Thread: Important: Seattle Central Community College Opticianry Program

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Important: Seattle Central Community College Opticianry Program

I have just been informed that this venerable program, headed by my classmate Gary Clayton, is being considered for closure. In this time of tight budgets, it is important that government use funds appropriately, and in this case, the state feels the cost per student is too high, despite being far cheaper than other health-related programs. One of the reasons cited is the lack of a requirement for such a program to obtain licensure. In Washington, an apprenticeship program is available, much like the other states with similar programs. This is a bad situation. SCCC is the only program in the western US, which is a real shame in itself, but to lose such a program after nearly half a century is unfathomable to this old educator. Opticianry needs your help. Please make contact with this school's administration and make them aware of the program's importance.

That said, if you reside in Washington or the surrounding states, you particularly have a vested interest. Contact the school faculty and see how you can help. If you are hiring, hire a graduate! Contact your legislators for help. Do all you can to make sure this program remains in tact.

I must add that the faculty and leadership also needs to develop programs that can improve access. Online and blended programs can enhance enrollments and provide for much greater access to all parts of the state. This is a new century in education and you need to get in it! Seek new areas of service, and I can tell you the overall cost per student will decrease, and your base of support will increase.

I wish you the very best of luck and if I can do anything, please let me know.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Reminds me of the Florence-Darlington Tech closure a couple years ago. Due to lack of interest. A shame.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please take a look at this thread and respond. Education is very important, and I know there are a few folks from the west here. Call your legislators and make them aware of this issue, or we just may lose this program. If you read some of the posts from some of the folks here who consider themselves professionals, the need for better education is clear. If Opticianry is to gain the status we feel it deserves, we must add new schools, not lose existing one. I hope OAA, NAO, NFOS and the other professional organizations are listening. This profession is at risk, and we need your help.

Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Here is the email contact to voice your suport for this program. Licensed Opticians in Washington State enjoy hard fought privileges that other states don't: We can Fit Contact’s and write Contact RX's (based on a OD's Spectacle RX) and are REQUIRED to know how to refract. A lot of this is due to the presence of a great educational program. The loss of this program will have an effect far wider than Washington State, it will make it more difficult for Opticians in every state to promote and advance professional stature.

Even if your not in Washington, please write a short email asking them to keep this program: scccprogramfeedback@seattlecolleges.edu

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    From Julia Stintson, Posted on Northwest Optical Professionals group on Face Book:

Latest information about the Opticianry program at SCCC:

Good news, the program will continue.

The program is taking a new class in the fall. However the program will no longer be supported by the state. We will continue to be housed by the college and it will look the same to most people.The program will become self sufficient, meaning that we need to make all our funding by tuition increases, larger classes and a profitable shop (Campus Optical learning lab).

We want to thank everyone who helped, wrote, called, and supported the Opticianry program. Thanks to you we continue to exist, and provide one alternative for people wishing to become LDOs.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We need to get these economies away from the fake economies. Housing bubbles, trickle down effect bubbles, internet bubbles, etc. The only way we can do that is to encourage the entreprenuerial spirit in our citizens. Education is one of those paths and it is unfortunate to see it trampled on.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree, but unfortunately Opticianry is the sole allied health "profession" that does not support education. Note that if you post something about giving away a simple PD, that causes many responses. This thread garnered limited results at best. Only when we REQUIRE some level of education will we ever advance. The way it is now, we are clearly not. This post should have caused concern across the country. I hope Gary and staff can survuve with the tuition required for self-support.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    I agree, but unfortunately Opticianry is the sole allied health "profession" that does not support education. Note that if you post something about giving away a simple PD, that causes many responses. This thread garnered limited results at best. Only when we REQUIRE some level of education will we ever advance. The way it is now, we are clearly not. This post should have caused concern across the country. I hope Gary and staff can survuve with the tuition required for self-support.
    We all do...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm glad the program will continue, even on the self supporting level. Unfortunately, I received a call in January that the program at DeKalb Technical College was closing and the current program director retired a bit before the teachout of the program. The state licensing board sent letters, licensed opticians sent letters and other people sent letters to no avail. I'm now helping to teach out the current students. This was a program that had 65 students enrolled. They are good people and most of them will become good opticians. NOT a small number, but it's closing anyway.

I don't believe that closure of the program is in the best interest of Georgia for sure, and not in the best interest of any consumer needing vision correction. We need educated opticians.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diane,
    I appreciate what you are doing there, and we need to find a place to move that program. Let know if I can help in any way. Maybe we can talk at SEOC.

