Thread: Optical Link Exchange Programs

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Optical Link Exchange Programs

Do any doctors or offices here use any Link Exchange program? If so, what do you use?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tom Tooma View Post
    Do any doctors or offices here use any Link Exchange program? If so, what do you use?
    As in for SEO or exposure? For SEO it's just plain a bad idea (I also do web development). I won't go into all the reasons why, but it's old advice that's actually harmful now. For exposure, just make sure it's a quality one that appeals to your target market, the kind of patients you'd like to see.

Cheers!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Having collected close to 6,500 reciprocal links ...............................

Having collected close to 6,500 reciprocal links over a 10 year period and listed on 10 pages it has tremendously helped the traffic ranking of my website. Search engines will not differentiate if they are optical or just gardening. As long as it is reciprocalwhich is sending crawlers back and forth you will be a winner.
    Check it at: http://optochemicals.com/web_links8.htm

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

The Accurate Truth

Again, if people are going to see the links and get to your site via the directory, than by all means, definitely! Google analytics can give you a heads up if those links are producing any audience.

When it comes to SEO, SEOMoz.or is the bible for it. The user articles are generally quality, but don't have quite the authority. Anyway, here's what Rand, the preeminent SEO authority (or one of them anyway) has to say:
    http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-wisdom-folly-of-directory-link-building

It's a bit long, but the gist is, bad links from poor site hurt you. Quality links from good sites help you. Link farming is bad. Quality directories can be good.

Anyway, SEO has a ton of old myths, but that's the gist of it.

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Thanks for the info guys!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As someone who does this for a living (I get paid to perform SEO) I can say that Chris's Alexa ranking is significant. It took him years and a lot of hard work to get there.

But I'll be if "sonOfhobs"'s website was analyzed, his Alexa ranking would be equally impressive, since he knows enough to know SEOMoz.org and Rand (I bet you watch the Friday Whiteboards, don't you!!?? ;-}

My Alexa ranking on only ONE of my sites is twice as good as Chris's, and it didn't take me NEARLY as long, NOR have I amassed SIX THOUSAND backlinks (paid or otherwise). In many ways, sonOfhobs is right... there's a lot of myths out there about SEO. But unfortunately, Chris is ALSO right... LINKS are still extremely important. I think the pearl of wisdom here is that SEO takes hard work, and if you're looking for the "silver bullet," that's akin to the "get rich quick" mentality that winds up bankrupting many people. You'll wind up HURTING your site if you're constantly looking for a "silver bullet" instead of rolling up your sleeves and doing some dirty work. Bottom line = Links matter. So does context/quality of link. BUT SO DOES A LOT OF OTHER STUFF (check out SEOMOz)

(and NO, I don't work for SEOMoz! I derive NO income from them, nor do I pay for any of their services. I DO reference their site and learn from them.)

Thread Information