Thread: And Speaking Of PDs

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

And Speaking Of PDs

Here are the results of a recent poll taken from the OptiBoard equivalent for Optometrists:
    It has no statistical value and of course it is biased by many factors, however I thought you might want to see it since this seems to be a very hot topic at the moment.
    Thank you to Paul and ODWire

This topic on the Para Professional forum adds an additional dimension since we have owner/ opticians having to resolve this charge or not charge issue.

Our paraprofessional members do not have access to the opinon poll that might assist in their decision making. here is the Poll...

My PD decision

I will supply PD information and service outside eyewear free for my patients
    23.26%

I will supply the PD information but charge a fee for servicing eyewear purchased elsewhere 
35.07%

I will supply PD because it is state law but no service on outside purchases

12.50%

I will NOT supply PD under any circumstances

16.67%

No decision made on this issue up to now

12.50%

As you can see there is no consensus among ODs.

Owner opticians earn the vast majority of income in the sale of eyewear. Can they afford not to charge for adjusting and taking responsibility eye wear purchased elsewear?

Optometrists can be more flexible in the hope that the good will will result in a new patient. Would they be as flexible not charging if a non-patient would request completion of a motor vehicle form?

An approach to an alternative for a fee for PD measurement that has not been discussed on any of these topics. No charge as a courtesy but request for a contribution to a local charity in lieu of a professional charge for services.

That would eliminate the nickel and dime image of the Eye Care Professional and place the tightwad onus on the individual to contribute to a local charity the bowel being in public view in the office.

How about some additional thoughts from dispensing opticians especially those with an equity interest in the dispensary.

Yes, they would like to hear from you about your thoughts on this topic over on ODWire.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Craig has always done the contribution to charity thing.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Bump. Very surprised this thread hasn't gotten more responses.

"Owner opticians earn the vast majority of income in the sale of eyewear. Can they afford not to charge for adjusting and taking responsibility eye wear purchased elsewhere?

Optometrists can be more flexible in the hope that the good will will result in a new patient. Would they be as flexible not charging if a non-patient would request completion of a motor vehicle form?"

I was going to point out something similar in another pd thread. To an independent (or retail, even) optician, if a person comes to your store only seeking a pd, he was never YOUR customer to begin with. Might he be in the future?

I find myself reading the pros and cons, and I think the variety of responses are due as much or more to customer/patient base (high end shop/budget shop, Manhattan neighborhood/backwoods appalachians) as they are due to the particular posters' ideas of service.

Right answer? I don't think any one answer is always correct. But for now I stick with "we currently do not offer that service."
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Every person that walks into my store represents an opportunity to create a favorable impression, not only on them but anyone they are with as well as anybody else in listening distance.

Not only will I gladly provide the assistance they are seeking but I will ask them if they need their glasees cleaned and nose pads changed at no charge. I will not solicit a donation, but the opportunity to donate will be very visible from where I seat them at my counter.

This will also present their entourage with an opportunity to look around a little while I work on their glasses, my ultimate goal . If I can make just one sale a month in this fashion then it is well worth it.

Customers remember the little things, both positive and negative.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As we all should know, PD's for low Rx's are one thing, but higher Rx's or ANY progressive Rx is quite another thing. POW measurements then bocome critical and there is no way for online to adequately measure for that. Not to mention adjustments become critical also. I just had a pt in my shop picking out some frames to take home for his wife's approval. My co-worker was assisting him and he had about a dozen frames. she got held up with a phone call and I kiddingly said You're buying all those? He then told me the plan to show 4 or 5 to the wife so I asked him to try them on.He has a high bridge and it was immediately apparent that most of the frames he was looking at did not fit low or close enough and not enough panto. I told him this and explained that with an improper fit he would have more side distortion and a much narrower field of view. We quickly adjusted his collection of wife-approval frames.

Thread Information