Thread: Question: Surfacing in the 80's vs. Surfacing in 2011

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question: Surfacing in the 80's vs. Surfacing in 2011

Hi all, quick question....I was in surfacing back in the mid to late 80's. From there I went into Dispensing and a finish lab. I now have an opportunity to get back into surfacing for a full service private lab. My logic is----- The techniques have definitely changed but the theory has not...In your opinion...is this something I should consider or have too many years passed? Just thinking out loud. Any feedback? Ideas? Advise? Thanks for your help.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I started my career in the 80's as well and am amazed by today's technologies. From a basic Rocket 88 Coburn generator and 108 to todays free form technology..I think I have seen it all. As you mentioned, theory is the same and your experience will definetly have you up and running in a modern lab in no time. The days of using oil in the generator and fining with emery for glass have long passed for me. As in any lab, up to date software, daily calibration of your CNC machine and a clean lab environment will ensure quality and accuracy.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    are you going to get paid more money? Are you going to be in charge of the lab? are you starting the lab?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some places see no difference!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It is more difficult to get started now. Equipment is better and commanded by your software. Just put the tray in (or barcode it in) at the generators and edgers. Patternless edging gives much better quality because the patterns do not wear out. With all the A/R, I have not figured out if it's best to just let the A/R provider do the job complete to cut down on the handleing. The biggest obsticle you will face is that the big E owns most of everything. You will likely buy some equipment from them. Just don't let them control your softwear. That gives them too much info about your buisness.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Coburn (formerly Gerber Coburn) just introduced a new MiniLab product line that has a range of levels and options from the basics to free-form / digital. Coburn will also take the time to explain the differences and some of the risks of getting into surfacing in today's market, even if you are just shopping around. Call Coburn and ask to speak with one of the guys on the US surfacing team. The new Minilab info isn't up on the website yet but the US team has the information already.

Thread Information