Thread: OfficeMate's Inventory System Is Completely Useless.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

OfficeMate's Inventory System Is Completely Useless.

It's not just me, is it? The more I struggle to use UselessMate as a frame inventory tracker, the more I adjust costs and numbers to make sure it accurately reflects my stock, the more phantom numbers appear, the more phantom units arrive and depart, and the more inaccurate my inventory is. I've spent most of the past 18 months changing everything we do in the dispensary to make sure our numbers are accurate, and every time I run a report or do a scan count, it's wrong by hundreds of frames and thousands of dollars. I swear to Crom, this December we're doing inventory with an Excel spreadsheet and a pencil.

Arrrgh.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    It's not just me, is it? The more I struggle to use UselessMate as a frame inventory tracker, the more I adjust costs and numbers to make sure it accurately reflects my stock, the more phantom numbers appear, the more phantom units arrive and depart, and the more inaccurate my inventory is. I've spent most of the past 18 months changing everything we do in the dispensary to make sure our numbers are accurate, and every time I run a report or do a scan count, it's wrong by hundreds of frames and thousands of dollars. I swear to Crom, this December we're doing inventory with an Excel spreadsheet and a pencil.

Arrrgh.
    We use it quite successfully. You have to have a very regimented system. We are also developing custom software to export OM inventory so that vendor frame statements can be reconciled down to the penny. No more warranties not getting credited. Its turning out quite nice.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is unfortunate that someone can make a claim about a product being "worthless" and begin the explanation by stating "It's not just me ..is it? What this tell us, if we dig, is that the product may not worthless after all, and it could just be that the operator error may be the cause. That in and of itself, does not change the title of the thread now.....does it? The lesson here may well be to THINK before you write.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree, the Officemate system is difficult and does not mesh with the rest of the software well. It was done by different programers than the rest of Officemate. You kind of have to come at with that mentality and understanding to get it to work, that its another program that you access from Officemate but not Officemate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    It is unfortunate that someone can make a claim about a product being "worthless" and begin the explanation by stating "It's not just me ..is it? What this tell us, if we dig, is that the product may not worthless after all, and it could just be that the operator error may be the cause. That in and of itself, does not change the title of the thread now.....does it? The lesson here may well be to THINK before you write.
    I would agree with you in general, but not when it comes to OM. OMsoftware is definitely not iPhone grade usability. We ran many tests using dedicated test hardware to figure out how the inventory system works. And we also need to do extensive training to get it to work. I KNOW, we could create more user friendly software. Its tempting, but then it wouldn't be integrated..... That said, it does work and it is working well for us. BUT, we have put a lot of energy in getting there,and we did so, because inventory management was important to us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I once tried to work with Officemate/exam writer and had to back off. It was difficult on so many levels. The trouble with most software packages is you get consumed and enslaved by the demands of how you get the data in so that you don't get garbage out. So much so, that you start to do stupid things "to get the computer right", that you forget the concepts of customer service and making money.

That being said, Officemate is probably the most widely used optical/optometric software out there...primarily due to its connection with Marchon and VSP/

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just about everything related to OfficeMate, including the new and disastrous v10.5 is a piece of crap. Wish we'd never "upgraded" - it's a mess. Not surprised you're having trouble with inventory tracker. The person who scolded you about your post probably works for them.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcneel View Post
    Just about everything related to OfficeMate, including the new and disastrous v10.5 is a piece of crap. Wish we'd never "upgraded" - it's a mess. Not surprised you're having trouble with inventory tracker. The person who scolded you about your post probably works for them.
    The scolding had nothing to do with the efficacy of the product. It had to do with the unfortunate and inappropriate title of the thread. When the title of a thread slams a product, and the first sentence say's it may be operator error, then the title is flawed. The product in question may indeed be "useless" but the title is a definitive statement. There exist many different ways to get the message across but they require some THOUGHT before typing them out. We attempt to be fair here, and the title to this thread is not in keeping with that. I hope this clarifies my position.I do not use the software, nor do I have an axe to grind for, or against the company who developed it. Are we clear now?? Here is a perfect example of how to do it.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ot-system-quot

PS I work for myself as an independent optician. Why would you tell folks I "probably work for 'them'????.... I know the answer to my question........You didn't THINK before you typed it!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 11-09-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: added PS
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sorry, I didn't know there were thought police here. If you don't use the software, I'm not sure how you can defend the position that you are taking. The OP is correct, the system is useless and fatally flawed, IMO and in my office. You could put some thought into your response, or simply comment on products with which you have some knowledge and experience.

Thread Information