Thread: Vision Expo West is over this afternoon.................................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Vision Expo West is over this afternoon.................................

In about 12 hours from this post VEW closes it doors.

So far there has been not one post from anybody attending the event. Maybe the laptop did not make it to Las Vegas or the action was too hot with a deep fatigue following.

Would be interesting to hear some opinions of anybody that is there or has been there.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seemed quieter this year for both vendors and buyers. More companies are using suites. Also seemed like more cash and carry this year.

Occupation

Blue Jumper VEW 2011 done and gone.....................

Quote Originally Posted by eyedude View Post

Seemed quieter this year for both vendors and buyers. More companies are using suites. Also seemed like more cash and carry this year.

Eyedue, thanks for making that post.

It is a shame that so many were going and not one has made a post of the impression they got at VEW 2011. By now even the late ones should be back home by now.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Chris,

My guess (I can only speak for myself) is that it was soooo busy with classes, meetings and all, that the Internet was low on the priority list. And, post-expo fatique, especially for East-Coasters' plays a factor as well.

I can say that the education part was PACKED. Classes were completely full, we had standing room only in some of them. Additionally, on the education side, there were several courses team-taught by OD's and Opticians. I did a 2 hour one with an OD from Miami, our very own Pete H. did one with another OD, our very own Harry C. did one with an MD.

This is a nice trend in my opinion, doctors and opticians sharing knowledge/collaborating, playing well together in the sand box!

As far as the show floor, the little time I had to walk around, it seemed normal (not especially packed, not notably slow). As far as 'how much business was written' goes, someone else would have to chime in...

You may want to attend one Chris! You seem to have an interest, as you post the 'hows it going' question each time. Come join us!

: )

Laurie
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post

You may want to attend one Chris! You seem to have an interest, as you post the 'hows it going' question each time. Come join us!

: )

Laurie

Thanks Laurie, you made some interesting comments

I have to think about your invitation, but after having attended 16 Optifairs and Vision Expos plus the OLA's in the same years as exhibitor I got tired of it. But I tasted it plenty for many years and still have some interest.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    It seemed very busy on Thursday and Friday; less so on Saturday.

I don't know how the guys who had to go directly from VEW to SILMO do it...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i found vision expo had the worse sales reps ever! I walked in and out of many booths and I was very intrested in many companies product, I wasn't even greeted many sales people were just talking to each other with a wine glass in their hands, I felt completely ignored, made notes of the companies that ignored me, I will make sure that we dont let their sales rep set foot into my shop or their product.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    In about 12 hours from this post VEW closes it doors.

So far there has been not one post from anybody attending the event. Maybe the laptop did not make it to Las Vegas or the action was too hot with a deep fatigue following.

Would be interesting to hear some opinions of anybody that is there or has been there.
    I was too busy. Didn't have time to hang around on the net. :)

The show was great IMO. It was very productive for me, and I found tons of great frames!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I thought VEW had much more energy than the previous few years, especially Thursday and Friday. A lot more practices came en mass (where they bring more than one person), and lot of people attended from the Mid-West, East Coast and Texas. California was almost a no show, I only saw OD's I knew and no staff people or Opticians. VEW in the old days usually had a rush of LA-ites on Saturday who drive in, so I think that's why Saturday was so quiet... no LA rush this year. We are seeing a recovery all over the West but not in California yet.

For those that missed it, they rearranged the sales floor for the first time in many years and the change was great. There was more cross flow traffic, and when a vendor was absent they didn't just leave the space empty. Also, many vendors were required to freshen-up and remodel their booths, and the booths were grouped together better. Overall, the change was a huge improvement. Of course, I had to re-locate everyone after being in the same spot for 12 years. I would walk up to a familiar spot and not see the vendor I expected.

Despite the economic numbers in the papers, there was sense of optimism at VEW that had been missed recently. Vendor's staffed their booths better, there were a lot of fresh brands and fresh faces. People were looking forward despite what the economists say.

Thread Information