Thread: AR colour in reflection.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Idea AR colour in reflection.

Just wondered how critical this is to customers in general.

The AR coating is presumably designed so that the reflected colour appears correct when viewed at normal incidence (90 degrees from the surface). Although small angles of deviation make little difference, this colour will change for larger viewing angles. The curvature of larger diameter lenses means that light entering the eye from the outer zones has been reflected through a large angle. The spectrum of the edge coating of a curved lens is likely to show a shift anyway because of the mechanics of the vacuum deposition process.

What I am saying is, that despite the best efforts of coating labs, it is very difficult to achieve a total uniformity of product. A lens may still have good antireflective properties even though the relex colour is poor.

What I would like to know is how much this bothers the end users. Clearly, the reflex colours of left and right lenses should match, and the front and rear reflex colours of each lens should also be comparable. Apart from this, are many lenses rejected for reasons of colour? How do stores make the judgement of whether or not the coating is acceptable? Do they look at reflections from lighting at normal incidence, or is the whole thing more subjective, and seen as the end user would experience it?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahhhh....the Christmas tree ornament phenomena!

There is no excuse for mismatched front to back reflex colors, nor an excuse for right to left difference in reflex color, and no excuse for the color to be non uniform edge to edge! I usually spot these Christmas tree ornament jobs from yards(meters) away.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To the consumer it makes no difference. I was a rep who introduced Crizal 16+ years ago and have done 100% non glare in my retail stores since opening 12.5 years ago.
    I am now using a "clear" AR that has almost no color hue and not one patient has noticed the improvement. We like the look and we never discuss it with the consumer. The only one who notices is the picky opticians; the color hue needs to be close, but not perfect to be an acceptable product.
    As long as the coating does not peel off until after 2.5 years.

Craig

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Ahhhh....the Christmas tree ornament phenomena!

There is no excuse for mismatched front to back reflex colors, nor an excuse for right to left difference in reflex color, and no excuse for the color to be non uniform edge to edge! I usually spot these Christmas tree ornament jobs from yards(meters) away.
    You are forgetting the chemat products. It impossible, without a lot of luck, to have the colors match.

Thread Information