Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABO Exam Results (ABO & NCLE)

cmhohioman

ABO Exam Results (ABO & NCLE)

Last edited by cmhohioman; 01-18-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The same thing happened to a very good friend of mine from school. He was tempted to have it hand scored, but when he called about it, he was advised that, at least in recent memory and in our area, it never had worked out in the favor of the test taker. So he figured he wouldn't waste the $50. He took it again the next go around and nailed it.
    Good luck, whatever you decide to do and congrats on your ABO certification!

cmhohioman
    Last edited by cmhohioman; 01-18-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I passed the may abo spectale exam finally!!!!!!!!! 3rd time is the charm lol!!! Last time i missed it by 1 point that sucked!!!! Happy happy joy joy! Congrats william hoover! Anyone else out there pass???

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Third time? Whoever was training you should be ashamed!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WMCDONALD you may kiss my lovely a**. I am 24, been in the field for less than 2 years, and work with a secretary and an O.D. I did my best with what tools I had.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Dont mess with Ashlee!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations Ashlee, ABOC!!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations on passing, but wmcdonald is right. I took the ABO and passed it the first time. He didn't mean anything personal, so don't take it that way Ashlee.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank for all the congrats. Simply stating some ppl should get off their high horses and just be happy people are taking the exams to get certified, and the number of times a person takes it is not of great importance. Congrats LensGrinder for getting it on the 1st try! Would'nt have posted I passed if I knew I was going to get looked down upon. Y'all have a fantastic day!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't think the highly esteemed Mr McDonald meant that as a dig to you. He is one of the most respected professors in the optical community, and stands for more education for all Opticians. To me, it looked like a slight dig at your instructor, who should have had you ready to pass on your first try, not at you for taking three times to pass, possibly due to a less than complete instruction.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashlee View Post
    WMCDONALD you may kiss my lovely a**. I am 24, been in the field for less than 2 years, and work with a secretary and an O.D. I did my best with what tools I had.
    I took Dr. McDonald’s comment as a negative statement towards the person preparing you for this examination. At best the ABO is considered an overly simplistic, sub-entry level test. Many opticians throughout the United States still learn on the job through something we humorously refer to as “apprenticeship training.” Your failure is more a reflection of the state of education available to individuals entering this field, rather than a personal indictment.

Roy

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy R. Ferguson View Post
    I took Dr. McDonald’s comment as a negative statement towards the person preparing you for this examination. At best the ABO is considered an overly simplistic, sub-entry level test. Many opticians throughout the United States still learn on the job through something we humorously refer to as “apprenticeship training.” Your failure is more a reflection of the state of education available to individuals entering this field, rather than a personal indictment.

Roy
    Amen!!! Take it from Mr. Ferguson, Ashlee, he is right.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There seems to be an assumption that there was an "instructor" involved. It doesn't look like there was, and if that's the case, kudos to Ashlee, but jeers to the ABO for being so easy that it can be passed in 2 tries or less w/little or no preparation.

Congrats Ashlee for making the mark, and thanks Dr. McDonald for giving a damn, in a time when many folks here don't.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have passed has your status been updated on the certification website yet?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Darby! No instructor involved. I did it with the TOPS books and 2 years working beside an O.D. Clutt22-web status has not been updated yet. Unusally its updated before the paper results are out, but not this time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just passed too! First time I took the test. NC state license here I come! :)

Ashlee, I hear you on having no help. The Dr. I work for told me that certification "wasn't necessary". Hence the reason I'm interviewing for a different position at a difference office. I can't work for anybody who doesn't value education for their employees. My fiancé was the one who helped me study and who drove me to Durham at 5 in the morning on a Sunday.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I just passed too! First time I took the test. NC state license here I come! :)

Ashlee, I hear you on having no help. The Dr. I work for told me that certification "wasn't necessary". Hence the reason I'm interviewing for a different position at a difference office. I can't work for anybody who doesn't value education for their employees. My fiancé was the one who helped me study and who drove me to Durham at 5 in the morning on a Sunday.
    Good luck on the NC boards. They took me a few times to pass. Your former Dr. is a moron.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Working as an optician in Texas, I know exactly how you feel about lack of help also. I've been an optician for five years now and STILL don't feel ready for it (Probably just a bad case of test anxiety). I've purchased the spectacle exam prep kit from the NAO and I've read System for Opthalmic Dispensing cover to cover. On a daily basis, I hear from co-workers about how there's no point to being certified. It makes me sick to my stomach sometimes when someone who has been doing this MUCH longer than me asks me to verify an RX in the lensometer because they don't understand how to use it. I want to be certified but I'm afraid that without the proper instruction I will not succeed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Until this "profession" requires something more than a pulse to enter the field, it will not change. My earlier comment was not an affront to the individual, but to the process that let her and many others down. It is ridiculous, but continues to gets worse, not better. If I were to ask most here if they considered themselves a professional, most would say yes. Unfortunately a multiple choice 3-hour exam does not a professional make. If we want professional status, we must require a formal education so that people in this field can do more than measure PDs and take seg heights. I do congratulate this young woman on taking the exam, and the doc she works for, again, should be ashamed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Online status has been updated. Mine now says ACTIVE.

cmhohioman

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is where the difference between being a nationally recognized, nationally licensed, real discipline (nursing) and being a scattered, state-by-state, quasi-profession comes in.

The ABO does not have to answer to anyone or anything!

cmhohioman

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=John@OWDC;392453

The ABO does not have to answer to anyone or anything![/QUOTE

Follow the money!!!

Thread Information