Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dividing your dispensary - Ins side / non-ins side

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Dividing your dispensary - Ins side / non-ins side

Is it possible to divide your dispensary up into two sections: A section that pts can select frames in which their can utilize their insurance benefits for, and a section, well, if they want those frames they can't? In other words, Hey, I know you may want this frame in the non-ins side, but we don't deal with insurance companies on this side - you'll have to pay cash if you want that frame. You may want to look at the other side of the dispensary, there are still 1000 to choose from, and your ins benefits will cover them?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I supose you could. I have frame in my office I don't allow any insurance/discounting on. I also have frame I gleefully use insurance with. So, yes I don't see why you couldn't. if your an in network VSP provider your going to have a problem when someone calls to complain that their coverage didn't work on a section of frames.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds like a LOT of extra work, to me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Pt complaining, etc aside, is there really anything an ins co can do about it? Do they have the power to tell you want frames you can and can not offer as long as you meet quality standards?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Have a seperate room, with a bouncer at the doorway. Have him check insurance cards like he would ID's.

Then let the appropiate patients through the velvet rope area of the VIP room..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    Have a seperate room, with a bouncer at the doorway. Have him check insurance cards like he would ID's.

I was thinking more of an Ark like display case, with a golden glow and Angelic music coming from it - more subtle.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would you discriminate?

How would you feel if the tables were turned and you walked into a store, or a doctors office and faced similar discrimination?

How would this serve your bottom line?

What image would this project?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post

Don't Laugh but there's an office in chicago that has a VIP room. Me, I just have wine glasses and anyone's welcome to toast.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @Diopterman How is it discrimination? all are eligable to purchase the product. the question is, whether your willing to go out of pocket. As to image, he'd probably start to find a more affluent discriminating clientelle.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    @Diopterman How is it discrimination? all are eligable to purchase the product. the question is, whether your willing to go out of pocket. As to image, he'd probably start to find a more affluent discriminating clientelle.
    Just my take on the question at hand.

Here is how I am visualizing this question:

Cash pay sit at the front of the bus.

Insurance holders sit at the back!

Are my views wrong?

I know it is how I would feel.

Also, if you (not you Kcount, the collective you) feel the need to treat insurance carrying patients different than cash pay patients, why take insurance in the first place?

Maybe those that would discriminate should reevaluate their business plan. Why not embrace the insurance patient and educate yourself as to how to maximize profits? I will even venture to say that overall, the insurance base patients, equate to much more profit for your business than the elusive cash pay patient!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well.... my intent of the question was to discuss if it was possible with ins companies. You're concerns are well noted and the same concerns I would have. To answer the last part of your last response, there are situation where you can actually lose money on a frame when you accept ins.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    Well.... my intent of the question was to discuss if it was possible with ins companies. You're concerns are well noted and the same concerns I would have.
    Good!

Have you checked your contracts? There may be points or clauses that follow this and TELL you how you can and can not treat THEIR client. I have not sat with my lawyers and reviewed any of these contracts in years, so I may be urinating into a hurricane on this one. You MAY NOT be able to "separate" the dispensary under your agreement. Hopefully someone who is knowledgeable and has read various contracts can chime in.

Where is Racethe1320 when we NEED her/him?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Contracts don't address it head on. Maybe in some round about manner. Not treating anyone differently, I would agree with Kcount - they have options. If you would like to use your insurance, these are the frames you can select from. If you prefer not to use your insurance, then you can also select from these frames. They can choose which they want, and if they don't like it, they can drive down the street about 1/2 mile and select from my competitors selection.
    Last edited by AustinEyewear; 08-26-2011 at 03:45 PM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    Contracts don't address it head on. Maybe in some round about manner. Not treating anyone differently, I would agree with Kcount - they have options. They can choose which they want, and if they don't like it, they can drive down the street about 1/2 mile and select from my competitors selection.
    I go back to asking you, why would you discriminate?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If you have price tags color code the tags, much easier to explain and doesn't discriminate.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    interesting - who can blame them. retail goods are a little different situation though. will honor all ins as specified, all optics, as specified, just some frames can't be sold at a discount - some contracts with frame vendors do not allow you to sell less than MSRP.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why not start your own "insurance" or patient loyalty plan or club. Patient pays a fee for membership. Exclusive frames for only those patients...like a VIP davis rack...include VIP service as well...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do have board space with frames that are in most insurance price ranges, but there for everybody else as well. I don't advertise them unless someone says I have insurance and want to stay with what they cover.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why separate them? I tell them their insurance gives them, as an example, $120 towards a frame and a discount on the balance and I tell them they can choose any frame they want. If they don't want to pay out of pocket for a frame we have 4 trays with frames that retail in the $75 - $99 range. I don't ever assume a patient wants only whats covered and tell them there is no restrictions on what they can get.

Funny enough we had a patient in who had VSP and had gotten glasses at another provider last year. Every single lens option for him was covered. He had a poly physio in trans grey with a/r. These lenses were in a large ugly plastic Marchon frame that he told me he hated. I asked him why he got this frame and he told me "because there was a section that I could choose from if I wanted to use my insurance". He left our office with a two pair order for $700. I simply told him he could get what ever he wanted and we would use any insurance benefit he had to reduce the cost on the glasses HE wanted. ***I know not every Insurance patient is like this, but food for thought on assuming.

~CBO

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wonderful!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    He left our office with a two pair order for $700. I simply told him he could get what ever he wanted and we would use any insurance benefit he had to reduce the cost on the glasses HE wanted. ***I know not every Insurance patient is like this, but food for thought on assuming.

~CBO
    You know what they say about assuming......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love the idea! you just need 2 different corporate entity to do this!

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    You know what they say about assuming......
    Actually, I don't . . ... because I never do ;)

Bad address email on file rickyforever's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    sounds like a good idea but how

Thread Information