Thread: Help with NYS practical challenge!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused Help with NYS practical challenge!!

Hi, I just received my scores for the abo and ncle. I failed my abo by 1 point (I know tell me about it, I'm mad about this) and I passed my ncle. My question is what should I do to prepare for the challenge, what are the chances of me getting that 1 point, and what to expect. I really want to be able to get this 1 point that I need! Please help. I'll be going in 2 weeks to take it. Thank you!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Study up on the area's you did poorly on the last test. They did give you an evaluation of your performance in each category last time didn't they? And welcome to optiboard!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Study up on the area's you did poorly on the last test. They did give you an evaluation of your performance in each category last time didn't they? And welcome to optiboard!
    i'm not really sure what i did poorly on honestly lol. this was my first time taking it so they didn't give any evaluation on it after the practical and thank you! am i allowed to take the books in there with me when i'm challenging it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok I'm confused. You failed your ABO or practicle? Or was it an ABO simulation test you failed?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I was wondering about that too. I can't speak from personal knowledge, but I believe several NY posters here have reported that NY is using the NOCE (commonly called the ABO) as their written exam. I don't know if NY also has a hands-on practical, but I do know the NOCE is a written exam only, not a practical.

Perhaps if one of our NY opticians could weigh in here?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And the NOCE test (ABO) is only given in May and November.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I was wondering about that too. I can't speak from personal knowledge, but I believe several NY posters here have reported that NY is using the NOCE (commonly called the ABO) as their written exam. I don't know if NY also has a hands-on practical, but I do know the NOCE is a written exam only, not a practical.

Perhaps if one of our NY opticians could weigh in here?
    NY does use those written tests, and an anatomy exam I believe, and they do have a practical.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Ok I'm confused. You failed your ABO or practicle? Or was it an ABO simulation test you failed?
    I failed the practical. Where I went to albany, ny to take the exam (hands on). And those of you asking there is a written and practical in nys. I just want to make sure I get my 1 point so I can get my license lol. I don't want to have to pay $450 again for it in April. Am I allowed to bring books with me during the challenge? Also how long do you have to wait to hear from them again?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no idea how much subjectivity is involved in NY's practical. ( I would think none, there are surely guidelines), without it you'll only have specifics to challenge. You'll have to know what specifics you feel you can challenge. (What part you failed, and explain how your answer is correct.)

On a side note, and FX, don't take this as criticism, just long term advice, you can scrape by tests just like you can scrape by in life, but you will only make scrape by wages and positions. Consider upping your game and retaking the test and acing it by being the best, you and your future will follow in same. Good luck in your career!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to work the practical exams in NY , back in the early 90's. If they are doing it the same, you had 3 examiners, and 2 of them scored you. If you can find a big discrepency between the way they scored your answers, you may find one point.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    am i allowed to challenge any questions where i lost points or just the ones where there's big diff between both examiners? can i bring my books in with me or do i have to leave them outside?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe that you can question anything. Call Albany and ask for their policy on a review.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NY requires that the NOCE (ABO) be completed successfully before sitting for the practical exam for Ophthalmic Dispensing. If you also want CL certification in NY, you need to also pass the NCLE before taking the CL practical. Now, to the NY Dispensing practical, and the challenge procedure: Yes, you can bring texts to the challlenge, and you don't have to leave them outside. You can challenge anything that is graded as incorrect, not simply the ones that show a discrepancy between the 2 examiners. BTW - you will rarely see those discrepancies, as the exam has been extensively revised in the last few years, with a goal of making it as objective as possible. You will have access to your entire exam, including the examiners' grading sheets. You probably have the tel for Capitol Hill Testing, but if you need more info, PM me. Good luck!

Thread Information