Thread: Eyeconic.com (VSP) launches

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Eyeconic.com (VSP) launches

Looks like they finally launched:

http://www.eyeconic.com

Right now, you can order contact lenses direct. For frames, they only have sunwear on there right now (all the Marchon lines) and direct people to a local office that carries that frame. I imagine they'll have eyeglasses on there soon.

Wonder how long they'll be directing people to offices only versus taking direct orders, putting them through a VSP lab and shipping direct? It seems clear to me that VSP is looking to go direct to their insureds with them opening the retail store on Cisco's campus a couple months back.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    It seems clear to me that VSP is looking to go direct to their insureds with them opening the retail store on Cisco's campus a couple months back.
    I don't see it that way at all. VSP Has made their intent very clear.

Also, your information on the Cisco campus has been beat to death here already. The retail clinic at Cisco is part of Cisco's entire network of medical campus that is onsite and run by a third party practice mgt. company and was part of Cisco's plan all along and was going to happen regardless. It's a great place to show off Cisco technology in a healthcare environment and for VSP I'm sure it's an excellent facility to beta a lot of their new software and products too. They came to VSP and asked them to outfit it as part of a plan vs LensCrafters and Lux who insisted it have their brand on it. The doctor is not a VSP employee either. She's an independant. Feel free to contact them about the study they did with the surrounding docs and who was contacted and how none of them wanted to be a part of it. They were very open about this at their recent meetings. Let us know what you find out after contacting them directly for more information.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In the past few years, I have watched the wholesalers lose control of their industry, virtually completely. Now bit by bit I see the retailers doing the same. If you all stay in the optical business, you will someday all be working for the same company.
    Last edited by Speed; 07-27-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Typo

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Race,

Besides "racing" to defend VSP in every post, have you ever provided any other insight on this board regarding patient care, practice management, or answers to optical questions?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    Race, Besides "racing" to defend VSP in every post, have you ever provided any other insight on this board regarding patient care, practice management, or answers to optical questions?
    I'm not defending anyone. I'm presenting a different viewpoint on a topic that comes up here quite often and that without my input are always pretty slanted in one direction to the point of boredom. How much more of a mob mentality can you take when someone mentions managed care and the posters come out in droves to all chant "kill the beast" with torches in their hands. Yawn.

Your opinion may differ, but I believe that my doing so helps keep things a bit interesting. I'm sorry, but the last thing this forum needs is another internet optical expert tossing out an opinion that is repeated 14 times in the same thread.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, So VSP put out a online optical retail site (yawn)... so did Essilor with Frames Direct and the world didn't end. The reality is the same and I have stated it again and again, "If they're buying online they dont want what your selling." your services are not of value to them, thus they were never your customer to begin with."

On my end of the line, they can open a retail VSP/Luxottica/Essilor on the opposing corner... I don't care! They don't have the one thing I have that they don't... me. I know I can serve my patients/customers better, quicker and at a better rate than they can. Want to compete? Be better... no, be the best in your town. Go talk to local groups, support the little league team, become 'The Eye Guy" in your neck of the woods. Thats the secrete guys, it's not wringing your hands and sucking through your teeth. Get out there and promote YOU! Here's the phrase that pay's... when neighbors are talking in there front yards or moms are talking to each other in the pick-up line at the local pre-school and some one says they need eyecare or eyewear. The next moment should be your past patient saying, "I gotta guy!" and your name comes next.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

KC
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Thread Information