Thread: Anyone else get the latest Boo-Hoo letter from VSP?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Anyone else get the latest Boo-Hoo letter from VSP?

VSP sent us a registered letter today reminding us that since their subsidiary Marchon was sued for knowingly violating Aspex's patents, they still are not covering Aspex frames except as expensive-to-their-subscriber "out of network" that we've been dealing with for so long.
    If they just didn't violate patents, they would not be in this predicament that they, in fact caused themselves.
    They just didn't use the terms I used, but the idea is still the same.
    I think they are just trying to hurt Aspex's business as revenge.Guess VSP won't be participating in any empower jobs.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Guess VSP won't be participating in any empower jobs.
    Think again, they're already signed up.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    But...but....but...they're from ASPEX!!??
    Can anyone say "talking out of both sides of their mouths?"
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can anyone say "talking out of both sides of their mouths?"
    Insurance Company

There, I just said it.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any minute now,we should be hearing from "RacetodefendVSP13".

Any minute now...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Any minute now...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Think again, they're already signed up.
    Hey Cat.....when did this occur? I haven't heard this....just curious :)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think they are just trying to hurt Aspex's business as revenge.Guess VSP won't be participating in any empower jobs.
    More old news. You have an odd business sense if you think an organization like VSP has people sitting around worried about a company that they clearly parting ways with because of.....wait for it.....a lawsuit. Geesh.....what would you do if a business partner and you were engaged in a law suit? I seriously doubt you'd continue to support their business. Who knows, perhaps you would. Why any of this shocks anyone is beyond me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's listed on the emPower website.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sorry, I'm wrong. The banner on the website said emPower, but the lab listings are for atLast.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by racethe1320 View Post
    More old news. You have an odd business sense if you think an organization like VSP has people sitting around worried about a company that they clearly parting ways with because of.....wait for it.....a lawsuit. Geesh.....what would you do if a business partner and you were engaged in a law suit? I seriously doubt you'd continue to support their business. Who knows, perhaps you would. Why any of this shocks anyone is beyond me.
    Oh, I'm not the least bit shocked at this new news (at least VSP thinks it's new news since they sent me a registered letter). What I am shocked about is why Marchon chose to violate Aspex's patents intentionally all the while knowing Aspex sues everyone who does so, and they apparently thought they could get away with it. But when they get caught, it's like they were surprised, shocked and dismayed. Typical of an organization that thinks it's too big for anyone to mess with.

One thing I'm sure to do is explain to a customer why they can't get those clip on frames they want is because VSP's subsidiary infringed their patent and now punishes their plan holders by denying them the frames they want. So, in turn, the customer can go complain to their HR department and possibly drop VSP as their provider.And believe me, when we get a head of HR in from a local company and they're denied their clip on frames, things get done quickly.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, I think in this case, VSP has actually done a service for their members:

Aspex clip frame quality is simply awful, IMHO.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The collection for emPower does not have a clip.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oh, I'm not the least bit shocked at this new news (at least VSP thinks it's new news since they sent me a registered letter). What I am shocked about is why Marchon chose to violate Aspex's patents intentionally all the while knowing Aspex sues everyone who does so, and they apparently thought they could get away with it. But when they get caught, it's like they were surprised, shocked and dismayed. Typical of an organization that thinks it's too big for anyone to mess with.
    I can't speak to the letter. I've never gotten one but then I'm not a fan of Aspex and never have been. I'm little shocked as to why you assume to know why Marchon does something. This "typical of an organization stuff...." is pretty imature. I mean, really, if you have a serious question with no answer, why not pick up the phone and call someone vs posting mis information here? Again, pretty easy to get a hold of the right person. Marchon isn't that big of a company and while they were bought out by VSP, their executive team and Even Co Founder Al Berg is pretty easy to track down. Make the call to him. I look forward to hearing what you find out.

