Thread: High Plus Pal Suggestions

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper High Plus Pal Suggestions

I have a new customer wearing a 5 year old Seiko lens.  He loves it best lenses he has ever had. I don't know much about the Seiko lenses but I am assuming that it is not a current technology lenses*(its marked S with a W underneath in the nasal assumed proceed). He is interested in the widest field of vision possible. Any suggestions for someone with a +5.50 +1.50 ou.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seiko has been producing 'current technology' longer than about anyone. Your pt is happy with Seiko, I would suggest you stay the course. If you really feel you need to update, try the Surmount - suppose to be a great lens for plus Rxs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Seiko has been producing 'current technology' longer than about anyone. Your pt is happy with Seiko, I would suggest you stay the course. If you really feel you need to update, try the Surmount - suppose to be a great lens for plus Rxs.

+1!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just to prove I do a little reading before I post and sometimes after like in this case. Total power for the Surmount is a +6.50. I think his newest prescription just put him out of range for the Sieko lenses. Also, it makes the material choice pretty easy 1.67 only in most lens designs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Indo Expert 1.60

Seiko Succeed/Superceed 1.67

Digital Mod Pal 1.67

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think my lab is calling its Digital mod pal the Unity plx. That's actually what I suggested. Thanks for the input Fezz.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by brianatleff View Post
    ... Total power for the Surmount is a +6.50.
    Good catch. I need to find me a good place to look this stuff up!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Zeiss's Individual should be on the table. If you're over +6 D, go to Germany for the Gradal Individual. Rodenstock makes a lens called 'Hyperop' for powers from +6 D to +13 D. I haven't used it though, and distribution may be spotty in the US.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Good catch. I need to find me a good place to look this stuff up!
    http://www.seikoeyewear.com/product.cfm?prodID=15 :P
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The lens you decribe is called Wing over here, and is available up to +8.00 in 1.67 material. It probably has a different name in the US.

Why do the lens companies do this anyway?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rodenstock, Zeiss was a great recommedation. Whatever you do, stay away from a free form unless you want hockey pucks for lenses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had good luck with high plus in Hoya IDs, but I'm with everyone else, if your pt is happy with Seiko, stick with it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In High Plus Powers I have great success with Shamir Autograph II lenses and also with Varilux Physio Enhanced. Just ensure that you get the Frame Wrap, Pano, and Vertex when submitting to the lab so they can compensate for the as worn positions
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The surfacing lab we use does wot ever ask great knowledge in of so many different lenses biggest combined powers we had is +10.75 -6 in a precise 1.67

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Hi there, Quest Lab (questopticallab.com) can make measured power PAL or individually optimized PAL in 1.74 +15 to -15 up to 4 or 5 add, fitting height from 14 mm.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Walach View Post
    Hi there, Quest Lab (questopticallab.com) can make measured power PAL or individually optimized PAL in 1.74 +15 to -15 up to 4 or 5 add, fitting height from 14 mm.
    Mike,

Are you accepting work from retailers,Dr. offices, independent opticians? I was under the impression that you only did work for wholesale labs.

As per this on your website, home page:

"Quest Optical Specialty Lab does business EXCLUSIVELY with wholesale labs."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Hi Fezz, yes we do about 95% + of work with wholesale labs because typically there is only a fraction of 1% of all the work that full service wholesale labs can not do or can not do it in certain lens forms. Having said that we do some work directly with opticians from abroad or domestically when labs either refuse the order or when the Rx is too complex that labs refer the customer for a specific job to us directly. So if you need something that your lab can not do the way you require you can either ask the lab to send it to us and if they refuse than we will do it for you direct. To me the most important is that every patient, particularly the ones with special needs, gets the best there is available. If you need more info please call me at my cel. 727-251-3129 or at the lab 727-581-4100. Take care, michael

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Michael, I appreciate the response!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The Surmount would be my first choice for design up to mid to high pluses. Most corridors are designed only for Myopes, and in Plus powers they copy everything over. Hyperopes converge much differently so their eyes track differently through the middle. As a result, some lenses like the Comfort are useless in high pluses. The Surmount is the only Progressive in the US that optomizes the entire corridor for the near PD and power. Some other lenses "bend" it for hyperopes, but its not a completely new calculation. Also, the Surmount is very thin in high plusses.

The Zeiss Individual in Germany moves some of the Add power from the back to the front in high plus powers. The logic behind this is that in higher adds backside Free-form gets flat too quickly. Moving some of the add to the front gives a better back curve.

The Definity has a split add, so it should be on your list too. Its great for hyperopes, but the distance is very narrow.

The Ice-Tech is the best Alternative to the Surmount, in my opinion. Its based on a Seiko design, they really get them thin, and they can do any power. Their blanks are thick and huge. We have seen some shockingly beautiful lenses from them in both plus and minus powers. We just did a -21.50 in Free-form that was only 7.8 mm at the edge in a 49 eye, not bi-concave.

Some of the Free-form lenses can get really thick in high plusses because they have to surface edge-to-edge and use the entire blank.

Do you have the power? What is the patients lifestyle?

Thread Information