OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

anyone fitted twins?

Do their rx's differ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If they are identical twins, they will differ, but only slightly. I have dispensed twins but have never seen 2 with perfectly identical RX's, but some are really close.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yes

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes and yes. Identical twins don't have to have similar Rx's. Did you know there are fraternal twins, identical twins and mirror twins. Have fitted several with contacts, K's may or may not be similar. Once had a pair that looked identical but one was as fair, blue eyed, and blond as she could be. The other was brunette and brown eyed with a darker complexion but facial structure, etc. seemed to be the same.
    Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Yes and yes. Identical twins don't have to have similar Rx's. Did you know there are fraternal twins, identical twins and mirror twins. Have fitted several with contacts, K's may or may not be similar. Once had a pair that looked identical but one was as fair, blue eyed, and blond as she could be. The other was brunette and brown eyed with a darker complexion but facial structure, etc. seemed to be the same.
    Chip
    I was referring to identical of course and cogenitcal onset. Btw, mirror is just another form of identical twins, variation in the monozygotic split.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    One of our former dispensers had mirror twins,and their Rx was very similar, though not exact. One time I saw an Rx like (don't remember the exact numbers) +4.50 -4.50 X135 OD, +4.50 -4.50 X45 OS. I thought, wow -oblique axis at that power,a bit unusual. Then got another Rx with only .25 cyl difference and about 5 degrees different axis. Turned out they were identical twins.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dblconcave View Post
    Btw, mirror is just another form of identical twins, variation in the monozygotic split.
    Off topic: I've heard it suggested that the gene for being left-handed was originated from this mirror-twin phenomenon. It's a recessive gene, and technically a mutation, but it was able to be passed down for generations and is more common now. I love watching lefties write or draw. To my brain, it just doesn't look possible! Our son is a leftie, and I love it.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Saw a long presentation on mirror twins. Oddly many things that one would not concider to be genetic, like ingrown toenails, several diseases, many of them not occurring until thier 30's and beyond would appear in one twin, and within months they would appear in the other on the opposite side of the body. Same toe, opposing foot.
    Kind of lead me to believe that lots of things we think occur as a result of environment are actually geneticly pre-disposed.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yes. One was a low minus the other a plano. Mom had to get both of them the same pair of glasses.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just remembered that many decades back we used to have identical twins for patients. One was blind (birth defect) with two prosthetic eyes, the other saw just fine.

Chip

Bad address email on file rickyforever's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    twins are mostly get the same rx's but different habits and customs may result in differ,so it depends

Thread Information