View Poll Results: Should ABO require an AS for certification?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 73.53%
  • No

5 14.71%
  • Not sure

4 11.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should ABO require an AS for certification?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Should ABO require an AS for certification?

Given the fact that education can be the salvation of Opticianry as a profession and provided anyone currently in the system through alternative methods (apprentices) is grandfathered, should ABO require an AS for certification?
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think I understand where you're going with this poll, however, keep in mind that the ABO exam as written is designed to test minimum competency and nothing more. That is the reasoning behind the implementation of practical examinations by individual states. The only thing that will save Opticianry are Opticians viewing themselves as professionals deserving of a post-secondary education. Remember, not too many years ago, refracting was going to "save" Opticianry and few Opticians took that seriously enough to invest in the class time. Most large employer groups and student Opticians are looking for the fastest way to obtain a license when it is required and a good solid education is not it. Until we change that mindset, simply raising the educational requirement for the ABO will not suffice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Judy

You bring up realistic situations about the "optician" who is looking for the fastest way to a license. Don't you think ABO/NCLE should be a leader in the educational standard of our profession? I would definitely say that the national organization that represents my views would be looking to the future and that future would include an increase in education standards.

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I realize that the ABO represents the minimum requirement for Opticianry, the problems I see daily are ABO opticians that are not able to use a lensometer or do easy repair work or a decent adjustment, seems like many folks get their ABO and have little interest to learn more because it is easy to earn credits to keep certification. I'm in favor that the ABO should make it a little tougher to keep our certification.
    Rich R

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I don't think we can wait for opticians to do it themselves...

Judy et al,
    I don't think we can wait for opticians to do it themselves.The ABO ( and I'm not in my office so I can't read what the certificate says) said something about fostering collegiate education.(I will read it tomorrow and make correction if necessary-my certificate was in 1972)
    It is apparent that the minimum competency level is low enough to allow certification to all who spend a minimum time preparing.This has served to water down the "professional" status of opticians.

If you consider that it will be nigh to impossible to raise the bar through legislation of the individual license states, then the only avenue left to do this are the credentialing organizations.Either this is a worthwhile goal, or it is not.That is where I am going with this.I am encouraged to see we all are in agreement with this (so far!)It is my hope that all who visit this forum will respond with their gut feeling-Not to be confused with "Is it possible", which is something WE can make happen.

best to all from hj
    Lord Byron

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Not Sure...

Speaking a licensed and A.S. Ophthalmic Dispenser, you would think that I would be all over the A.S. requirement. However, ECC's Ophthalmic Dispensing program, which combined with another Dispensing program (that closed shop a few years ago), is graduating 8 students this year. The year after they have 9 students. There is rumor that if the program cannot get any more interest, then it will be shut down. Until there is a National standard, then there is no hope.

I believe that there should be 3 degree programs for Opticinary, they are:

1. Certificate program- by mail or attendance. 18 months is plenty of time to pass the ABO/NCLE.

2. A.S.- Attend school for 2 years taking optics courses and a refraction course.

3. B.A.- After the 2-year program, a B.A. is awarded as a Ophthalmic Technician and JCAHPO certification is also granted.

A prospective student can go to a Technical College and get a degree in computers and make more than an Optician can.

I guess the next question would be…is low enrollment good for Opticianry? Either:

1. The demand will be higher as less graduate, so salaries should be higher as a result.

--OR— (the most likely)

2. If enrollment in an A.S. Optical Program continues to decline, there will be a national lobby by the chains to remove the licensing component for all states. I can foresee the chains making this argument and the ABO or other Groups will cave in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Kevin

Strength is in numbers. I think that you and I and Harry and all the rest of us should write a letter to ABO/NCLE with our concerns and demand that the issue of formal education be visited and acted on by their board. If we can finally get the momentum moving in our direction the chains could latch on to the fact that by having an educated optician working for them the public will perceive them as a "quality" operation. Great marketing tools like that would certainly gain them market share and respectibility (bringing return business). Any smart business executive knows that the public demands quality over price. Quality comes from an educated dispenser.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Admire enthusiasm but.....

Jerry et al,

The purpose of this thread is to get a handle on the opinion of a cross section of our members, not to take action.

ABO/NCLE etc have brought this profession where it is today.While it falls far short of perfection, the profession is a lot better off than it would have been without them.

Forward thinking opticians can do a lot to shape the future of Opticianry.This can take place through a leadership effort.Leadership is accomplished by pulling not pushing.It will be counterproductive to demand anything.

Kevin, there are many reasons for a declining enrollment in Optical schools.An overall decline in all healthcare enrollments, poor recruitment efforts by the institutions, poor compensation of the profession as a whole, the economics of earning while you learn (apprenticeship) vs a 2 year program, and finally a system which allows the employers low employment costs....are the major reasons for this decline.

To hear that the viable programs of Erie, and Quinsigamond have fallen on hard times is indeed bad news.They along with the others have given us our best opticians.What a shame this is!

hj
    Lord Byron

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

not all schools are declining...

On a positive note, I want to let you know that not all schools are declining. In fact, those colleges involved with distance learning will tell you that enrollment is way up.

Our enrollment has tripled since implementing distance learning, and we have held these numbers for two years now.

