Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti fatigue lens

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anti fatigue lens

I have a client with a requst for Anti-fatgue lenses. Her Rx is +0.50 -0.75 x 82 / +0.75 -0.75 x 50 add +0.50. has anybody ever used this type of lens and what is your opinion, about them? thank you

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Had great results in both Hoya and Essilor product. The Tact lens by Hoya is a little more customed with 3 designs to choose from.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agree with ed, here. The antiFATigue lens works! The treatment/training is the same as for multifocals, but with more subtle phenomena. They will thank you...but, encourage them to keep using SV as well!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Agree with ed, here. The antiFATigue lens works! The treatment/training is the same as for multifocals, but with more subtle phenomena. They will thank you...but, encourage them to keep using SV as well!
    Cool lens, and a great idea. On mine, however, the alignment markings are HUGE and deeply etched, creating massive distractions in my peripheral vision when they catch the light at night.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

I have heard good things about them, but there are some better options for this RX (considering the astigmatism).

Rodenstock Impression Mono Aveo:
    Individual atoric single vision lens. The Aveo option is the "anti-fatigue" +0,50 Add.

Key advantages (other than the individual FreeForm atoric):
    Inset is perfectly positioned (it is an individual POW optimized lens).
    EyeLT technology --> The astigmatic magnitude and axis changes taking into consideration the eye movements when looking up close (Listing's Law).

Rodenstock Multigressiv Mono Aveo:
    Same thing but not fully individual: they take only the PD as a personalization parameter (the other POW parameters use fixed values).

EyeLT technology:
    http://www.perret-optic.ch/optometri...k_EyeLT_gb.htm
    http://www.rodenstock.com/rodb2c/com...html?docPart=0

Aveo option:
    http://www.rodenstock.com/rodb2c/com...Mono+Aveo.html
    http://www.rodenstock.com/rodb2c/com...html?docPart=0

Best regards,
    Nikolay Angelov
    Last edited by Nikolay Angelov; 09-23-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I disagree with the use of this lens for young people. It's like a crutch. Makes your natural lens lazier. Hope to hear some debate or information that would convince me otherwise. There are doctors here prescribing these lens to individuals 20 years old and younger. So whats up? Trying to make more money from SV lens users?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sorry, but....

Quote Originally Posted by mshimp View Post
    I disagree with the use of this lens for young people. It's like a crutch. Makes your natural lens lazier. Hope to hear some debate or information that would convince me otherwise. There are doctors here prescribing these lens to individuals 20 years old and younger. So whats up? Trying to make more money from SV lens users?
    I would have to disagree with your comment. Theoretically, using your "lazy" approach, ......all under-corrected, young eyes, lacking a -0.50 in correction, would be in the same situation.

Furthermore, why do we wait until a person needs a whole diopter or more of assist, before prescribing, or correcting?
    Last edited by uncut; 09-23-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: add to

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    this approach is not ideal for most younger patients with "eye strain." The most common problem among young patients is convergence (convergence insufficiency, basic exophoria, divergence excess), adding plus will only make their experience worse, if anything we should be looking to overminus these patients.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Furthermore, why do we wait until a person needs a whole diopter or more of assist, before prescribing, or correcting?
    Because most patients will not notice any difference until they "need" more than a dioter. That any most are reluctant to have the dreaded "bifocals."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    this approach is not ideal for most younger patients with "eye strain." The most common problem among young patients is convergence (convergence insufficiency, basic exophoria, divergence excess), adding plus will only make their experience worse, if anything we should be looking to overminus these patients.
    So, to address a muscular issue, you suggest creating a ciliary process/accommodation insufficiency?
    Last edited by uncut; 09-24-2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: add word

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    Because most patients will not notice any difference until they "need" more than a dioter. That any most are reluctant to have the dreaded "bifocals."
    I guess that's why they don't call it a bifocal!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

uncut,
    i wondered the same things myself. But when i asked all i got was advertisements .

The "documentation" i got was this:
    http://www.essilor.ie/shop/products/...ti-Fatigue.pdf

Then i started digging around the patent databases and found 2 patents that probably concern this lens:

WIPO Patent Application WO/2006/045642 -- MULTIFOCAL LENSES FOR PRE-PRESBYOPIC INDIVIDUALS
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/pdf...06045642A1.pdf

United States Patent 7540610 -- Ophthalmic lens
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/pdf.../US7540610.pdf

According to them the lens improves vision and comfort in early presbyopes with ADD insuficiancy below 0,75 (from where the the PAL range begins). It also reduces the convergence, by shifting part of the ADD from the eye to the lens (and since the accommodation and convergence are related the eyes converge less). It is thus helpfull for people with esoforia.

