Thread: Need advice trying to become a ophthalmic tech

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Need advice trying to become a ophthalmic tech

Hey I am curently a licensed optician but I really want to work on the medical side. Its not an option in my current job and don't know the best way of getting started. Most of the ophthalmic tech jobs that are posted all want work experince or certifed which I don't have. There are no schools in my area that offer classes to be able to sit in the coa test. But I did see that there are home study courses as a option. Does anyone know anything about these courses? Do they give close training to what you would get if you go to school?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The COA is the entry test of the OMP profession. You have to complete the home study course of the American Academy of Ophthalmology , then work 1 year under an Ophthalmologist and then take a relatively easy test. Then after that you must complete 18 hour of continuing education. Pay is relatively low when you start this profession. The next step is the COT test and you must complete 27 credits and have worked as COA for what I believe is 1 year.After that you must apply for a practical test and a written (computer based) test. The COT makes considerable more money than the COA and sometimes your career stops there as there is no consideable opportunities for COMT unless you work for retina group, a University or some ophthalmologists that values the COMT pay. In these economic times, Ophthalmology is having a hard time as well and generally they prefer and take assistants without training and put them in the mill to refract after a brief training. As a COT you generally will be employed and never your own boss something that as an optician you can.If you do becomea COT keep it as it a worthwhile credential. Also keep your license because if you ever go into business by yourself, you may attract an ophthalmologist and establish a satellite office in your optical. You may end up doing refractions, tonometry, vision screenings and thus you will benefit as it will bring expanded duties to your own practice. It is a good career move in the long range if your planning to be your own boss as an optician but rather a poor choice if you simply want to lurk along life. Better go to school and becomea nurse, cosmetolgist or something else that pays. I would suggest a pacemaker tech...roughly 6 months triaining with earning potential of more than 150k in your area. I was a COT and manager for well over two decades so I know all the ins and out of this profession. Money is not everything but it helps quite a bit in the range of happiness.

CNG
    Last edited by CNG; 04-17-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: cng

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Learn to say: "Yes, Doctor." very well.

Thread Information