Thread: Seiko Supercede Vs Supercede WS?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused Seiko Supercede Vs Supercede WS?

We have a # of progressive buyers who we suggested Seiko Supercedes due to the quality & wider field however I'm not sure if the WS version is appropriate for some of them.

We have one regular client who buys 2 pr at a time & with the following rx & would like to hear your opinions if the WS version is appropriate or not for their scrip:

R: -5.75 / +.075 / 169 add +1.50
    L: -7.0 / +0.50 / 007 add +1.75

vertex: 14mm

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The WS design is a harder one. Has the person worn PALs before? If so, what design? What is the fitting height? Do they do a lot of close work?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From Seiko:

"Supercede lenses have a softer back-surface design that is ideal for first time PAL wearers, prescriptions with low to medium add powers and for people who have experienced difficulty adapting to conventional progressive lenses in the past. Supercede lenses are available in two corridor lengths, with minimum fitting heights of 16 and 18mm, respectively.
    Supercede Ws lenses have a harder back surface design that is ideal for frames with a narrow B measurement, seasoned PAL wearers, medium to high add powers, and for people who work on computers or do other close-up activities. Supercede Ws lenses are also available in two corridor lengths, with minimum fitting heights of 14 and 16mm."

The "WS" stands for wide and short, and in addition to the harder design are a shorter corridor. I'm imagine the combination of harder design and shorter corridor would yield a narrower near than the fuller Supercede.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    The WS design is a harder one. Has the person worn PALs before? If so, what design? What is the fitting height? Do they do a lot of close work?
    Thx for info

Yes they have worn pals before for 5 years approx. essilor I believe was their old lenses. they said it took a while to get used to them tho.

30mm lens height is new frame that needs the new pals.

WS seems like the logical choice but still unsure what to recommend. Seiko quality is tops imo.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have not fit the seiko lenses before and is actually doing some research right at this moment. But I would lean toward the regular supersede in your case because your client doesn't have a very high add power and the B measurement is tall enough to accommodate a soft design. I think most client prefer to have good intermediate range because of the need to used the computer. I only used hard design lenses for very specific client needs like nail salon stylist.

I also have a question: Does anybody think free form lenses are thicker than traditional progressive lenses. I have a lot of high myoptic clients and the surmount lenses only talk about benefit for plus rx.

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    There is a Pentax version of the Seiko lenses. The Seiko and Pentax digital lenses are all flat and thin, beautiful.

Thread Information