Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoya Thailand closed due to flood.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Don't worry about that troll, Allen.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    For some reason you want to make false statements about ICE-TECH based on something you assume ICE-TECH claimed. Why do you say no jobs are gained by people ordering from ICE-TECH? Example: If an ICE-TECH customer previously ordered a lens from a major worldwide lens company that was produced in Asia then delivered to the dispenser by the major worldwide lens company via their US owned local lab that does not really make the digital lens. Would this not be a gain in US jobs? Now to make it clear I did not make the claim that any US jobs were gained, but since you stated that was not true I felt it was important to state the true facts that in many cases dealing with ICE-TECH could increase US jobs.
    Great spin attempt, however not buying it. Before all of this happened, it was business as usual. I agree with Oliver - the timing is too convenient to be self plugging.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
    Great spin attempt, however not buying it. Before all of this happened, it was business as usual. I agree with Oliver - the timing is too convenient to be self plugging.
    What are you trying to say? I originally posted an alternate US based source of supply, which is ICE-TECH that is all. I know people in Thailand and yes the situation is bad, it seems you and Olivertwist think that by pointing our alternate source for lenses that is was improper. The fact is optical retailers who had jobs indefinately delayed needed an alternate supply source. That is what I was offering.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awtech-

I would not worry about these two (or maybe one) it is suspect they are doing damage control for Hoya.
    They both keep spinning any attention regarding Hoya flood issue into- we should all have compassion for the people and only support Hoya, even if they have delivery issues. They have closed labs to shift production into one place-because of costs. It is logical, now live with your decisions.
    What about compassion for the unemployment rates in the US and Canada? What about the amount of work that has left here? I understand the benefits of moving production to cheap labour.
    However, if you have a local alternative that can provide equal quality at the same (or close) price, why not support it?
    Believe me, if the shoe was on the other foot….another manufacturer had some sort of disaster these two would try to capitalize on it!
    Disclaimer: I have lots of compassion for the Thai people as well as many, many other people that are struggling just to survive due to many global issues.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
    Awtech-

I would not worry about these two (or maybe one) it is suspect they are doing damage control for Hoya.
    They both keep spinning any attention regarding Hoya flood issue into- we should all have compassion for the people and only support Hoya, even if they have delivery issues. They have closed labs to shift production into one place-because of costs. It is logical, now live with your decisions.
    What about compassion for the unemployment rates in the US and Canada? What about the amount of work that has left here? I understand the benefits of moving production to cheap labour.
    However, if you have a local alternative that can provide equal quality at the same (or close) price, why not support it?
    Believe me, if the shoe was on the other foot….another manufacturer had some sort of disaster these two would try to capitalize on it!
    Disclaimer: I have lots of compassion for the Thai people as well as many, many other people that are struggling just to survive due to many global issues.
    As always, I enjoy your opinions....even when they are one sided, unfounded, pointless, based on one's narrow view and through a faceless alias. Hmmm....come to think of it, that's every one of your posts!

Great job!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yours aren't?
    Alright, I'm stopping responding to trolls.......NOW!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Yours aren't?
    Alright, I'm stopping responding to trolls.......NOW!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troll.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	8101 = Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eyeman.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	8100

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by racethe1320 View Post
    I wonder if they will continue to process that work overseas vs helping out the US Economy. Hey, we get what we ask for, great pricing in spite of our own people. Labor goes to Asia and Profits to Japan. Way to support the economy.
    The Hoya rep told me that they are moving workers from Thailand to the US and running some of thier labs 24 hours a day to keep up with demand.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wait til those workers come over here and see how much the American guy standing next to them is making doing the same job, Lol.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ***Hijack alert***
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    Wait til those workers come over here and see how much the American guy standing next to them is making doing the same job, Lol.
    After the heart attack they'll want to go home instead of having the $45,000 to $54,000 procedure here!

http://www.health-tourism.com/bypass-surgery/thailand/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Umph daaaahh....Me glad they bringin' people here. Amirikan's too stuupid to push shinny green buttom or turn timmer on cyl maschine's....

Reminds me of the Billion dollar (tax payer) bridge being built in San Francisco with Chinese labor.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post

Just wondering..............did you get a price reduction when they started and did your jobs in Bangkok or they still charged the same old USA price?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Just wondering..............did you get a price reduction ........ or they still charged the same old USA price?
    No reduction.

But Corporate HOYA got a tax break to move jobs offshore and guess who is united in keeping it that way?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...68r40i20100928
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-28-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: tweak...

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    No reduction.

But Corporate HOYA got a tax break to move jobs offshore and guess who is united in keeping it that way?

WoW, talk about hijacking threads.

If i was to counter with something, i would get some kind of warning and told to stick to the topic. But i guess if you spew Democratic/liberal talking points its ok here at OB.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    No reduction.

So did other companies; this is nothing new. It's a double egded sword - we all ***** and moan about moving jobs out of North America, yet we all want the best discounts. One cannot have their cake and eat it.

Now let's assume the jobs all stayed in NA...is one willing to swallow a 30-40% price increase to cover the additional benefits, overtime, and union dues? Didn't think so.

