Thread: MR. Blue in a Wholesale environment

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

MR. Blue in a Wholesale environment

Putting aside the "bad raps" over Mother Essilor...can anyone if Mr. Blue is working out in a lab environment? we are running head of the line tracers her so, I'mnot sure if the machine will work out, unless the special functions can be controlled at the edger, rather than at the tracer/blocker. secondly does the machine counter bevel well, as we run alot of Oakley's here that require counter beveling with strong rx's. What kind of yield can be expected with that little mill that looks like it has to work its brains out! Any help will be appreciated! you can pm if you would like, thanks Glenn

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Fluegge View Post
    Putting aside the "bad raps" over Mother Essilor...can anyone if Mr. Blue is working out in a lab environment? we are running head of the line tracers her so, I'mnot sure if the machine will work out, unless the special functions can be controlled at the edger, rather than at the tracer/blocker. secondly does the machine counter bevel well, as we run alot of Oakley's here that require counter beveling with strong rx's. What kind of yield can be expected with that little mill that looks like it has to work its brains out! Any help will be appreciated! you can pm if you would like, thanks Glenn
    We had a rep come to our office with the machine. We do a lot of Oakley Gas Cans in higher Rx's. The Mr. Blue could not produce a bevel that would keep it in the frame. It also lacked on many other functions. It can not facet and can not produce a "T" Bevel.
    Pez:D

Occupation
    Glen- used a Mr.Blue since June of last year.. special cuts are it's forte' ... I run all my wraps on it ... great job on wraps/polish jobs and the crazier RX's... I am just now getting ready to start running drill jobs with it.. huge system issues we had to work through since I am on a network and use optifacts..

You can run all your functions from the touch screen on the machine..i.e. shape editor drills etc., .. I am strictly wholesale so I most defiantly put the machine through it's paces as far as pushing work .. I can get around 10 jobs per hour out of it.. full mix of materials. & bevel with high sheen polish on 80% of the work I push into it..

wish the shelf bevel was slightly deeper.. it keeps it's settings and so far I have only had 2 issues... center bearing went out on the groove wheel and snapped a couple of drill bits..

JR smith has found a few work arounds that you can fix with bar codes, such as auto shut on the door.. it is a little slower than say a Triumph "work horse" , but has a ton of bells and whistles.. just wish I could find a way to eliminate it double probing every job and it would cut the edge time by 30%

in my lab I have a mixed bag..7E's 6E's, Santinelli, Mr. Blue and AIT's

Jeff Trail G.M.
    Southern Optical Chattanooga

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper One persons opinion.......................

One persons opinion about optical lab functions is Jeff Trail's. One of the most knowledgeable in this field.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe the Rep could not operate the machine!?
    Maybe you need to change the Rep!?

Occupation
    What can Mr. Blue do that a Santinelli ME 1000 or 1200 can't do?? Why should I buy from Essilor instead of the Japanese?? Also how does it stack up against the Helix??

:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How much is Helix?

I like ES4 also...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    What can Mr. Blue do that a Santinelli ME 1000 or 1200 can't do?? Why should I buy from Essilor instead of the Japanese?? Also how does it stack up against the Helix??

:cheers:
    With Mr. Blue, when you use My Eye Touch option, you can draw a shape with an unlimited number of points.
    I think that that with the Nidek you are limited.

Occupation
    Jacqui- it has a little more bells and whistles than the santinelli.. but does it compete with a helix? Nope, but the vast majority of retailers I know are never ever going to drop the $$ for a helix to be able to do gas cans or squared bevel insert.. which both are right up the helix' alley ...

Even a lot of wholesalers I know are leary about how much they have to drop to get a helix.. compared to subbing out the low amount of work it is really most useful for..

Jeff Trail

Occupation
    I don't have a ME-1200 (yet), but there is no limit to points that can be drawn on the ME-1000 (that I've found yet).

As for the Helix, well, I'd like one, but I know of another lab running one that has had constant issues with it.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I saw the Helix before it was released and begged my lab to buy one for one feature- the ability to drill from the back- they got it a year later. The Helix was not perfected so they got it after a number of other labs; after 6 months and not being able to get the work as good as they already have it, the machine was sent on to the next lab.
    The Helix is not ready to replace the MEI or even a couple of ME-1200's in what my lab found.

Craig

Occupation
    3 (if you can afford them) out there that seem to be on everyones list for the specialty work are the Helix, ES curve and SE9090 ... none of these are on the retail level for being cost effective.. I've seen the Helix and ES curve working, wish I knew someone running the SE9090 to see if it lived up to its hype..
    I know labs have had trouble out of the Helix and ES curve.. a little higher range of operator imput as well as equipment (tracer/network etc., etc.) to make it all work to peak..

Jeff Trail

Occupation
    I've seen a demo of the fully upgraded SE9090 running, but I haven't seen one running in a production enviornment (yet. I hope to have one here by the end of the year). We have a SE-9090, but it's an older version without all the fun curve/drill upgrades. Even so, the thing is awesome. For straight production work, it's the most efficient edger I've seen yet.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    I don't have a ME-1200 (yet), but there is no limit to points that can be drawn on the ME-1000 (that I've found yet).

As for the Helix, well, I'd like one, but I know of another lab running one that has had constant issues with it.
    I've been playing with my new Me1200 for about a month, no limitations like that so far :)
    Pez:D

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by pezfaerie View Post
    I've been playing with my new Me1200 for about a month, no limitations like that so far :)
    How many point can you introduce on your drawing ?
    Can you draw a complex shape with several angles, waves like those I have shown on my pictures in the other discussion about Mr. Blue ?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Trail View Post
    Glen- used a Mr.Blue since June of last year.. special cuts are it's forte' ... I run all my wraps on it ... great job on wraps/polish jobs and the crazier RX's... I am just now getting ready to start running drill jobs with it.. huge system issues we had to work through since I am on a network and use optifacts..

You can run all your functions from the touch screen on the machine..i.e. shape editor drills etc., .. I am strictly wholesale so I most defiantly put the machine through it's paces as far as pushing work .. I can get around 10 jobs per hour out of it.. full mix of materials. & bevel with high sheen polish on 80% of the work I push into it..

wish the shelf bevel was slightly deeper.. it keeps it's settings and so far I have only had 2 issues... center bearing went out on the groove wheel and snapped a couple of drill bits..

JR smith has found a few work arounds that you can fix with bar codes, such as auto shut on the door.. it is a little slower than say a Triumph "work horse" , but has a ton of bells and whistles.. just wish I could find a way to eliminate it double probing every job and it would cut the edge time by 30%

in my lab I have a mixed bag..7E's 6E's, Santinelli, Mr. Blue and AIT's

Jeff Trail G.M.
    Southern Optical Chattanooga

Hi there. The double tracing should only happen for Poly or minus lens jobs. If you really want to, I can email you a barcode that disables the double trace. Let me know if you would like it.

Regards the Helix, yes it can do more than Mr Blue in terms of bevelling and shelving, but it about three to four times the cost.

Thread Information