Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edger Comparison

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Edger Comparison

Has anyone used both the Briot Axcell CL-D and the Santinelli/Nidek Lex1000 edger with Ice 1000 blocker and Lex Drill?

We're using the Santinelli now but one of the docs is considering an edger w/ drill capabilities for his other office. He thinks the Briot will be less expensive because the drill is not a separate component. I think more moving parts = less reliable, but I've never used a Briot anything.

If so, do you have a preference? Is one more reliable, does one perform better?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Get a seprate drilling system. You will find independance valuable.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Between the two, I would stay with Santinelli. If you want to look further check the Weco 580 from AIT and the National Optonics Horizon 7.

Seperate units really are better, especially in a busy lab. You can edge and drill at the same time. Check the new Santinelli LE1000 and a Smart Drill, should be cheaper and probably better.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would much prefer the lenses to stay in one machine; we do 70% drill mounts. There is no real advantage to seperating the machines and increasing the handling of the lenses. The Santinelli ME-1200 is more advanced than the Lex system.

If you only do some drillmounts; seperate is fine and less expensive, but one package will be more accurate and consistent.
    Run from the Briot and I ahve not seen the 580 yet.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i have the briot alta pro and the alta xs blocker...great machines. once you trace the demo or frame its easy to change any measurement on the lens (hole size, location; notch size, location, axis, lens size, lens shape (great for custom drills or semi rimless). is has an internal 3 axis drill, the machine does pretty much anything, from high wraps to drills, semi rimless, 6 options for bevels (including shallow), and soooo much more. I couldn't even begin to praise these two pieces of equipment enough!!!!
    Last edited by bhess25; 05-03-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    equal opportunity offender!!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell Mike to avoid the Briot. He can call me with questions.
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have used a Briot with a drill before they are neat but I prefer the Optronics 7E myself. I run a 7EA and a 7HLP both with drilling capabilities. I have not drilled with them very often as they are a back up for a CNC drill, but what I have done is very nice. On the down side it is very time consuming. That is were having a separate drill system comes in handy.
    Depending on the amount of work you do and the number of drill jobs you process that could put a serious crimp in your work flow.
    we process on some days 15 drill jobs along with about 250 other jobs a day. We could not loose that much production time on drilling all those jobs on the edger.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by loose-screw View Post
    I have used a Briot with a drill before they are neat but I prefer the Optronics 7E myself. I run a 7EA and a 7HLP both with drilling capabilities. I have not drilled with them very often as they are a back up for a CNC drill, but what I have done is very nice. On the down side it is very time consuming. That is were having a separate drill system comes in handy.
    Depending on the amount of work you do and the number of drill jobs you process that could put a serious crimp in your work flow.
    we process on some days 15 drill jobs along with about 250 other jobs a day. We could not loose that much production time on drilling all those jobs on the edger.
    the 7E is a very nice machine, however the drill function is a straight shaft that can only drill straight into the lens. I use to use 2 7E's with drills and i did like the units, just not for drilling. when you get into higher RX's only being able to drill straight into the lens doesn't produce the most accurate hole patterns. Your better off looking for a system with a multi axis drilling function. the briot does that very well. I have used 14 different machines so far, 8 of them with drills and the best so far that I've seen (for medium capacity labs) is the alta pro. Again I do love the 7E without question, it has soo many different blades available to do many different bevel types, but the briot for a small to medium size lab with a drilling function used in conjunction with the alta XS tracer is IMHO exceptional!!!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Great discussion on this topic.
    Last edited by Stan Tabor; 05-14-2011 at 09:29 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have ALOT of experience with the drilling edgers. Axcell CLD dont even consider, please, it is very old technology with out angling drill. You want something to drill 0-30 degrees. I would do "in chamber" drilling WET, not dry.

Briot Alta, great machine especialy the PRO. 2 yr warranty so so price

Satinelli ME series, great machine (take out a second on the house) 1 yr warranty

Coburn Technologies, Excellon XD seems to be a great machine, 3yr warranty and AMAZING price.

AIT nope, nah and heck NO.

