Thread: The end has come (A discussion about real horn and tortoise shell)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy The end has come (A discussion about real horn and tortoise shell)

In France it is still legal to make real horn and tortoise shell frames however we are only allowed to use existing stock. According to the craftsman I work with most will have to close shop within the next five years. The stocks are almost empty, black horn and clear tortoise shell are not almost impossible to find. Prices are on the rise and the big bespoke frame manufacturers such as Maison Bonnet and Lafont are burning through the stocks at light speed with their many rich clients. A little piece of advice, if you are dreaming of having bespoke horn or tortoise shell frames have them done now, before it is too late. As of yesterday the craftsman who works with me is no longer able to make black horn frames and most of his stock is low except for light brown horn. It's sad we can't renew our stock. Anyone else closing shop because of this too? While we will continue selling 'Chinese Frames' after that my craftsman will have to retire or find another industry, I think this is quite unfortunate as he is a young man of only 40. Perhaps wood is the future? Will we be making wood frames? What do you think? The main advantage is beyond being beautiful if well take care of horn is for life.

PS: On a side note I have been saving a long time to order my own horn frames :D He is keeping a bit of greenish horn just for me! Unfortunately no friend discount, the stuff is so rare now!
    Last edited by The Eye; 05-11-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So move your shop to Lichtenstien or something and sell them in Paris.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    So move your shop to Lichtenstien or something and sell them in Paris.
    But the world stock is almost exhausted everywhere!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    This is what happens when you get into a dying industry. (3rd worst pun of the day so far for me :) )

Has your craftsman looked into using bone? Properly treated bone is very durable and will last quite a while.

Or I suppose you can go on an illegal turtle killing spree and claim they are existing stock.....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Someone in Viet Nam is selling horn (water buffalo) and horn frames. I'll check on an address in a little bit. Turtle/tortise ain't gonna happen untill about the year 2299. Wood is gaining popularity in some circles, might be interesting, I've used it.

Occupation

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now if you could just get the powers that be to allow shooting of the skate birds for the few days that the turtles hatch on Dry Tortougas and other islands, we would have turtles in abundance. It's a sad, sad thing to the damn birds decending on the sand and water and gobbling up the hatch. And it's not even an etable bird.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Now if you could just get the powers that be to allow shooting of the skate birds for the few days that the turtles hatch on Dry Tortougas and other islands, we would have turtles in abundance. It's a sad, sad thing to the damn birds decending on the sand and water and gobbling up the hatch. And it's not even an etable bird.

Chip
    Well, I'm not for the killing of tortoises but erm yeat I wish we could could have people 'salvage old dead tortoises'.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    There is plenty of horn available on the world market. Turtle shell is scarce.I have sold hundreds of the have made a few myself. Have sold the wholesale for years and most opticians used to buy an extra pair because their labguys used to break them whn mounting lenses..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    There is plenty of horn available on the world market. Turtle shell is scarce.I have sold hundreds of the have made a few myself. Have sold the wholesale for years and most opticians used to buy an extra pair because their labguys used to break them whn mounting lenses..
    Tortoise breaks far more easily. Unless the guy is a student someone who is careful won't break horn spectacles. Tortoise shell is so fragile that if you drop it from 20cm height it will break if it hits hard ground, horn won't.

Thread Information