Thread: Setting up a new finish lab, what tints should I have?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Setting up a new finish lab, what tints should I have?

I'm in the process of setting up our new finish lab with tint/uv capabilities, since we are trying to keep the cost low, we are starting up with a 6 tank tint unit, since 2 of the tanks will be dedicated to UV and Neutralizer, besides grey and brown, what does any one think my other two colors should be ? I used to work for the Evil Empire ( Luxottica retail) where we had 8 dye pots and a dedicated neutralizer and UV pot so thinking small scale is a new thing for me, I was thinking pink and yellow perhaps for color correction? opinions?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    With Red, yellow and blue, basic colors, you can just about make any color or adjust them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My suggestion would be to get a stand alone unit for the UV coat and then do nuetralizer, grey, brown, pink, yellow and blue. I prefer a stand alone for the UV because I find the UV doesn't need to be kept as hot as the tint to still work. So my UV lasts a little longer at a slightly cooler temp.

It really depends on what colors you plan to offer to your patients. I also like to have orange, not blueblocker just orange. I am spoiled though I have a 9 pot and a 4 pot tank.

I think I will try a red also after reading Chris Ryser comment. Red, yellow and blue make all the colors we see.
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I always kept grey, brown, pink, yellow, blue, G-15, black and lavender. Also neutralizer, lens prep, UV, SRC, and one with hot water (handy as H at times).

Two other things:
    1. You can have lotsa colours by buying extra pans and lids, keep them on a rack somewhere close to the unit. This is what I did.

2. Your customers will tell you which colours to have, just watch what they want to buy.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 06-17-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    G-15 and yellow/pink.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I always kept grey, brown, pink, yellow, blue, G-15, black and lavender. Also neutralizer, lens prep, UV, SRC, and one with hot water (handy as H at times).

Two other things:
    1. You can have lotsa colours by buying extra pans and lids, keep them on a rack somewhere close to the unit. This is what I did.

2. Your customers will tell you which colours to have, just watch what they want to buy.
    I agree with this. I will sugest to try to have the UV on a small unit apart of the colors because it can be easily contaminated. On some especial colors that we do not use often, we keep them in plastic bottles once they are cool.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Tinting units for the optical industry have forever come out of the restaurant food..

Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    [url]

Dont handicap yourself to save a hundred bucks.

I had a phone call from a large lab yesterday, (1400 jobs daily), who just tested the tinting of high index and poly lenses with the Micro Tints. Apparently they were pleasently surprised that they could tint high index lenses to dark shades in 8 to 12 minutes while the tinting units did the same in between 1 to 2 hours.
    Never forget that lens tinting in your own office is one of the most profitable operations in optical lab work.

There is a lot of information, probably the most you can find on this subject on my website at http://optochemicals.com , just scroll down the main page to Micro Tints and the are over a dozen links on the subject.

When you freshly go into it you should really weigh the options between conventional tinting the slow way or Micro Tint the super fast one. The eqipment investment is only a 1000W microwave which you can purchase at the W-Mart for about $ 100.00

Tinting containers with covers for storage and strainers are included with thew purchase of the dyes.

A tinting unit will cost you in the restaurant supply trade around $ 209.00 and they are al made by Vollrath as are the ones made in the optical tinting trade. Then you add the buckets and bars to hold them in place.

Tinting units for the optical industry have forever come out of the restaurant food warmer trade. And you could forever puchase the same units, with another name, not by saving a hundred buck but probably spending not even half.

Vollrath
    Mfg Model #:72020
    Central Model #:913-048
    Your Cost:$219.00 EA

http://www.foodpanworld.com/index-steamtablepans.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our Mini 6 is set-up:
    UV Grey
    UV Green G-15
    UV Brown
    Yellow
    Pink er Rose
    Neutralizer

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I also have to have a Slate Gray tint which is a nice blue-gray color. And I have one patient that I have to keep a bottle of Mulberry tint, which is a sort of merlot color.
    Chris's micro tints work great for solid colors, but trying to neutralize the bottom to make a gradient tint is totally worthless, so if you're going to do gradients, get a gradient arm machine too.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Having extra pans with other color tints in them(as has already been mentioned) is great. All you have to do is nuke some water and fill the pan up and you are good to go. Or you can put the liquid dye in a large styro cup and nuke.

Thread Information