Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new one for me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another new one for me.

People are so unbelievable. Woman just came in wanting to exchange the frame she picked out because of reflections from the bottom of the clear plastic eyewire. Fine, no problem, I said, but of course you will have to pay any upgrade price if there is a price difference. She starts yelling at me that I told her she could come back with any problem and I would fix it and she was going to pick out whatever frame she wanted in the store and I would switch it for her.

I've decided that i'm going to buy a '97 Kia Sofia, drive it around, bring it back, and demand that they replace it with a 2012 BMW 7 series because I don't like the reflections off the windshield.

Unreal.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's unfortunate so many customers nowadays have no grip on reality.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's probably too late now but monofilliment does come in assorted colors. Many frame companies have probably sent you samples (stuffed away in a forgotten drawer) in almost every color of the rainbow. Next time just change the color of the string.
    As to the other I have been astounded on things that people have said I said or did. Or what thier doctor said or did that had nothing to do with what actually was said or done. Have told patient's for years to clean CL cases once a week with Johnson's Baby shampoo and a tooth brush. Many have twisted this to say: "You told me to clean the lenses with it." Or many say I told them to use it as a wetting solution. And the number of people that think they are to clean thier lenses with tooth paste (glasses, contacts hard and soft) scares me.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    People are so unbelievable. Woman just came in wanting to exchange the frame she picked out because of reflections from the bottom of the clear plastic eyewire. Fine, no problem, I said, but of course you will have to pay any upgrade price if there is a price difference. She starts yelling at me that I told her she could come back with any problem and I would fix it and she was going to pick out whatever frame she wanted in the store and I would switch it for her.
    The really sad aspect is that people like this can vote, with the obvious consequences

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry,
    They did vote and hired the same type of people as themselves to run your country.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    seriously. Tell her we are going back to the beginning where she picks out a new frame. Calculate the new price. If the new frame is higher, duh, any optician would charge the difference! And if she makes any lens upgrades at that point, duh, she'd owe that too. Whatever the final choice is that's what you charge her minus the credit for monies already paid! Ummm, "Tell her that's the norm of our industry if she picks something pricer!" And the norm of any other industries for that matter!! What's the new frame $20, $40 more. Awhs! If she doesn't like it, I'm sure you have some similar to do an even exchange & would be absolutely delighted too. Good luck. It's pretty simple math. So she oughta get it. Oh, she just wants to ruffle her feathers. If the new frame is $50 more, the most I'd do :to shut her up, (appease) is say hey, here's my offer, I'll meet you have way on the difference, but that would be a very nice jesture on your part! Please pardon my late night spelling! Good luck!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This kind of situation is why I declined to chime in on the "The Customer is Always Right" thread last month...
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People become like that because they usually do end up getting what they want. If one really doesn't care about being a jerk, one is unfortunately often and unjustly rewarded for it. I know several people like that who are already prepared to complain before even buying things because they know they will get more just to satisfy them. Every time your child whines and you give them what they want instead of what's proper, you've made your kid that much more one of these people. And they can't be fixed. But maybe they can be convinced to shop at Walmart instead.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Or she's a bully...

About 1 in 17---

http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?sec...mental_illness

Some day's it seems every other patient through the door!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No kidding, and I hate to say it, but it seems like the majority of them are middle aged and older women. I can typically handle the most cranky man, but these types of women bring out the worst in me.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    It's unfortunate so many customers nowadays have no grip on reality.
    Oh, they know!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oddly I had a patient complaining about the grooved edge reflection problem today and I haven't even made her glasses yet. Appearently she has had this complaint before and doesn't want to experience it again in new glasses.

Chip

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I see that we have the same customers both side of the ocean....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've encountered the problem with reflections before, and in those cases I've offered to remove the polished flat edge, aiming for a satin finish instead. That would solve the problem without the hassle of replacing the frame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we had a lady that was pretty dark skinned and didnt like the halo around the lenses from the groove. so i tried a black line in the groove, kinda helped but she still didnt like them. so we restyled her, from a $220.00 frame to a $340.00 frame. She complained so hard about the price she decided she didnt want to deal with it right then and that she would pay the difference when she came back. upon walking back through the door with her accomplice, she imediatly started complaining about the price. I then informed her that we did NOTHING with the new frame because it hasnt been paid for (she came in thinking she wouldnt have to pay), after ignighting her rocket pack and heading for the roof, she noticed i was less than interested to hear what she had to say (could be from me walking away) and said she would go somewhere else, so i asked if she wanted a refund (that would have been perfect, let her go somewhere else im not a fan of problem patients). She must have tried this at every office in the city because she paid the difference!
    equal opportunity offender!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was actually a clear vision core zyl frame that was clear on the bottom, that was what was bothering her. However, I've had the issue with grooved before, and I say, just say no to edge polish.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @optilady:

That's why they ceased being popular before......in the 70's...due to reflections set up by the 2 approximately 45 degree angles created by the frame groove. The manufacturers usually compensated for the phenomena by tinging the clear to a flesh, grey, or blue tone. Edge polishing was rarely offered back then, but that certainly aggravates the condition, today.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It was actually a clear vision core zyl frame that was clear on the bottom, that was what was bothering her. However, I've had the issue with grooved before, and I say, just say no to edge polish.
    We do matte edge finishes on nearly all nylon or rimless jobs, unless the customer requests polished edges. Even then, we always advise them of the potential for distracting reflections.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ahhh but it wasnt the polish, it was the groove. The groove created a halo, it was even more noticeable without the polish. Best part, this wasnt her first pair of semi rimless, she had the same issue with her old ones until the groove got filled with face grease.
    equal opportunity offender!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One could always put dirt in the groove.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    One could always put dirt in the groove.
    Or some face cheese from the old pair. Pack it in just like you put grease in a bearing.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a new one yesterday. A patient came in with her old glasses in hand. She showed me what she liked about them and told me what she wanted in new ones. Then she put the old ones in her bra. I've seen that with money, but that was the first time with glasses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    I had a new one yesterday. A patient came in with her old glasses in hand. She showed me what she liked about them and told me what she wanted in new ones. Then she put the old ones in her bra. I've seen that with money, but that was the first time with glasses.
    That is a new one for me. However, I will sheepishly admit to the fact that when I walk my dog while wearing clothes without pockets, that is where the dog poop bag goes prior to harboring poop.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is a new one for me. However, I will sheepishly admit to the fact that when I walk my dog while wearing clothes without pockets, that is where the dog poop bag goes prior to harboring poop.
    Ewwwww! Thanks for the image.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No problem as long as it is pre-poop.

Thread Information