I voted yes, although I realize that it won't just happen by asking for it.

It is good to see the general concensus on this board turn around in regard to formal education for opticians.

: )

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Laurie

We have five schools in Ohio with the Opticianry program. They all seem to be struggling for enrollment. There numbers have been flat as far as increasing class size. If you have a magic bullet to improve these numbers, could you contact them and advise them on a program of recruitment. You can find them at our state web site under opticianry schools OAO.ORG .

Jerry

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to agree with Judy concerning the goal of the ABO.

There is one point that bugs me. The fact that the only some of licensed states have a next step, practical exams. Wouldn't the next step to the ABO be a national practical? That way, the criteria that could differentiate licensed from unlicensed states, until there is national licensure, would be mandatory formal education.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

better late than never?

Hi Jerry,

I just noticed that you wanted me to reply to the condition of the opticianry schools...

better late than never?

We have no magic bullet, just alot of hard work. I have already communicated with Dawn Defalco from Owens...

She is on the right path, getting involved with the NFOS. The other colleges need to attend our meetings. We have already created the materials, but it is not a turn-key degree. Each college will have to work with the materials and fine tune them so they work in their area.

If you communicate to these educators, the message is without a doubt distance learning. It is alot of hard work, but will turn their program around. I will work with them, but they need to come to the meetings...

Laurie

Bad address email on file GatorGirl's Avatar

As/ABO

I vote yes, even though I had a comment with it. We can not expect this any time soon. With the exception of Laurie's program, there are limited access to formal education in Florida except for Tampa and Miami. If people are aware the program, great, but if not they are screwed.

Education is the way to go, but the oppportunity needs to be reachedable to all.

The reason I know so few people know about Lauries's program is that I had someone call my office and question me about formal education. She told me she had call several other places and they told her the only way to get it was to go to Tampa or Miami.(by the way I told her Laurie's name and how to find the optiboard)

Just had to put my two cents in

Christina

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

thanks, Christina!

We can always use the plug.

Now opticians in Florida can earn apprenticeship hours as well by taking our courses. It takes a long time to get the word out, and I really appreciate your help!

Laurie

Bad address email on file GatorGirl's Avatar

Big Smile a.s in florida

I think anything we can do to make things better is important. My question is how are we going to promote this in Northern Florida.

Christina

ps I might be in class in August if all works out:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile GatorGirl

The question should be how are we going to accomplish this nationally?

:D Jerry

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Getting the word out

Hi Christina and Jerry,

Christina, are you going to be an "in-house student" or an "Internet student"?

We can provide access to opticianry education now to anyone in the country. The only difference is cost, where out of state residents have to pay a higher tuition rate...

All Internet students have to come to Tampa or Ft. Myers the first day for orientation and registration, and the rest is done by watching videotapes, working with us via the Internet, Proctors and hands-on locations around the state.

The state optician associations are a good place to get the word out.

Jerry, to accomplish this nationally, we need more people from the colleges to attend the nfos meetings and develop their plan. In fact, I am flying up to North Carolina in two weeks to meet with the nfos distance learning committee to finish up the lab practicals. If you can get ahold of any of the program directors of the optical programs in your state and ask them to contact me, I will be happy to help get them started.

Laurie : )

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Laurie

Could you post a link to your website?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laurie:

Does your course include real life dispensing including frame repair, optical math, etc?

Could you post a curriculum outline?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Laurie

What kind of tuition do you have for out of state students?

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

distance learning degree

Hi guys,

Our distance learning degree includes all of the stuff our "in-house" degree offers. The only difference is that the students do their labs off site, with experienced opticians we help set them up with.

Attached is an information packet...

In-state tuition: $55.00 per credit, plus $20.00 per course technology fee

Out of state tuition: $165.00 per credit, plus $20.00 per course technology fee

Soon we will graduate our very first class! (they started in August 200). Look for pictures and story in Vision Monday which will be submitted by the fabulous Karlen Lamparelli.

Laurie
    Attached Files Attached Files

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

If not AS then National Practical

As someone who has an AS in OPtical Technology, as well as 20 years experience, I feel that I am better off as a more "complete" Optician. By having training in Optics, lab work ( hey!, we had to hand surface a glass slab off), contact lens fabrication, as well as dispensing, my graduating classmates were far ahead of others entering our field. By the way, this was in OR, a non licensed state. Nearly all of them entered the field as managers for various optical shops.

If the ABO doesn't see fit to pass AS requirement, the minimum should include a National Practicum. Just passing a multile choice exam is not enough. What good is passing a minimum compentacy exam if you have no skill in applying it? I can tell you from experience here in WA state that the state license test really challenged your competency, especially the practical.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Lee

Bravo!

OptiBoard Professional bren_03825's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately, my state (NH) has no licensing, but does have registration. The only problem is that ANYONE at all can pay $100
    and become a Registered Optician. There are no learning requirements, except ce to keep registration. Avg salary for an optician is 17-22K/yr. Anything we can do to promote minimum ed requirements, and professional status, will help us all!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Brendan

You're absolutely right .
    Anything we can do to promote minimum ed requirements, and professional status, will help us all!
    I hope that we continue to move the educations standards to higher levels. We all have to keep demanding it.

Thread Information