There is a tremendous amount of spin off business that supports the NA economy.

Right from the Essilor website: http://www.essilor.co.th/about-essil...facturing.html

Essilor Manufacturing Thailand Co., Ltd is part of the worldwide growth of the French based Essilor International Group. The factory in Bangkok was one of the latest additional to Essilor's International development. Other factories exist in Europe, the Americas and Southeast Asia, and new factories are being constructed today.

In 1991 the first organic lenses were casted. Production quantities and quality levels have been increasing steadily over the recent years. The factory is today performing according to the quality standards set by Essilor International.

The hard-coating section started in 1993, and the anti-reflection workshop in 1995. These value-added products see an important growth in the world market, and Essilor Manufacturing (Thailand) Co., Ltd. has profiled itself as an important center for these treatments inside the Essilor group. New investments and the manufacturing on new products are planned or already under way.

In 2000, an extension of the factory was constructed. New production for Polycarbonate and high index lenses are located in this new building. These products have also a significant growth on the markets.

The new distribution center has been built in 2006 in order to support the growth of the business and answer to the new needs of our valued customers.

Today, Essilor Manufacturing (Thailand) Co.,Ltd located on 32 rais produces millions of plastic lenses per year and employs around 2,000 employee. The mass production facilities manufacture the complete corrective range of finished single vision organic lenses, with all the types of surface treatments that exist: scratch resistant coating, tintable coatings and anti-reflection coatings.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Companies in Thailand........................................

Here is a list of the Manufacturing companies in Thailand. Interesting that Hoya has three of them. Most of them are there for about 10 years.

Optical Manufacturing Companies in Thailand

Carton Optical (Siam) Co., Ltd. Certificated by BVQI 20-Dec-99
    100 Navanakorn Indus. Estate Soi 24, mu 18 Phaholyothin Rd, T.Klong Nueng,A.Klong Luang, Phathumthani

Manufacture of optical goods such as : microscopes andmagnifiers

Central Lens Industry Co., Ltd. Certificated by AJA Registrars 27-Apr-00
    55/3 Mu 11 Bangkrauy-SAI Noi Rd,Bang Bua Thong, Nonthaburi 11110

Manufacture of uncoated hard coated and hard multicoated ophthaimicLenses

Thai Polymerlens Co., Ltd. Certificated by RWTUV 13-Jul-96
    15/5 mu 6 Talingchan-Siphanburi Rd, Lahan, Bang Buathong, Nonthaburi;

Plastic ophthalmic lens

Nidec Copal (Thailand)Co., Ltd. Certificatedby MASCI 8-Dec-00
    60/117 mu 19, Navanakorn Industrial Estate Zone 3, Phaholyothin Rd.,Klongnueng, Klongluang District, Pathumthani 12120

Manufacture of camera components and micro motor

Rodenstock (Thailand)Co., Ltd. Certificatedby RWTUV 1-Jul-98
    203-4 Ladkrabang Industrial Estate, Ladkrabang, BKK 10520;

Manufacture of optical lenses for spectacle frames

Mahanakorn Vision Center Co., Ltd. Certificated by URS 11-Apr-02
    670/410-1 Charansanitwong 66/1, Charansanitwong Rd., Bangplad, BKK 10700

Mobile vision test

Siam Lens Manufacturing Co., Ltd. Certificated by AJA Registrars 27-Apr-00
    55/3 Mu 11 Bangkrauy-SAI Noi Rd,Bang Bua Thong, Nonthaburi 11110

Manufacture of uncoated hard coated and hard multicoatedophthalmic Lenses

Essilor MFG (Thailand) Certificatedby BVQI 21-Nov-97
    213 Chalongkrung Rd, Lat Krabang, BKK

Polymerized uncoated, coated and multicoated plastic lensesmanufacturing

Hoya Lens Thailand Co., Ltd. (Pathum Thani) Certificated by SGS 8-Feb-99
    392/1 mu 2 Phahonyothin, Thanyaburi, Pathum Thani

Manufacture of ophthalmic lenses, glass lens and plasticlens
    Manufacture of ophthalmic lenses

Hoya Lens Thailand Co., Ltd. (Ayutthaya) Certificatedby SGS 24-Jul-98
    129 mu 5 Asia-Nakhonsawan Rd, Bang Pa-in, Ayutthaya 13160

Coating process of hard coating plastic lens and antireflection coating plastic lens
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-29-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Chris, what exactly is your point? Although the same company, it seems as though location each operates as a separate sector of the supply chain instead of all under one roof - so big deal!? You obviously have a hate on for foreign soil operators which is your entitled right to your opinion.

However, in fairness, you can't just single out a single company. Hopefully the flooding situation improves, but if it doesn't and the other companies also become affected, I am curious to see how effective their contingency plans will be compared to the stellar job Hoya has done.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCrafter View Post
    WoW, talk about hijacking threads.

If i was to counter with something, i would get some kind of warning and told to stick to the topic. But i guess if you spew Democratic/liberal talking points its ok here at OB.
    1+

Thread Information