online glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• online glasses

For all of you that think online glasses are something new, check out ebay item

Self-Test Optometer

OPTOMETRIC INSTRUMENTS
    Optometer
    C. G. Optical Co.
    North America: USA, Illinois, Chicago
    Early 20th c.
    Cardboard; wood; glass
    Overall: 205 mm x 340 mm x 150 mm
    Optometer. Dark brown paper-covered cardboard construction. Wooden arm with fold-down handle/lens disc and target holder, each attached by a brass hinge. Disc contains fourteen lens apertures, marked 20-33 (no 22 is empty). Printed paper test target pasted to cardboard holder, with printed instructions below.

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 09-16-2011, 06:27 AM.

Comment

^^^ that pic is awesome ! so neat

Comment

Pretty slick!

What year approximately are these from?

Comment

I bet it almost works better than those kiosks that were all the rage the past couple of years...

Happy Friday!

Comment

poor subject line

Thanks for sharing something interesting, but almost didn't look at it.

The subject of internet glasses has been done ad nauseum, and I doubt I'm the only one ignoring most of those posts.

I'd suggest "re-threading" with a title more likely to be looked at.

Harry

Comment

glasses

h888, i would not have a clue how to rethread it, but a good sub title might be Chip Anderson probably has one, what was left out of this, was you then sent this in and they made your glasses, from the style of this at least 1940,s or older

Comment

internet glasses has been done ad nauseum.......................................

Originally posted by harry888 View Post

The subject of internet glasses has been done ad nauseum, and I doubt I'm the only one ignoring most of those posts.

Actually ignoring those post's is ignoring the ones that rock the boat..................they want and might just about bury the B&M optical stores, of which you are also part.

Comment

Speaking of online glasses, its been quite a while since I've seen a pair or had anyone ask for a pd.
                  Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Wes View Post
                    Speaking of online glasses, its been quite a while since I've seen a pair or had anyone ask for a pd.
                    Not here in GA! Had a patient ask me for his PD just yesterday and I had a guy call asking me to walk him through online ordering!

Comment

These weren't online or long distance sales. This device was part of a
                      so-called "Optometry Self Test Kit" intended for door-to-door salesmen
                      to take orders for glasses. Besides this gadget the kit included a nose
                      bridge size measuring device, a pair of cardboard glasses to measure the
                      length of the temples and a regulation eye chart device. It came with a
                      LOT of instructions and sales advice. They came out in 1951 and were
                      advertised in some metro newspapers and such magazines as Popular
                      Science and Popular Mechanics. The FTC started issuing injunctions
                      against them in 1955 but they lasted until 1959. Some otherwise
                      reputable sources date them as early as 1910 but the two-digit city
                      code didn't start until 1943. I believe the glasses retailed for $15
                      and of course they were simple readers with minimally personalized
                      frames.

The thing sold for $148.50 plus shipping on the 'bay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OpticalDevice1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	868063Click image for larger version

Name:	OpticalDevice4.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	868064

Comment

i'll take a try

Comment

How does Zenni optical get away with not putting a country of origin on their frames? I believe it is a federal law. Our Lions Club collects glasses for recycling to third world countries and there are many Zenni frames all without country of origin.

Comment

Zombie thread!!!
                            I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

Working...
                            X