View Poll Results: What is the going pay rate for a fill in doctor in your area?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • <350/day

3 20.00%
  • $350/day

2 13.33%
  • $400/day

7 46.67%
  • $450/day

0 0%
  • >$450/day

3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What should I pay a fill in doctor?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

What should I pay a fill in doctor?

Optometry practice owners need time off, but sometimes they don't just want to close up shop, so they look for a good fill in doctor to cover for them.

But how to know what to pay them? As a fill in doctor job resource website owner, I have had lots of exposure to the going rates around the country.

A national average would be about $400/day for an 8 hour day. In some areas the fee has to be about $500 / day or more, depending on how rural the location, and the availability of fill in doctors.

Overall, the rates are generally $50/hr, and more if it is just a half day.

From the employer's perspective, it will be easier to find a good doctor if you offer a decent, dignified amount ($400/day), or a percentage (75%) of the total doctor's fees earned that day (whichever is higher).

For example, if the office makes $1000 that day, then the doctor would be paid $750. If the office only makes $500, then the doctor would be paid $400, since that would be higher than 75% ($375).

This offers the best for both parties, and keeps the fill in doctor happy to work hard, because they are getting rewarded for it.

What have you found in your experiences?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You have obviously never run your own practice....Nobody is going to pay a hired hand 75% of the office gross for the day...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Also,considering OD's are a dime a dozen in most of the US, nobody has to pay your suggested decent,dignified amount...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I sure rates will vary based on your local as you mentioned. Check with your local O.D. association, they may send emails for fill-in docs looking for work, and you can get a sense of rates that way. I'd say your in the ball park though.

BTW - he is saying 75% of exam fees, not total office revenues. Some places around here will give a percentage of total office revenues that day to motivate the doc to talk the pt. about glasses. Get a "next door" only experienced type doc, and they may not know how to do that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I worked for private practice the fill ins got 100.00 an hour. We didn't take just anyone, we had two that we used and they were great.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Stop doing fill in work. Start your own practice. Then answer your question.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by kws6000 View Post
    You have obviously never run your own practice....Nobody is going to pay a hired hand 75% of the office gross for the day...
    Quote Originally Posted by kws6000 View Post
    Also,considering OD's are a dime a dozen in most of the US, nobody has to pay your suggested decent,dignified amount...

Thanks for your reply. It seems your assessment may be inaccurate in certain parts of the country. I currently own a practice and I also do fill in work myself (it is slow). The going rate seems to be around $400 to $450 per day, and I pay the same. I have earned up to $1200 in one day with the 70-80% of gross professional fee compensation. You may be thinking that I meant that the employer would pay a percentage of OPTICAL sales, but I meant that the fill in doctor earns 70-80% of the DOCTOR'S professional fees (contact lens, glasses, dilations, procedures, etc.).

hope that clarifies and informs you a bit about the going rates.

Thread Information