Thread: Question about advanced certification

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question about advanced certification

Hi, I work for EyeMasters in Arizona and passed both my ABO and NCLE. I'm going to be taking the state licensing test and advanced ABO and NCLE. I decided to take the advanced tests for personal achievement and am working towards ABOM. My question is what kind of job opportunities (if any) exist for these advanced certifications? Thanks in advance! :bbg:

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From personal experience, the more certifications you have the less desirable you are to employers.

I am sure this is not always the case, but I have resorted to omitting a lot of information from my resume in order to receive responses.

Good luck to you in persuing the Advanced Certifications and in finding an employer that respects your dedication.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yeah, I know it's been a while since the original post, but...
    In my own personal experience, that ABOM in conjunction with experience and a bachelor's degree has resulted in me receiving a few lucrative job offers, but I would've had to move to another state to accept the opportunity. Moving to accept a position is often the norm for the BEST offers. As Bob F says, most of the time, for run of the mill optician jobs, you won't get many offers if you're an ABOM. I believe the reasoning is, the hiring authority feels you're overqualified and will leave at the first opportunity, and(if not the Dr.) feels you will overshadow them and will take their job.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Getting higher level certifications is always best when done for your own personal achievement.

In terms of job possibilities, I don't see many jobs becoming available that wouldn't have been otherwise. The over-qualified response from a potential employer is a very legitimate response though, and going into an interview you should be prepared to address that concern.

The one area I could see advanced knowledge benefiting you is if you wanted to begin teaching to optical students or serving on a state or national organization. In speaking with a college about teaching for the optical program as an adjunct, since there is no BA or higher in our field, they would look for something like the ABOM and the NCLE Advanced.

Good luck!
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Basic certifications along with your licensure should land you the job as a dispenser. Now if you are going into management the higher certifications would come handy in liu of a degree in management because it proves you have commitment. If you are on your own, certifications are papers that are search by your patients on your walls (the more the merrier). The value of advanced certification (in Optics) has not been established as in other professions. I hold credentials as a licensed optician as well as a certified ophthalmic technician and its always interesting going with those credentials to ophthalmology practices as an applicant for an LDO position. It seems they value the COT more than my experience as an LDO. When I managed an ophthalmology practice, the more the credential, the more commitment, the more money that I tended to pay. The recession has changed that everywhere. Today education is not necessary in clinic because everything is computerized. The OMD and ODs dont care except to survive with the least trained staff that can do the job. If you work for a corporation thay will pay you well....because they need that license to operate. I only pray that being self employed will provide enough for my family and get me out of this rot that we are in as a nation because today being employed means being lucky in the worst of conditions with employers abusing the economy to benefit them by having to pay less for your skills. But again I am self employed and scared to death that patients dont walk in to my stores...

I love what I do and have every conceivable certification yet that means nothing unless it is required for work.

CNG

Thread Information