fit, with a knock-out look, I'll take that over a 100% fit with a practical look. It's nice when kids like this can actually put something on that adds a little color/flash/bling/pizzazz to their faces. Most importantly, it's awesome when you can add a smile to their faces.

We've had great success with the I-deal Optics Jelly Bean line. They are inexpensive enough that you can stock the entire line without breaking your budget, and some of the styles are downright trendy. They are usually a 8-1 price ratio to the Big Boy lines.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Specs4us

All the frames in the Erin's world frame line has the same warranties any other frame line has. Because of their durability the warranty rate % is lower than most typical children's frame line. While they are not "Blingy" they are colorful, comfortable and Stylish, not therapeutic. The hinge may seem thin but it is very strong and very seldom has a warranty issue. It is the perfect frame for your hard to fit issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    The Specs4U frames aren't bad, but the warranty is really lacking, compared with other lines. Also, while they are (slightly) more appropriate for some special needs children, what they give you in fit, they take away in thin hinges, and lack of bling. We do carry them, and have had good luck with them, but you need to show them with some good backups.

If I can get an 85% good fit, with a knock-out look, I'll take that over a 100% fit with a practical look. It's nice when kids like this can actually put something on that adds a little color/flash/bling/pizzazz to their faces. Most importantly, it's awesome when you can add a smile to their faces.

We've had great success with the I-deal Optics Jelly Bean line. They are inexpensive enough that you can stock the entire line without breaking your budget, and some of the styles are downright trendy. They are usually a 8-1 price ratio to the Big Boy lines.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hilco makes some great small frames, just sold a pair and the girl was 5 months old I believe

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another welcome to Optiboard!
    Found this picture of what Kimberly is dealing with.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAg&dur=613

Reading Wiki's info on PD type 2 saddened me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by specs4us View Post
    All the frames in the Erin's world frame line has the same warranties any other frame line has. Because of their durability the warranty rate % is lower than most typical children's frame line. While they are not "Blingy" they are colorful, comfortable and Stylish, not therapeutic. The hinge may seem thin but it is very strong and very seldom has a warranty issue. It is the perfect frame for your hard to fit issues.
    Maybe a little disclosure is in order?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Maybe a little disclosure is in order?
    Actually, her name is disclosure enough. She is practically my neighbor, and is the owner of Specs4us. She did what many of us have wanted to do, but took it a step further and did it! She saw a need for a frame that was made specifically for special needs kids, and designed and commissioned it to be made.

From what I hear, she has had great success with the line, and hopefully, is expanding with new styles/sizes/colors.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information