Thread: What is it going to take to get licensing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question What is it going to take to get licensing

in all the states? In another thread someone refered to it as "unionizing". What is your thoughts and how would or have you approached the legislature of your state?

Brainstorming might help us come up with some ideas in gaining licensing in those non-licensed states.

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Something we will never have. Honest politicians who will vote on bills strictly on merrit and not on the pressures of those with the most clout.

Another possiblility: Some horrible optical result from some bad optical product resulting in a huge lawsuit (like asbestos, or something similar) where the politicians feel the public outcry brings them to a point "where the just have to come and protect the public." This one (the potential law) really scares me.

HOWEVER there is one word of hope. Congressis presently investigating rip offs by the funeral industry. Where the FTC got it's hat handed to them some years back as they were just about to pass "Eyeglass II" which would required release of contact lens Rx's was when they took on the funeral industry. The clout of the morticians was enough to chop the FTC down before we got our ticket.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Get it together

Other than the fact that opticians can't agree on who or what they are.....

and

Other than the fact that opticians are genreally so self assured in their ignorange of who they are....

We could get some state leaders together at the National Conference of State Legislatures in Denver CO July 23 - 27. There is booth space available where we could not only share ideas with legislators from across the country but maybe even get our own act together a bit more.

Ah, but that would probably be to much like putting our money where our mouth is!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Once again, in the age old pursuit of licensure of opticians to get a foothold of "who we are", count me out.

Having been a mortician in the great state of Connecticut back in the 70's, it's not what you know but who you know. It's all political B.S. I know this will get some flack from the licensing group, but hey, it's my opinion. I have to pay to show my worth when I show it every day of the week. I get a piece of cardboard to hang on the wall to show my proficiency as an optician. Might as well do mail order pastorship.

As for the FTC and mortuary work, it was back in the early 70's that the FTC got involved in packaged pricing. Funeral homes has to break down costs for the consumer right down to the cost of the shaving cream used on the body.

Bob V.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Licensing

Licensing is something that has been an on going issue for the 30 years I have been an Optician. I feel strongly that it is necessary, and will help any way I can. I am to be at the OAA/SEOC meeting, and will meet with any group to discuss it. There are ways to make it happen, but it will take a concerted effort and the realization that we ourselves will need to make some adjustments.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What do you want to do?

.... that you are not already doing in unlicesed states? If opticians want to be simply recognized for what they already do then the price will be hellish. If they just want more money and job security, then go ahead and try and unionize. Don't look for me on the picket lines.

First, a clear, definable, documentable and demonstratable difference will have to be shown to the state legislators, that people are being harmed in unlicesed states because of poor eyewear ( i include contact lenses here) dispensing. A great opportunity will be the July 23-27 National Conference of Legislators in Denver, CO

If you can't prove that, then you have one of two choices:
    1) go home and shut up
    or
    2) buy the legislative process in order to obtain trade restrictions for you type of business. Here it is; put-up or shut-up.

The question is: Is the time effort, energy and cash upfron cost every going to pay out in a fashion that will be appreciated by all?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Licensing

I agree with Homer that the price will be high, but I think it will be worth it. Keep in mind, it will require adjustments. Many Opticians today are poorly trained. The realization is this: we must do our part as well. If we are to be recognized as a licensed health care profession, we must do more than measue seg heights and write receipts. We must expand our knowledge base through education and expand scope of practice. It can be done, and many of us are willing to help. We will need everyone to do their part. Meet us at OAA and we'll talk about it.

Warren

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Homer

You are right "put up or shut up". We will be sending someone to the National Conference of Legislators in Denver. We have to voice our opinions and convince legislators that there is a need to have every state licensed. As Warren said:
    The realization is this: we must do our part as well. If we are to be recognized as a licensed health care profession, we must do more than measue seg heights and write receipts. We must expand our knowledge base through education and expand scope of practice. It can be done, and many of us are willing to help. We will need everyone to do their part.
    To those who think licensing is not necessary, you have no security in knowing if what you are doing today will be taken away by the legislative efforts of other groups (be it fitting contact lenses or using a lensometer or talking to a patient about their prescription). If you want to make sure that the skills you have acquired are secure and you will be able to fully use your knowledge GET INVOLVED IN THIS BATTLE!!!

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Thread Information