Thread: Eyewear and Homes: Differences shared

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eyewear and Homes: Differences shared

Sure I'm more often being asked to "explain" how online-sourced eyewear - especially name-brand lenses or frames - are *different* (implication: inferior) from what I deliver and charge.

So here's yet another soundbite tool I've found effective:

Two custom homes are to be built on two separate lots, both from the same original architect's plans.

You've pre-selected all the exact-same quality components...Kohler, Bosch, Lutron, roofing, flooring, etc.

But two different crews are doing the building. And one is getting paid substantially less.

Q: Will the two homes be exactly the same quality and contruction?

It's whose doing the building that counts the most.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Hmmmm,

Using the exact same materials.

Can I compare the crews?

What about the competent young gal who is just getting started? $65,000
    The older crew that is quite small and financially stable? $55,000
    The established crew that is quite good but the owner took a hell of a hit in the housing market on spec homes? $115,000
    The big crew that hires excellent illegal workers and pays them minimum wage? $46,000

Not to mention, that if the products are well built and well engineered the question of who installs them may not be as important as you think.

OK, hammer a few nails in that ;-)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Will the three little pigs live in them?

Will the big bad wolf come by and huff and puff and try to blow those homes down?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    And just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Hmmmm,

Using the exact same materials.

Can I compare the crews?

What about the competent young gal who is just getting started? $65,000
    The older crew that is quite small and financially stable? $55,000
    The established crew that is quite good but the owner took a hell of a hit in the housing market on spec homes? $115,000
    The big crew that hires excellent illegal workers and pays them minimum wage? $46,000

Not to mention, that if the products are well built and well engineered the question of who installs them may not be as important as you think.

OK, hammer a few nails in that ;-)
    John:

I don't think you have had your own new home built. Or you'd know how much who's doin' the doin' makes the difference.

Initially and longterm.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point. Clarify

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 08-04-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You prefaced your analogy with : "Sure I'm more often being asked to "explain" how online-sourced eyewear - especially name-brand lenses or frames - are *different* (implication: inferior) from what I deliver and charge."

All I am trying to say is that sometimes you can get the same exact level of quality from different providers at different costs.

If you take your analogy to its terminal position then there must be one supreme optician who can provide the best service and quality even when dealing with identical products and he/she could then charge the most?

And, yes I am saying that with modern equipment, modern materials, and with even limited experience the quality of a product produced from identical materials is not really all that different.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd say I'd mostly agree with your points, except that there's much more to be considered underlying the initial fee: Willingness and ability to troubleshoot, warranty and fit optimally, to name a few. All need to be included/considered when a "bundled" offering is priced out.

And...even if we settle upon your premise "All I am trying to say is that sometimes you can get the same exact level of quality from different providers at different costs."

I'd say: Go ahead. Knock yourself out. If you spend enough time and energy, you probably could "duplicate the same for less."

But you need the time and confidence to know that your choice would *always* deliver the same for less. Interestingly, EVERY discount store banks upon you *assuming* that the deal you got is available on everything through the store.

We know that's far from ever being true.

What is true is that you can be sure I will *always* deliver the best I can. And when I don't, I'll be willing to recognize that and make it right.

That's my definition of "added value."

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Having seen the recent Béla Fleck/Flecktones show here, and then heard the nameless guy "strumming" the shizzle out of his banjo in the parking lot after the show...they didn't seem to be *quite* on the same level. But hey - it's all just noise right?! ;) Same instruments - same results?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Analogy

This analogy only works with respect to offices performing in-house edging, especially on the more difficult to assemble frames and complex prescriptions.

If the office sends it to the lab, it is very possible the people making the glasses are also doing the online jobs using the same processes and with identical quality. The only differentiating factors are the assistance the office provides in selecting the frames and performing adjustments. Another potential factor is the assistance the office can provide on selecting the appropriate lenses. However, the better online sites due provide some level of assistance in selecting frames and lenses.

Thread Information