Thread: TGIF, glad I don't work Saturdays' no more, no more...

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Wink TGIF, glad I don't work Saturdays' no more, no more...

September the 8th, the Sat. before the whole 911 mess, was our last saturday to be open for business...that's eight months ago; just want to say that it's been great; the switch hasn't affected sales, we've had full staff all week instead of working short-handed every day to be able to cover saturdays....just want to let you know it's possible.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How do you know it hasn't affected sales ? Have your sales stayed the same ? If so, they may have improved had you stayed open Saturdays.

My theory is this: I pay rent 365 days a year, whether my stores are open or not. Labor is cheap compared to throwing away rent $$. I don't think anyone should have to work on Saturdays, so I hire part timers at a very enticing hourly wage (about $5 per hour more than during the week). They love it because they make a good buck. I love it because I don't have to work, and it only takes one sale to pay the whole day's wages, the rest is the retirement fund.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Saturdays off, but you might enjoy them more knowing they were still making $$ for you at the shop.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You have arrived!!

Hey Tex, I remember making a post when you were trying to decide wether or not to close Saturdays.I am glad you have come around to my way of thinking.

Note to Johns, with all due respect, you pay rent 365 Nights too! Is/are your shop(s) open all night? Each situation is different.If Al's sales stayed the same he's actually ahead of the game because his overhead is down by the factor of his labor expense.I suspect sales have increased by the same amount they have historically, which has actually improved his situation.(I have no hard info, its just a quess by the tone of his post!)All work and no play makes a white eyed Texas Ranger!:D :D
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,

Yes, I do pay rent for nights too. If I had an inkling that there was a retail market for evenings, I would put on an evening staff. Your labor overhead should be proportionate to your amount of sales. If your sales are low on Mondays, between noon and 4:00PM, do you close and send everyone home to lower your overhead ?
    Speaking of hours, we hired an optician to open one of our offices @ 4:00 AM, to accomodate a local factory's workers. We pick up about 20 pr of glasses more per week. 2 pair would pay his salary !

I agree with you about "all work and no play". I take off Tues, Thurs, & Saturdays, & Sundays. The only day we close is Sunday.

OptiBoard Professional

Way to go Al

:cheers:

I tried Saturdays in my office for 4 months. We had one sale. My light bill, air conditioning , and employee wages far out weighed the sale. Most of my patients are retired folk and making it in M-F just isn't a problem for them. Besides, the doctor next door isn't open on weekends either.

Carol D

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Wink

Johns, I like your deal better, work Monday /Wednesday and Friday; if I was off that much, I'd forget what day it was; if you switched your MOndays and Tuesdays, you could have a three day weekend; that or thursday for friday....
    Carol, good for you; you're just getting you shop started, and sometimes you start something, and it's ever so hard to change! BTW, my dad is trying to sell his lake house at Lake Palestine, just so. of Tyler, could you perhaps have Mike Martin's e-mail in Tyler, he may be able to help him sell the place; he needs to be in a retirement home. his place has a boathouse and dock, and a bass boat....

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Carol D & T Ranger,

This thread is a prime example of how individual each market really is. In our town, there are still ODs that close on Wednesdays (one of our best days), and 2 of the banks in town close 1/2 days on Wed.

Every optical in our area is open on Saturdays, and if we all got together and agreed to close, sales at the Wal-Mart 30 miles away would probably spike that day.

I'm glad it's working for y'all !

Johns

Thread Information