One thing I'm sure to do is explain to a customer why they can't get those clip on frames they want is because VSP's subsidiary infringed their patent and now punishes their plan holders by denying them the frames they want. So, in turn, the customer can go complain to their HR department and possibly drop VSP as their provider.And believe me, when we get a head of HR in from a local company and they're denied their clip on frames, things get done quickly.
    what you're explaining isn't entirely true, is based on your emotions vs business facts, but that's your call. Ironic that you're appearing upset about a lack of ethics, yet your pretty quick to swing that bat yourself. Hmmm.

Honestly, if there's a Benefits Mgr. who would make a corporate healthcare decision based on your information vs that of the manufacturer (I mean really you don't hold the key to creditability if you don't work for Marchon) and the mere fact that they couldn't get a clip on device covered and then drop that coverage based on all that, I think that Benefits Mgr would need to take a good hard look in the mirror as to whether they are credible themselves or even looking out for the best interest of their company and employees. That lack of alignment I'm sure wouldn't cause the team at VSP to lose much sleep. It's not their doing, it's his.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hmmm. Facts:
    Marchon apparently infringed Aspex's patents. Aspex sued.Aspex does not sue companies that don't infringe their patents. Those facts come from VSP itself, though for some reason they think they didn't infringe. And I'm really shocked that you know all that VSP does and why.

And I'm 100% sure that if I "call Al Berg up" I will get exactly nowhere, as I'm sure the lawyers won't let anything out. Be serious! You really think all we need to do is call VSP and they'll tell us all we want to know?

You want me to post a copy of the letter here, since you never got it. Wonder why?
    And I should apply credibility to you, especially since you allegedly don't work for either VSP or Marchon? By your (see! I used the word properly like you didn't) own admission there can be no credibility if I don't work for one of the companies, and, since you don't either, you have no credibility either. Unless you are not who you say you are.
    And, are you calling me unethical?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by racethe1320 View Post
    Its not old enough that they spend a ton of money sending out thousands of letters via registered mail, I imagine the cost was over $30K. It must worry VSP, they seem to talk about it every chance they get. So you may say its "old" and you may say they don't think anything of it, but why does VSP keep bringing the subject up?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    And I'm really shocked that you know all that VSP does and why. And I'm 100% sure that if I "call Al Berg up" I will get exactly nowhere, as I'm sure the lawyers won't let anything out. Be serious! You really think all we need to do is call VSP and they'll tell us all we want to know?
    I know all VSP Does? Thanks for the credibility. :p Yes, I do think if you call Al Berg and ask him to explain that he would. However, I guess it's more fun to post on the internet than actually make a call.

You want me to post a copy of the letter here, since you never got it. Wonder why?
    why not? is it top secret? If my office got a copy of it months back, I don't recall. However, recently, no; we didn't.

And I should apply credibility to you, especially since you allegedly don't work for either VSP or Marchon? By your (see! I used the word properly like you didn't) own admission there can be no credibility if I don't work for one of the companies, and, since you don't either, you have no credibility either. Unless you are not who you say you are. And, are you calling me unethical?
    my point is what credible grounds do you have to preach to a Benefits Mgr? You're just someone on a hormonal soapbox that isn't willing to make a few phone calls to get an answer. Again, if an HR decision maker were to take your word as gospel, I'd seriously question their their integrity and common sense. Hey, perhaps you get patients who are that gullible and don't take their fact finding seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Its not old enough that they spend a ton of money sending out thousands of letters via registered mail, I imagine the cost was over $30K. It must worry VSP, they seem to talk about it every chance they get. So you may say its "old" and you may say they don't think anything of it, but why does VSP keep bringing the subject up?
    can't answer why such a letter keeps popping up? something triggers it. however, I doubt VSP is spending $30k to mass distribute a letter like that to everyone more than once.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    This looks like another thread that is going to end up on being closed....................

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    This looks like another thread that is going to end up on being closed....................

Why? It's just the same 'ol VSP merry-go-round forum...

Thread Information