Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Braheem: Send Navy Chief a check.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Navy: Read Eyeglass One, prevailing Federal Law on this subject. It plainly states Rx must be given to the patient in his hand at the time of examination\ Odd how many opticians and OD's claim to not have read this despite it being printed on Optiboards numerous times.
    Unfortunately this is one of the least enforced things on the books or you could make a good living without working for a doctor.

Chip
    That's because the law was passed by a greedy self interest group with a lot of money to buy off politicians(where have I heard this before?). It had nothing to do with benefiting the patient. It caused more patients to fragment their eyecare...and now it does nothing more than foster internet buying. Great law.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually it was passed by a group of politicians to keep a greedy group of prescribers from taking advantage of and intimidating patients into purchasing spectacles when not needed, not the best quality or bargain, or just not where the patient would have chosen if not pressured. You will note that Medical Doctors are prevented from filling thier own Rx's for drugs, or having ownership in a drug store for much the same reasons.
    Now it is true that now that the chain opticals exist they have supported this as well as opposed licensing for opticians.
    You might also note this was concidered ethical behavior for physicians until recently.

Don't see how you could say that the independent opticians were greedy, just because the Rx gets out of the doctor's office, there is no guarantee that the patient will go anywhere in particular.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Braheem: Send Navy Chief a check.

You might want to double check your facts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Actually it was passed by a group of politicians to keep a greedy group of prescribers from taking advantage of and intimidating patients into purchasing spectacles when not needed, not the best quality or bargain, or just not where the patient would have chosen if not pressured. You will note that Medical Doctors are prevented from filling thier own Rx's for drugs, or having ownership in a drug store for much the same reasons.
    Now it is true that now that the chain opticals exist they have supported this as well as opposed licensing for opticians.
    You might also note this was concidered ethical behavior for physicians until recently.

Don't see how you could say that the independent opticians were greedy, just because the Rx gets out of the doctor's office, there is no guarantee that the patient will go anywhere in particular.

Chip
    No one pressured the patient to walk into a provider that happens to carry everything under one roof. In fact most patients prefer it. If they thought the prescriber was a high pressure kind of guy, why would they go there in the first place. In fact, Eyeglasses 1 put pressure on the patient to fragment their care and get bounced back and forth between providers when something went wrong.

You will note that dentists are not prevented from filling the cavities they find, and ophthalmologists are not prevented from removing the cataracts that they diagnose.

I'll say it again...the only reason that Eyeglasses 1 was passed was to benefit a small group of optical merchants...It was done under the guise of being for the public good, but it wasn't. And what has it spawned? Easy access to the Rx for internet shopping. So, shutup about Eyeglasses 1 unless you are willing to take your lumps when the patient exercises their right to buy on the internet.

Anyway, in a paperless office, everything will spit out of the computer at the end when payment is assured, as allowed by law.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    To ultra simplify this argument...exam isn't completed until you pay.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Zorg En Hoop, Paramaribo, Suriname, Suriname
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ever think of using handhelds (PDA's)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The easiest way to keep track of patients is to use your patient eyewear questionaire. Although we were 99% paperless every exam patient was given a health and eyewear questionaire before they werer seen. On the back we had printed our office "routing" information, like which Dr. they were seeing and any special pre-testing required, it was just a check list. Then outside the exam room door, we had slots for each Dr. where the clip-board went with the questionaire on it. Of course the patient name was hidden per HIPPA, but each Dr. could see where their patients were waiting at a glance, and what pre-testing had been done. After or during the exam the Dr. would add or update the information as needed. The questionaire would also ensure that exams and proceedures were properly billed, again, with tracking list on the back.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You will note that Medical Doctors are prevented from filling thier own Rx's for drugs, or having ownership in a drug store for much the same reasons.
    Chip, this just is not true, MD's are duly licensed to dispense drugs, they dispense all kinds of drugs all of the time, from chemo drugs, botox, avastin for macular degeneration injected into the eye, to Latisse to lengthen eyelashes. Happens everyday, and has ever since medicine existed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Patient Flow

Our office is EMR, but not with OfficeMate.

I think OfficeMate has patient flow options built in to the schedule. If I recall correctly, you can set the status of any patient on the schedule to something along the lines of "checked in," "pretest," "exam," or some sort of status settings like that.

I haven't seen OfficeMate in some years, now, so I might be wrong.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    Our office is EMR, but not with OfficeMate.

I think OfficeMate has patient flow options built in to the schedule. If I recall correctly, you can set the status of any patient on the schedule to something along the lines of "checked in," "pretest," "exam," or some sort of status settings like that.

I haven't seen OfficeMate in some years, now, so I might be wrong.
    You are correct. I found it and have been trying it for about 2 weeks. It seems to be working pretty well. Just have to constintly remind staff to pay attention to the computer rather than wait for a chart. It's an adjustment, but with time we will get it. I'm bound and determined to get us 100% paperless. :D

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We encountered the same problem. Our software can print a patient slip and we use that in place of the chart.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think there is a trend in the future that doctor will use barcode reader to identifie barcode of the patient without a card.

Thread Information