Important note from Essilor:
    Please note:
    ESSILOR ANTI-FATIGUE advanced prescription lenses are unsuitable for patients under 16 and patients with significant exphoria
    (http://www.essilor.co.uk/Lenses/lens...i-fatigue.aspx)

PS: The Anti-fatigue lens was launched September 2005 (useful when you search for patents).
    http://www.essilor.com/Essilor-Anti-Fatigue,190

PS2: There is another patent that fits the lens description but it is from a later date.

US Patent Application 20100060852 - SINGLE VISION SPECTACLE LENS:
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/pdf...0100060852.pdf

Here the change in power is used to increase the retinal image size and thus visual acuity when looking at short distances (especially in poor lighting conditions).

Best regards,
    Nikolay Angelov
    Last edited by Nikolay Angelov; 09-24-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: :-)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Cool lens, and a great idea. On mine, however, the alignment markings are HUGE and deeply etched, creating massive distractions in my peripheral vision when they catch the light at night.
    Are the markings on the Shamir version any less noticible?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Are the markings on the Shamir version any less noticible?
    I haven't seen them. But the AF lens has the largest alignments markings I have ever seen. It's got to be a full centimeter high.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Uncut's on target.

Antifatigue lens from Essilor is a +0.60 add. Whoopee. May as well Rx a +0.75 regular PAL, other than cost.

They work, well.

Oedema, you're off base.

Bad address email on file rickyforever's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    yeah,agree with this

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am wearing the Shamir Relax and love them. At 39, I know I am knocking on the door of progressives, but a recent exam let me know I'm not quite there yet! I was experiancing a fair amount of eyestrain and discomfort when spending long times on the computer or reading, and they really have helped. I barely notice the power shift and the lazer markings are not obvious at all.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm a 38 year old hyperope and wear an anti fatigue lens with an 0.75 add. I find it excellent when looking at fine detail at around 20cm. Wouldn't be without them now.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hey you 38 and 39 year olds, those "anti-fatique lens" that you are wearing, they are progressive lens. Don't be fooled! Maybe it makes you feel better saying you are in an "anti fatigue lens" rather than in some type of bifocal lens. I suppose all multifocal lens could be called anti fatigue lens. Leave it to essilor for great brain washing marketing. Wish I would of thought it! I have sold these lens we used an inexpensive long long corridor .75 progressive lens (not telling which brand). Ended up with less than a .62 power in the "Fatiguing" area of use. Hardly noticed the progessive even there. Oh, you know these lens are measured just like progressives. I wonder why???

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Hey you 38 and 39 year olds, those "anti-fatique lens" that you are wearing, they are progressive lens. Don't be fooled! Maybe it makes you feel better saying you are in an "anti fatigue lens" rather than in some type of bifocal lens. I suppose all multifocal lens could be called anti fatigue lens. Leave it to essilor for great brain washing marketing. Wish I would of thought it! I have sold these lens we used an inexpensive long long corridor .75 progressive lens (not telling which brand). Ended up with less than a .62 power in the "Fatiguing" area of use. Hardly noticed the progessive even there. Oh, you know these lens are measured just like progressives. I wonder why???
    .....and I suppose you would tell an 80 year old...."Hey you 79 and 81 year olds, those "incontinence pads" that you are wearing, they are diapers.", too!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Oedema, you're off base.
    How so? My comments reflect general sentiment of other OD's and what I observe of patient response, not necessarily how I ultimately prescribe. I've prescribed low add powers, they do help some people, but I'm not a fan of giving these to pure convergence insufficiency patients - which is who they seem to be marketed to...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I used the Antifatigue lens for about five years before going fully progressive. My own experience is positive, and I prescribe both AF and Hoya's Easyview with positive results, from age 13 to 45. Very few returns or adverse effects. The AF and EV lenses are problem solvers for both optometrists and the patients.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Client now has her AF lens and seems happy with them. We will wait and see the outcome. Thanks for your reponses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pro or con for the "AF" lenses......stop and think 20 happy......not really 20/20 but 20 happy. I wish the ones doing the refractions would take this into account. What you find in a little dark room is not necessarily what the pt likes in his real world...so again, make them 20 happy. Regardless of what OD's MD's or even us opticians may think....it is what makes the patient happy. Pt is happy and dont mind spending the $ then I am happy taking it. Its not a life or death decision we are making here. Throw out your thoughts and opinions and make your patient happy.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear one and on days when I'm spending most of the day at the computer staring at spreadsheets, I love it. LOVE.

34 years old. My RX -5.75 -.25 x 080
    -4.50 -1.25 x 35

Thread Information