Optronics, great wholesale lab edger

Essilor (the monster), Mr. Blue seems to be a great machine...still early to tell if you ask me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jcman View Post
    Essilor (the monster), Mr. Blue seems to be a great machine...still early to tell if you ask me.
    where can you find the essilor machines, i know these use to be made by coburn but I'm not sure which machine your referring to with "Mr. blue".

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr. Blue is the name of the new edger made by Essilor. It has been out about a year now. Essilor has always made thier own edgers, Kappa, Gamma...so on. Gerber Coburn was the distributer, just like Santinelli distributes the Nidek edger under thier name. So Essilor now sells their own edger's, and owns Optronics, Satis Loh and their own label. They own the labs and the equipment, now all they need are the retailers.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It is nice to have angled drilling. Although the ME-1000 doesn't have an on-board tracer, if given the choice between a LEX1000 with side-car drill or the drill-on-board ME-1000, I would definitely opt for the ME-1000. The large touchscreen and drill editing software are well designed, and the removable memory card is a good for backups. It even works with a manual blocker. Some edgers require a separate blocker to perform drilling.
    Last edited by basecurved; 05-15-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jcman View Post
    Mr. Blue is the name of the new edger made by Essilor. It has been out about a year now. Essilor has always made thier own edgers, Kappa, Gamma...so on. Gerber Coburn was the distributer, just like Santinelli distributes the Nidek edger under thier name. So Essilor now sells their own edger's, and owns Optronics, Satis Loh and their own label. They own the labs and the equipment, now all they need are the retailers.
    Hello,

I am a french optician and I work since 1 year with Mr. Blue.
    I have no problem with this edger (I have had a Kappa CT before).
    The big interest of this machine is that you can prepare your job on a PC, save it and recall it or re-use it later.
    Another important point is that the lenses is cutted with a drill before to be finished.
    It's mean less waste in the water because their are collected in a basket under ther edger.

I apologize for my very bad english !!!.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just read about mr. blue. Yeah ill be getting one, thats a pretty sweet unit. We have been looking to add another edger to keep up with the work starting to flow in and that looks like the perfect solution. I love the different shapes and patterns it can do. I just hope it does as well as they say!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by bhess25 View Post
    just read about mr. blue. Yeah ill be getting one, thats a pretty sweet unit. We have been looking to add another edger to keep up with the work starting to flow in and that looks like the perfect solution. I love the different shapes and patterns it can do. I just hope it does as well as they say!!
    Yes, Mr. Blue do a god job.
    You can draw every pattern you want !

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anybody try the Weco 580?

Who has tried.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Who has tried.
    Is this a tweet, or is who the same guy that's on 1st?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Lol!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by VTC View Post
    Hello,

I am a french optician and I work since 1 year with Mr. Blue.
    I have no problem with this edger (I have had a Kappa CT before).
    The big interest of this machine is that you can prepare your job on a PC, save it and recall it or re-use it later.
    Another important point is that the lenses is cutted with a drill before to be finished.
    It's mean less waste in the water because their are collected in a basket under ther edger.

I apologize for my very bad english !!!.

We have many people here from around the world whose native language is not English. However technically poor it may be, they nevertheless get their idea across in much better fashion than those of us whose native language IS English could ever do in whatever language other than English is used.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you four your encouragement !

and also for firefox dictionary !

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by bhess25 View Post

One of my former employees is now one of the Mr Blue reps. She was a Zeiss rep that lost her job along with the others.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by basecurved View Post
    It is nice to have angled drilling. Although the ME-1000 doesn't have an on-board tracer, if given the choice between a LEX1000 with side-car drill or the drill-on-board ME-1000, I would definitely opt for the ME-1000. The large touchscreen and drill editing software are well designed, and the removable memory card is a good for backups. It even works with a manual blocker. Some edgers require a separate blocker to perform drilling.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I would Opt for the ME series for my next edger.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi friends, is there any user of ME-1200. I am, unable to see the machine functioning as there r no videos available. if anyone can share the video atleast, it will be great.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dear Freinds,
    awaiting your feedback on the ME-1200 video. Please share if any one has got. you can even mail me the video or link to jamitk@rediffmail.com

Thread Information