Thread: Essilor

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Essilor

Do folks realize just how much Essilor owns?

And because they are French.....Yet own about every major manufacturer...cannot ever be anti trust...

I think there should be laws for anyone...anywhere... owning companies in America.

Soon there will be price fixing....ohh wait not illegal for a non US company..even if it is in USA..

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't know. Don't care.

As of July, we are virtually E-free in our office. There was a day when we were in the "weaning" stages, that there were some instances that E was the only source for certain product. Now, with all the new digital lenses on the market, the sky is the limit as to what's available, and the prices are even lower!

Do you have any idea how much they charge for cable these days? I don't. I've never had cable, satellite, nor any of the other myriad of media delivery systems they say I can't live without. I've lived without them my whole life. I can live w/out E for the rest of my life as well.

And so can you...and then how much they own won't matter.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We sometimes are our own worst enemy, stop drinking the kool-aid from ALL the big boys. We all have choices, run your optical the way it should be run, I do, on my decisions.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

And because they are French.....Yet own about every major manufacturer...cannot ever be anti trust...

I think there should be laws for anyone...anywhere... owning companies in America.

Soon there will be price fixing....ohh wait not illegal for a non US company..even if it is in USA..
    You are about 15 years too late. There are still many people in denial. They will still eventually be gobbled up one way or another. If you stay in the optical business, you will eventually be working for the big E.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I might as well give them a call and see if I can start now, then.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just wanted to make some folks think....

I congratulate Younger Optics and all the other independent labs for showing E the door....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why is the big E worse than the big H, Z, S, A, R,P, N or ??
    They were just the best at the game as compared to the others that had a chance and still do! I do not use any E product, but do use a partner lab.
    My job is to run my business and do what is best for my niche! For the past 10 years it has included Pech Optical and I will not be leaving as long as a Pech sits in the corner desk. (They were a bad boy)

I used to work for the big E and have never used their lenses as long as I have been in retail, but do appreciate the prices charged by the E, H, Z, S and the others as my margins are the best they have ever been. This is because of the Big E and the rest keeping prices high for their brand name products and we get to use what we want, yet offer great products.

Thank Godness for Free Form!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I might as well give them a call and see if I can start now, then.
    Sad, but true. Their compensation is good in this time frame of the grand scheme.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Thank Godness for Free Form!

Which Freeform lens do you use?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Just wanted to make some folks think....

I congratulate Younger Optics and all the other independent labs for showing E the door....
    Are you sure?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The office I am working at now used to use mostly Hoya. But they had so much trouble with the Lewisville Tx Hoya lab (it's referred to as the Dallas lab but it's in Lewisville) that they switched to an Essilor lab. The Essilor lab does so much better.

And I have to agree with Craig, I don't see what difference it makes if we use Zeiss or Hoya or Essilor. They are all big non American companies.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    And I have to agree with Craig, I don't see what difference it makes if we use Zeiss or Hoya or Essilor. They are all big non American companies.
    Well said Happy lady! And by the way, they provide good jobs for Americans and hire very talented and knowledgable optical people. I buy the technology and the products, not the price of same. If it's good for my customers it follows that it is good for me.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    MMMM MMMM MMMM Love me some cool aid.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    American jobs?

Okay, the lab up the street from me, was bought out by E about 9 years ago. The "consolidated" the lab w/one 30 miles away. Of 17 employees, they kept 3.

On the other hand, I pride myself on getting good products at great prices. Because of this, I have been able to weather this recession, to the point of expanding and adding more employees. My business, because of it's profitability supports not only our 25+ employees, but also many businesses (landscaping, janitorial distributors, newspaper reps, construction companies, schools and many other) in my local area.

Yes, SOME of what I spend goes overseas to buy products, but the majority of the profits, a direct result of those purchases stays right in my town. Oh, and the freeform lenses we are using are absolutely made in the US. Also, I know that I'm not directly supporting my competition in regards to my lens or frame purchases.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Essilor get's around anti-trust regulations by often purchasing only 50% of what they buy. You can own 50% of the entire world and anti-trust laws don't kick in here in the US.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Essilor get's around anti-trust regulations by often purchasing only 50% of what they buy. You can own 50% of the entire world and anti-trust laws don't kick in here in the US.
    The only case I have knowledge of that happening was their investment with PPG in the development of the Transitions brand.Who can blame them or fault them for that. This goes back almost 20 years and there was a lot more outgo than income in the beginning And the purpose of that investment was to share the risk in capital outlay, to develop the product. I am not saying they haven't bought a 50% interest in other labs but it's not their style.

I believe the figure to be considered a monopoly is a 36% market share, not 50.
    Lord Byron

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Confused Monopoly ------------------> Definition..............................

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post

I believe the figure to be considered a monopoly is a 36% market share, not 50.
    Monopoly ------------------> Definition

A situation in which a single company owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service. This would happen in the case that there is a barrier to entry into the industry that allows the single company to operate without competition (for example, vast economies of scale, barriers to entry, or governmental regulation). In such an industry structure, the producer will often produce a volume that is less than the amount which would maximize social welfare.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, with all due respect, there exists a LEGAL definition of monopoly too. I think you could probably google that too!
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    American jobs?

Okay, the lab up the street from me, was bought out by E about 9 years ago. The "consolidated" the lab w/one 30 miles away. Of 17 employees, they kept 3.

I'd guess most big labs they acquired are much smaller. I would also be surprised if they do not send more and more lab work out of the country. It seems to be working out well for the Walmart visons Org.

Thread Information