Warren

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That's because you have many on this board that boohoo any mention of education. It's been said on this board I don't need an education I learned everything I know in the field. Another words there comparing themselves to carpenters, plumbers ect. who mostly learn on the job. Now don't take this in the wrong way I'm not saying I disparage the way they go about it. But would you want a nurse or dental hygienist
    Or a PA to be learning on the job with out that educational background? I would say not. So why would you not want the same for optical? When I got my NY license I had to sit for 3 days of testing. We took 2 test per day and on the fourth day we had our practical. Over kill maybe but I knew what the eye did, how it did it and what the functions of the different layers were. It was a very intensive training. But I didn't know everything because when I got my first job I was immediately put in a nine month training period after that I knew a lot, but I'm still learning everyday.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    That's because you have many on this board that boohoo any mention of education. It's been said on this board I don't need an education I learned everything I know in the field. Another words there comparing themselves to carpenters, plumbers ect. who mostly learn on the job. Now don't take this in the wrong way I'm not saying I disparage the way they go about it. But would you want a nurse or dental hygienist
    Or a PA to be learning on the job with out that educational background? I would say not. So why would you not want the same for optical? When I got my NY license I had to sit for 3 days of testing. We took 2 test per day and on the fourth
    day we had our practical. Over kill maybe but I knew what the eye did, how it did it and what the functions of the different
    layers were. It was a very intensive training. But I didn't know everything because when I got my first job I was
    immediately put in a nine month training period after that I knew a lot, but I'm still learning everyday.

Jedi I could not have said it better! Nice

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please take a look at this thread and respond. Education is very important, and I know there are a few folks from the west here. Call your legislators and make them aware of this issue, or we just may lose this program. If you read some of the posts from some of the folks here who consider themselves professionals, the need for better education is clear. If Opticianry is to gain the status we feel it deserves, we must add new schools, not lose existing one. I hope OAA, NAO, NFOS and the other professional organizations are listening. This profession is at risk, and we need your help.

Thanks!

Do you hear the deafening silence! Unbelievable how so many are on this board that refuse to want to consolidate efforts to further Opticianary through out the land. Are you afraid that you would have to back up your so called expertise with some hands on knowledge? Come on wake up! We see the falling of a great society with all the ills in this country why not try and save one such as Optical before we become extinct like the dinosaurs?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I attended Anoka Technical College Optical Dispensing program gradutating in 1982. Served on the board to try to SAVE it. You are so lucky to have had yours in tack for so long. Band together and do everything you can to keep the buzz about your school. If the day comes that they close it down our commitment to people coming in to our great industry just gets heightened. This is not a job this is a career with unlimited opportunities and facets. My father is an 85 year old dispensing Optician still working 3 days a week and I have been in almost every aspect for 32 years. Don't give up and keep this profession great!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2 View Post

Thanks!

Do you hear the deafening silence! Unbelievable how so many are on this board that refuse to want to consolidate efforts to further Opticianary through out the land. Are you afraid that you would have to back up your so called expertise with some hands on knowledge? Come on wake up! We see the falling of a great society with all the ills in this country why not try and save one such as Optical before we become extinct like the dinosaurs?
    What a great moment to mention the Society to Advance Opticinary! A group of like minded professionals looking to advance opticians through education. For more info, go to www.advanceopticianry.org

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It certainly is, Kevin. Thanks!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    70 % of what I know I learned at the Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute. I graduated in 1982 and have been working in this business on both sides of the fence ever since. I have found my education to be invaluable

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am pleased to hear you say that, Kevin. Unfortunately most Opticians have no idea what they do not know, because the only training they had came through personal reading and job experience. They were never immersed in theory, and if they really had someone supervising their activity they often had little to no education themselves. Ergo our state of affairs currently. People become offended when we mention the need for an education and they do not have one, and that is probably human nature. I have been pushing this issue for years, along with a limited number of others, and we have made some headway, but not enough. We must begin to band together to pus the education agenda, and at the very least recognize those with credentials. Take a look at the SAO site KCount mentions above and consider becoming a part. And tell your friends.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=wmcdonald;392502]I am pleased to hear you say that, Kevin. Unfortunately most Opticians have no idea what they do not know, because the only training they had came through personal reading and job experience. They were never immersed in theory, and if they really had someone supervising their activity they often had little to no education themselves. Ergo our state of affairs currently. People become offended when we mention the need for an education and they do not have one, and that is probably human nature. I have been pushing this issue for years, along with a limited number of others, and we have made some headway, but not enough. We must begin to band together to pus the education agenda, and at the very least recognize those with credentials. Take a look at the SAO site KCount mentions above and consider

WMcDonald well said. One of the reason most on this board are not interested is because they are Making a good living so why upset the apple cart and push for education. That goes against everything that I was ever taught. What was taught was you get your high school diploma and you will have a certain amount of success. If you go on and get a 2 year or 4 year degree your amount of success and money increases equal to your education plus the amount of work applied equals higher earnings and and modicum Of success! Seems like a no brainer to me. Why we don't band together like Optometry and ophthalmology has befuddled me for years. It's like Opticians would rather stay on the s
    side lines mute while the game is being played by the OD's and MD's instead of getting
    involved and change the course of all Opticians everywhere. First you need a vision because without a vision your going no ware. Second you need to put out in clear terms
    what is needed and what is required to become part of a larger organization. Third you
    need to combine all the states that have licensing into a unified entity that would have
    clout. Four from this you would need to elect officers to guide this organization. By doing
    this you have an organization that would be big enough to be recognized by all with
    bylaws and rules that would govern all. That's my rant :cool

