Thread: "I never liked the frame you gave me"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"I never liked the frame you gave me"

"I don't like this frame you gave me last year. In fact I hate it." Really??? I never put a gun to their head and told them they better buy this frame or else! Out of the 750 frames we have that is the one THEY picked in the end. Wish more people would take respondsibility for their own choices. Thanks for listening to me vent. Happy friday everyone!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hear ya.......and I feel your pain!

Sometimes, they are simply thinking out loud, to justify their purchase to themselves or significant other.....and not aiming at you!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "I didn't give you anything. You selected it, bought it and paid for it." Now if you sell things to the patient who has just had an eye exam and can't see up close after dillation, or who's Rx is so strong that they can't see them on themselves and you have a way for them to see them on, then maybe they are the glasses that you selected for them.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    "I didn't give you anything. You selected it, bought it and paid for it." Now if you sell things to the patient who has just had an eye exam and can't see up close after dillation, or who's Rx is so strong that they can't see them on themselves and you have a way for them to see them on, then maybe they are the glasses that you selected for them.

Chip
    Nope. They're responsible for their own decisions. If they can't see something and they choose to buy it anyway, it's on them. I will gladly hold frames for patients to come back later when they're not dilated or when they can bring in a friend, and I often volunteer to take theior picture with my smartphone so they can see it. But it's their purchase, their responsibility.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good post. I always like the oldie but goodie, 'These aren't the frames I picked out!'

'No?' 'Oh right, I made a decision to choose a different frame for you after you left.'

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I first opened my office, I concidered running adds asking people to come by before visiting the eye doctor to make a selection or waiting a day after the exam before choosing frames. Why? Because in the years that I worked in a doctor's office I saw so many people that came in to pick-up glasses saying: "I came in to see what my new glasses look like, since I couldn't see the day I picked them out.
    I didn't run the add because an ophthalmologist friend told me that this would get too many dispensing prescribers upset.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Really? I'm sorry I'm only discovering your feelings now?
    How may I help you, and make you happy?!"

Whatever it is, I'll acknowledge that as an option, and start the dialogue by exceeding their expectations.
    Including exchange or refund.

Not always successful, but I try to think longer term.

B

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    That's a classic. Even in my humble four years experience.

I had about the same one, with a really annoying woman who was getting really on my nerves.
    She kept complaining about everything, the shop, the coffee (no, we don't have lattes), my collegues (!). In the end she added that she never liked the frame she bought (like two years ago) and held me responsible. I dodn't even work there at the time.

The conversation went something like this:

"...And you also made me choose an ugly frame. That's all your fault!"
    (Me suddenly all happy and smiling)> "In that case, we will retake the eye exam, choose a new frame and fit new lenses!"
    "REALLY?" Suprised, she never saw that one coming.
    (Me replying blankly)>"no"

That calmed her down, I call it shock-therapy. Only used on the hardest of cases.
    In the end she bought a frame and left happy-happy.
    Maybe she needed a bit of attention...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm slowly becoming a pessimist, so I've started telling my patients this at dispense: If you have any problems with your glasses, I need you to come in to me right away, don't wait six months to decide you either don't like your glasses or can't see out of them. I will have no authority to fix anything if you wait.

I actually did an Rx check that was from a prescription two years old because the patient told the doctor she was never able to see out of them, so I was instructed to figure out 'what was wrong with them'.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I has learned that most patients are ignorant or not well informed of how to choose a frame but they do know how to choose a pair of shoes. So they do not get frustrated if they can not buy the shoes he or she liked because they feel uncomfortable. Buying the right frame is more complicated because it should fit the patient ,be appropriate for the prescribed lenses and look good. if you do not take the time to inform the patient which is the right frame in his case even if not the prettiest one, you will have this and other complains. So 750 frames to choose from is not correct. Depending on the case some people has just a few options. I has seen things as that the frame chosen decide which multifocal the patient is going to wear it should be other way around you first choose the lens according to the patients need and then choose the frame where that lens can be mounted and also fits the patient. So not well informed patients are most likely to be a problem.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always like the one that goes.

"Hello lab representative, I just blew a lens in my edger because I was too distracted by the texting drama on my phone. I now need to reorder this lens at no charge."

Excuse me? Maybe its time you put on your big boy pants and own your mistake.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Bad address email on file rickyforever's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    this seems normal and i'm often confused about this too

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The chain I work in have a three-month warranty if the customer isn't happy with his/her purchase. If the new frame is more expensive, they only have to pay the difference. We have very few problems with unhappy customers.

As for customers opening up the conversation with "I'm not happy with the glasses I bought here three years ago", I sometimes respond with "I'm sorry to hear that. Why didn't you come in earlier and let us help you?". In those cases, I get the impression that the customer tries to get the upper hand and (in their eyes) a better bargaining position. Sometimes a small discount keeps them happy, sometimes just some extra attention does the trick.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do sit down with our patients and go over the best frames for Rx and face and help them narrow it down, but we do give them choices. We would never give a patient one frame and tell them "Well this is the only frame you can choose from." I think we have plenty to offer for everyone, and if you can't find anything on my boards I will sit down with you and look through catalogs and order something in for you to view. I still believe, ultimately it is there choice. If you don't like anything I have or can get, it is also your choice to take your Rx and shop around. If it is my fault because the patient wasn't infromed properly I am glad to remake/restyle my patients. When they want me to remake it a year later because they don't like the style of frame they chose, I don't see that as my fault. Again, I never told them they HAVE TO choose that frame. We even have 30 day Satisfaction where we will restyle you one time. Where do you draw the line? Don't get me wrong, most of our patients are wonderful, unfortunately it's the few that have no reason that stick with you the most.

Oh yeah, then there's the few who say quite loudly in a full office of patients, "All your frames are ugly! I don't like any of them." Kind of rude don't you think? They are kind of insulting everyone in your office including the other patient who just told you, "Oh my gosh you have so many cute frames." Gotta love people, they do keep life interesting don't they?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just had this situation happen to me a few weeks ago. It really doesn't happen too often though.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps the best answer to this is: "Well lets try to see that you pick out something you really like this time!

Can't see a single reason to offer new, or refund, or discount or even sympathy after a year or more.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "I don't like this frame you gave me last year..."

Keep your voice down! I'll get in trouble if my boss finds out I gave you a frame. I'm supposed to charge you for them.

Also love the comment, "Your glasses broke." No, my glasses are fine. It looks like you broke yours though.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwincky View Post
    "I don't like this frame you gave me last year. In fact I hate it."
    Never have but always wanted to come back with-- "Well look at what I had to work with!"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Never have but always wanted to come back with-- "Well look at what I had to work with!"
    1+++++

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am known as the most patient Optician in town, and that's one reason I have a rather large older lady fan club who always ask for me. I can, in fact only remember one time I did this in my 37 years of Opticianry. This older lady caught me at the wrong moment, and started complaining up and down about the glasses she bought from us 2 years prior, but she also came with a new rx in hand. I sat down with her, looked her square in the eye and said to her"Why in the world did you come back to us if you had so many difficulties 2 years ago?" It caught her off guard and so she remained silent as I got up and walked into the lab, never to see hert again.

Thread Information