Thread: Coating for frame to prevent finish from wearing off

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Coating for frame to prevent finish from wearing off

I have a customer who loves a particular metal frame. The color on the inside of the temples wore off and the mfgr replaced it. That one is losing its color, too. I got a third one (the very last one in the color she likes) and am hoping to have it clear coated to prevent the color loss. Do you know of anyone who does this besides Hilco? I've had several jobs from them that had to be redone because the application was so sloppy.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper hoping to have it clear coated to prevent the color loss.........................

Quote Originally Posted by VHB View Post

I have a customer who loves a particular metal frame. The color on the inside of the temples wore off and the mfgr replaced it. That one is losing its color, too. I got a third one (the very last one in the color she likes) and am hoping to have it clear coated to prevent the color loss. Do you know of anyone who does this besides Hilco? I've had several jobs from them that had to be redone because the application was so sloppy.

Here is exactly what you want. You get the coating and apply it to the frame and it will work for sure. This coating will not only protect metal frames from attacks by perspiration and facial acids, bot as well plastc frames from turning white.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just use clear nail polish. Same as for people that have an allergy to metal frames where the finish wears of and turns green. should last for a year or so but you can re-apply as needed.
    equal opportunity offender!!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper nail varnish dissolves by contact to different solbvent

Quote Originally Posted by bhess25 View Post

just use clear nail polish. Same as for people that have an allergy to metal frames where the finish wears of and turns green. should last for a year or so but you can re-apply as needed.
    nail varnish dissolves by contact to different solbvent or their fumes and all protection is gone.
    Obviously the message was written without looking at above marked link which talks of a way to get protection for years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    nail varnish dissolves by contact to different solbvent or their fumes and all protection is gone.
    Obviously the message was written without looking at above marked link which talks of a way to get protection for years.
    i saw it. the nail polish is something i have used, its just a cheap alternative. i wasn't debating, just offering another idea. wow 15 years, if someone has a frame for 15 years you need to re-evaluate your sales techniques!!!! jk

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I use Chris's frame protect whenever I get frames with stones on them. I give the stones a light coat with it and our stone drop-out rate has declined markedly. I am a bit disappointed that it seems to thicken up after six months or so. I had cleaned out a nail polish bottle with brush and filled it with the protectant, and now it's too thick to use. Can I thin it some with acetone?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Real OPTICIANS don't have sales techniques. Just good service.

Chip

Occupation

Blue Jumper In over 15 years since then it has shown not a spec of oxydation....................

Dragon..............this is a mix of 6 Dow Corning polysiloxanes that works on a humidity cure system. It actually starts getting syrupy after 6 month and ends up un-usable.
    However the layer made is an absolute fantastic protector.

I have an object that I applied it on, a brass US Civil War bugle, that I bought 20 years ago. Cleaned off all oxidation deposits and buffed and polished it. In over 15 years since then it has shown not a spec of oxidation.

A super product that goes bad after a while and so does a Beef tenderloin, use it or eat it before it does.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, I just sent you a p.m. In fact, I think I sent you the same one twice.

Occupation
    Thanks Virginia, and I answered it, but only once.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I use Chris's frame protect whenever I get frames with stones on them. I give the stones a light coat with it and our stone drop-out rate has declined markedly. I am a bit disappointed that it seems to thicken up after six months or so. I had cleaned out a nail polish bottle with brush and filled it with the protectant, and now it's too thick to use. Can I thin it some with acetone?
    i might have to try some of it if it'll keep the stones in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Chris, the bottle just arrived, but the directions don't mention anything about steam. I remember reading it in the link you supplied, but I'm wondering if it is optional.

Occupation
    The product is a humidity cure polymer. Apply it with a kleenex, a drop goes very far, let it sit for at least 15 minutes, but you can accelerate the curing by passing through some steam coming out of a kettel. A minute will do. Then buff it and your done.
    It really protects well.

Chris

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How big is the bottle? If you only need a drop and you can't use it after 6 months, I hope it's really small.

Also, are you charging patients to apply this coating?
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's 120 ml and cost, with shipping from Canada, $42.31. I'm not planning on charging anyone for this. The customer I got it for has had problems with the finish (which, frankly, just looks like paint instead of how a colored titanium frame usually looks) on her frame. The mfgr replaced it once, but it's happening again. I just got the last frame in the right color, so I've got to protect the finish somehow.

I will try using it on my Judith Leiber frames next. I have a lot of problems with the stones falling out and if this will keep them in, my life will be a lot easier! I put the bottle in an airtight plastic bag and am leaving it in a cool, dark place in hopes of extending its shelf life.

Occupation

I put the bottle in an airtight plastic bag and am leaving it in a cool, dark place in hopes of extending its shelf life.

One hint...............keeping it in the fridge will definitely help prolong its shelf life. Some of these products are like the best food, they spoil after a certain time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting! Into the refrigerator it goes!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I discovered a solvent (in desperation one day) that works amazingly well in keeping stones in frames....it's the liquid interliner..just dab a thin coat over the stones and it dries clear

Thread Information