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Howtopat View Post
    70 % of what I know I learned at the Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute. I graduated in 1982 and have been working in this business on both sides of the fence ever since. I have found my education to be invaluable

Education does work as shone above. What we fail to realize is that to understand a discipline you have to know it's history that is education. You start from the beginning and work your way up to present day. You can't have education based on a test that says pick an answer from the four presented. Where you have true academic teaching is when you teach, you present the methodologies of the said disciple and after a certain time let's say two weeks you test them on the curriculum studied and have them write down what they learned. Writing is the basics to all education. What do they say when they discover a new civilization? Where is the written language because a written language begets a highly evolved society. Enough of my education rant!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2 View Post
    Education does work as shone above. What we fail to realize is that to understand a discipline you have to know it's history that is education. You start from the beginning and work your way up to present day. You can't have education based on a test that says pick an answer from the four presented. Where you have true academic teaching is when you teach, you present the methodologies of the said disciple and after a certain time let's say two weeks you test them on the curriculum studied and have them write down what they learned. Writing is the basics to all education. What do they say when they discover a new civilization? Where is the written language because a written language begets a highly evolved society. Enough of my education rant!

I'm utterly amazed at so few replies we have gotten. It just goes to show how pathetic the optical field has gotten when opticians through out the land would rather sit on there duffs and do nothing while optical wilts in the sunset. :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Until licensing is required in all jurisdictions, it's useless to try and focus on education. In unlicensed states, the vast majority of working opticians don't even bother to sit for the ABO or NCLE exams. We'd all love to learn more simply for the sake of learning, but when there are kids to feed and bills to pay, it's hard to convince others that it's worth the effort. Employers don't encourage it or reward it, and it's hard to justify spending the money to take a course or sit for an exam if there's no tangible benefit.

This really does call for a two-step plan, which starts with calling for mandatory licensing across the board. Then formal apprenticeships and/or classroom education can come to the forefront. If folks are going to make the same $10 an hour whether they go to the expense and effort of taking a class or not, the support for education will continue to be weak.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto on the importance of opticianry education,

Kevin, Warren, thanks for bringing up the Society to Advance Opticianry.

We are officially launching at the ABO/NCLE conference in September, and making great momentum!

Hope everyone had a great July 4th celebration,

: )

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilly View Post
    Until licensing is required in all jurisdictions, it's useless to try and focus on education. In unlicensed states, the vast majority of working opticians don't even bother to sit for the ABO or NCLE exams. We'd all love to learn more simply for the sake of learning, but when there are kids to feed and bills to pay, it's hard to convince others that it's worth the effort. Employers don't encourage it or reward it, and it's hard to justify spending the money to take a course or sit for an exam if there's no tangible benefit.

This really does call for a two-step plan, which starts with calling for mandatory licensing across the board. Then formal apprenticeships and/or classroom education can come to the forefront. If folks are going to make the same $10 an hour whether they go to the expense and effort of taking a class or not, the support for education will continue to be weak.
    Agreed! It wasn't that long ago that you could sit for the bar exam without a JD degree in many states, but as the test grew harder more people sought formal education to pass. We need to make the optical tests challenging enough that you need education to pass it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The legal profession actually pushed for increasing educational standards, which is a bit different. Opticians push against it. It was actually many years ago that the legal profession in almost every state except California did away with apprenticeship, and required a formal education.Until that time, folks could study with a judge or lawyer and then sit for the bar exams. Not so today and it has been that way for longer than most on this board have been alive. If we continue with apprenticeship, we will never advance beyond where we are today, and I simply cannot, for the life of me, figure why people here fight so hard against a basic education. We are not suggesting that you go back to school if you are already in the profession. We are suggesting that future Opticians become better prepared. Every other health-related field in the country has moved in that direction, and so should we. What is the problem? Do you feel the work Optician do does not demand an education? If so, fine. Say so, and lets just do away with the licenses, and let the market settle itself. Why do many of you want to see Opticianry remain in this professional purgatory? It can only make us all better if the benchmark is raised.

As to challenging tests, if you listen to many of those here, they are challenging. Some take the ABO multiple times prior to passing, and the NCLE the same. Largely it is not their fault, because they are required only a check and a pulse to sit for these exams and come very unprepared. They should be required some education prior to sitting for the exam. Why are they not? Test takers bring revenue. It is a shame, but true.

Thread Information