Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question thread

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's my stupid question. How did we put men on the moon, if the good people planet earth haven't figured out how to clean their own eyeglasses?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Customer: Hey Terry, I'm Joe...you've made my glasses before. He lays a few papers on the desk.
    Customer: I'm ordering some glasses on line. Will you go over this and make sure I have it filled out right?
    Terry: Joe, if you are ordering glasses on line...you are on your own!
    Customer: OH...I understand...turns around and walks out.
    WTF is the matter with people??!!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I went to dominos yesterday. I asked if they'd give me the # to pizza hut and let me use their phone to make an order. When they looked at me like I was stupid, I said, "just kidding, I'm here to pick up a carryout for Wes. Large pepperoni and mushroom."
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I went to dominos yesterday. I asked if they'd give me the # to pizza hut and let me use their phone to make an order. When they looked at me like I was stupid, I said, "just kidding, I'm here to pick up a carryout for Wes. Large pepperoni and mushroom."
    Nice. Another good one is to call someone and ask them for their phone number.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love when patients ask you if they have enough on their credit card to pay for their purchase.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pt: I only wear reading glasses, so can you tell me how much they would be with this frame?
    Me: Sure, you price is $xyz.
    Pt: What kind of lenses are you giving me?
    Me: Well, you stated that you wear strictly reading glasses, so I priced you out for single vision reading lenses.
    Pt: But what about progressives? Don't you think I need those?
    Me: #$@@%!!!!!!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you axed youself why the Skunkworks could build a 3000 mile per hour airplane and fly it for 50 years out of titanium but frame manufacters can't make a frame that will last 5 years out of the same stuff?

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Pilots are far more careful of their planes than people are of their glasses.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Do you know how to adjust glasses?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Frame board light is off. Two giant signs are up that say "we reopen at" with the big hand at 12 and the little hand at 10. Plastic chain link surrounding optical is up. I've hung my lab coat up and busy balancing the register tape and EOD books.

"Are you closed?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym:407638
    Frame board light is off. Two giant signs are up that say "we reopen at" with the big hand at 12 and the little hand at 10. Plastic chain link surrounding optical is up. I've hung my lab coat up and busy balancing the register tape and EOD books.

"Are you closed?"
    +1!

As I'm outside locking door, man approaches. Reads hours on door, checks his watch, re-reads door, turns head slightly to left..."what time do you close??"
    I look at my watch "10 minutes ago."
    "Oh ok...can you adjust these?"

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd, I've always been one to let them in after hours and do whatever. When I worked in a doctor's office and did this, if we ran anything beyond closing time (or sometimes anything close to) the ladies in the reception/bookkeeping area would start closing doors and slamming cabinets as though this would make me rush whatever needed done.
    On the other side when there was no one at the reception area or the patient thought you were running a little late, I thought of recording all the sounds (coughs, and the like) that patients would make to Subtilly let you know they were either here and/or impatient.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson:407667
    Odd, I've always been one to let them in after hours and do whatever. When I worked in a doctor's office and did this, if we ran anything beyond closing time (or sometimes anything close to) the ladies in the reception/bookkeeping area would start closing doors and slamming cabinets as though this would make me rush whatever needed done.
    On the other side when there was no one at the reception area or the patient thought you were running a little late, I thought of recording all the sounds (coughs, and the like) that patients would make to Subtilly let you know they were either here and/or impatient.

Chip
    True true, not now that I've got a 14 month and 3 months old kids at home and a 60 mile commute...get your *** here on time.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyf1509 View Post
    True true, not now that I've got a 14 month and 3 months old kids at home and a 60 mile commute...get your *** here on time.
    I'm kind of in the same boat, except I have to go pick up our son at the sitter's house. She is understanding if I don't get to leave on time, and it's not like daycare where they charge you an extra $50 if you're late. But to me, it's infinitely rude for someone to keep me late, so I'm late to the sitter's. It's not fair to her that she has to postpone her family's evening because someone was inconsiderate enough to show up and expect service at closing time.

I hate to have to ever do this, but just Thursday evening we had a patient (a little girl, and her grandmother with her) whose exam was done about 5:15, and spent a few minutes looking at frames while I was finishing with another patient (the office closes at 5:30). I did play the sitter card, but I also expressed that they deserved as much time as they needed without feeling rushed, for the girl to be able to take her time and get something she really wanted. I wanted to give them the attention they certainly deserved. I think they were appreciative of my concern, and said they'd be back in the morning, with no hard feelings. I was tactful and respectful, even in turning them away. It can be done gently, and you don't have to lose a patient over it.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    what is the refractive index of belly button lint under water
    that is the real question

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I often get people who are truly surprised that there is more then one progressive.

Just had a lady this week who said just that "there is more then one progressive?"

I WANT to bop them on the head (but that could only make them stupider). What I say is something like "Yes, there are over a hundred different progressives, plus all those progressives come in different materials. It's like cars, TVs or almost anything you can buy."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Pilots are far more careful of their planes than people are of their glasses.
    No truer words have been spoken. lol!
    Do not postpone joy

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I often get people who are truly surprised that there is more then one progressive.

Just had a lady this week who said just that "there is more then one progressive?"

I WANT to bop them on the head (but that could only make them stupider). What I say is something like "Yes, there are over a hundred different progressives, plus all those progressives come in different materials. It's like cars, TVs or almost anything you can buy."
    I swear, some people only seem to understand if it's explained by referencing automobiles.
    How much are glasses? How much is a car? Do you want a hoopty, or a Bentley, or something in between? There are many car (lens) manufacturers, they have many different models (designs) and each model (design) comes in several trim levels (materials) and with many different options (AR, photochromic, polarization...) Do you need safety or heavy duty(GMC 3500), sports (Jeep), do you want flashy (Ferrari), demure (Toyota), or something in between (Audi)?

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Mad props to Wes for using the word "hoopty."
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HaHa! For years I've been telling men not to do their glasses what they wouldn't do to their Lamborghini's paint job.....it's the only way they understand cleaning glasses! :)
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Occupation
    Yep. You wouldn't wash your car with a dry dirty rag, would you?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why do they bring in their scratched and gouged glasses and keep asking me how that happened , how would I know ? I wasn't there!

Please explain to me how the scratch that got on their glasses when I was not there is somehow my fault ?

Lately, I just ask them "Was I there when your lenses got that scratch ? " They look puzzled with that response and I keep it up till they start scratching their heads then I say "WOW, Look at that big red mark on your head ... how did that get there ? "

If they still continue the insanity, I ask them how that footprint got on their backside , when they turn to look I now see a window of opportunity ....

AS any reader of my posts will know, I believe in doing my part for Continuing Education .
    Last edited by idispense; 01-20-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Why do they bring in their scratched and gouged glasses and keep asking me how that happened , how would I know ? I wasn't there!
    I get that one and want to reach across the table and give them a Slap Chop!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ee
    Last edited by idispense; 01-22-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Occupation
    My boss asked me if the lensometer reads in plus or minus cyl the other day.

Thread Information