Thread: First pictures of Chinese optical laboratory.............................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper First pictures of Chinese optical laboratory.............................

I just fell on their new website and would like to hear some opinions fron OptiBoard members. There are dozen more pictures on that site and what is surprising, they work with European machines like Satis and American ones like Gerber Coburn. Not much Chinese Equipment to see. FreeForm and lots more......................
    What do you say?

Standard: ISO9001, CE, FDA, .......................Productivity: 1000 Pairs/Day

Conant Optics supply the latest Digital Free Form lenses,
    We effectively "optimized" your lenses, by be precisely generat it to a power of 0.01D.

http://conantoptics.en.made-in-china...n-Rx-Lens.html

http://conantoptics.en.made-in-china...ry-Tour-1.html

Click on pictures to enlarge.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris,

About a year ago I was contacted by one of the big players in on-line optical. I asked him straight up, "So how do you do it?" "How do you sell a pair of eyeglasses for $18.00?"

He replied, "Because we source 100% from China."

China has not meant cheap or poorly constructed for many years now. China is quite capable of producing quality products to meet the standards of even the most discerning company.

I am not defending their human rights, labor or pollution laws, just stating the facts... Chinese factories have modern equipment and brilliant engineers just like factories in other parts of what we think of as the industrial sector.

I'm not a big fan of "The Sleeping Giant" theory but China certainly is a big fish in an ever shrinking pond.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    Chris,

About a year ago I was contacted by one of the big players in on-line optical. I asked him straight up, "So how do you do it?" "How do you sell a pair of eyeglasses for $18.00?"

He replied, "Because we source 100% from China."

China has not meant cheap or poorly constructed for many years now. China is quite capable of producing quality products to meet the standards of even the most discerning company.

I am not defending their human rights, labor or pollution laws, just stating the facts... Chinese factories have modern equipment and brilliant engineers just like factories in other parts of what we think of as the industrial sector.

I'm not a big fan of "The Sleeping Giant" theory but China certainly is a big fish in an ever shrinking pond.
    Sounds like they have some good equipment. The price will only go down after they have reversed the engineering and start manufacturing the equipment. No laws against that in China. I'd bet they get lots of funds to support that process. Heck, maybe they will be able to sell Chinese manufactured equipment back to the USA. That LOH and Coburn stuff is so expensive anyway.
    Also I can tell you for sure that are many veterans wearing those by the box Chinese frames. (Can't give a price on OB) But yall know how much a box of those frames cost. They aint half bad. As good as most of what is on most frame bars, maybe all.

Occupation
    As for on line glasses, I plan to try a pair. I figure I will order just a frame to try on. If it fits, I will order the glasses. If it does not fit, toss them and try again 'till I find a good one. Still much cheaper than I would pay retail. The world is changing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    As for on line glasses, I plan to try a pair. I figure I will order just a frame to try on. If it fits, I will order the glasses. If it does not fit, toss them and try again 'till I find a good one. Still much cheaper than I would pay retail. The world is changing.
    Thank you for your Patronage! :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Don't forget that conantoptics is an Optiboard member.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Thank you for your Patronage! :hammer:
    Please provide a link to your website.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Of course if you went retail you would have a frame that fits well and looks good the first time.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I was interested until I saw that it was Conant. Not that they aren't interesting, I just already knew all of that about them. They have, in fact, been doing this for a good number of years now, and although they aren't very big in the US, they are increasing their presence in lens sales, both wholesale and retail.

As for the equipment, well, if you want to make quality lenses, you use quality equipment. I think the issue is that we automatically assume anything out of China is low quality, and while there is plenty of that still, there are more companies delivering higher quality products while maintaining lower costs.

What I find really interesting, in looking closer at the pictures, is that it's NOT automated....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    What I find really interesting, in looking closer at the pictures, is that it's NOT automated....
    With their labour costs, it doesn't need to be automated.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please provide a link to your website.
    eyeglassesfordummies.com

Sorry you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic.

So tell us what other eyecare related field you work in. I'm sure we all here could find what you do cheaper online. Surely you are like the rest of us here...Another useless cog in the wheel.

Excuss me now. I'm going to go onto a plumber's website and tell them how I'm gonna fix my pipes without their help or parts. Who needs an expert anyway?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    eyeglassesfordummies.com

Sorry you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic.

So tell us what other eyecare related field you work in. I'm sure we all here could find what you do cheaper online. Surely you are like the rest of us here...Another useless cog in the wheel.

Excuss me now. I'm going to go onto a plumber's website and tell them how I'm gonna fix my pipes without their help or parts. Who needs an expert anyway?
    I just can't see it as dumb for me to buy the same product from the same source for much, much less. I am not a plumber. Unlike the plumber, I have many many years in the optical bizz. I will be my expert on eyeglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Of course if you went retail you would have a frame that fits well and looks good the first time.
    But still costing much, much more than the disposable method I have decribed.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was reading an article in The Economist about the rising labor costs in China. Coupled with the shrinking value of the dollar, costs of shipping, and other costs associated with doing business with an overseas lab, the author of the article said to expect the increases in labor costs to negate the price advantage of doing business in China. The article said we should see more and more manufacturing shifting back from China to the US.

I spoke with representatives of this lab at VEE. I was underwhelmed by their lens prices. I would have to do a large quantity of business with them to make it possibly worth my while. Considering the ever-lower costs of digital lenses here in the US, I decided against doing business with them at this time.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    With their labour costs, it doesn't need to be automated.
    With that equipment, they actually need to train their people to run them, and more importantly, to recognize when something isn't working correctly. While automation wouldn't eleminate the need for trained people, it would make it more efficient. And the cost of trained labor is much higher.

We've dealt with Conant several times for various things, and they are some good people (at least their US people are, I haven't spoken with anyone from overseas).
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Thread Information