Thread: Me 1000 calibration

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Me 1000 calibration

I'm having problem with drill jobs on my ME1000. drill holes coming out oblong, small , or coordinates off. Is there any recalibrations that can be done.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Call the Santinelli and have a tech come in and do it. Unless you have the calibration jig (which does not come with the edger, it must be purchased separately, and is EXPENSIVE), any adjustments you make will be trial and error until you find what works. Without that calibration jig, there really isn't anyway to calibrate it, other than making a change, and then running a lens to see the result.

However, an easy potential fix is to check the drill bit. If it's worn, that will cause small holes. Also make sure it's in tightly, and all the way into the drill mechanism. That will also throw the holes off. And make sure the bit is clean; swarf built up on the bit will through sizing off as well. Oblong and off co-ordinate holes is usually an issue with the LMU units not measuring the lenses correctly. That can throw off both the placement of the holes, and the angle the drill hits the holes.
    Last edited by WFruit; 04-14-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: cleaning the bit
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Drill bits are new and tight. I do have some kind of jig. looks like you take the chuck off to use it. round machined piece with a half moon cut ouf of one end of the circle and a few other machined notches etc. I've always had trouble getting tech to do anysort of walk through with me. I can tell them what parts I need or they want me to send the machine in for service, but I did submit a requests for help to them.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You need to request the tech we usually get (whose name, of course, I can't remember.....). He explains EVERYTHING he's doing to anyone and everyone who wants to know.

If that jig has a hole in it that looks like the whole drill mechanism can fit into, you can give it a try.

WARNING: IF THAT IS NOT THE CORRECT CALIBRATION JIG, IT WILL COMPLETELY RUIN THE CALIBRATION OF THE MACHINE.

Trust me, it's not pleasant. I accidentally tried to calibrate our ME-1000 with the jig for our SE-9090. It didn't work. In fact, it failed REALLY spectacularly.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    "failed REALLY spectacularly" is enough warning for me. I'll wait for a call from the tech.

thanks for the info though!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Coordinate calibration is a very expensive proposition, lucky for you they just came out with the me-1200 and I'm offering a trade in of 10K for uncalibrated me-1000's :)

you'll thank me later, I'll pm you my shipping address.

Occupation

Wave Probable fix for your drill problem

Quote Originally Posted by NOVUS2 View Post
    I'm having problem with drill jobs on my ME1000. drill holes coming out oblong, small , or coordinates off. Is there any recalibrations that can be done.
    I think the problem would be found between the drill head and the drill head tilt motor. Chances are that you will find a little play between the gears and the motor (tilt motor and not drill motor) you would need to adjust both units in order to remove the back lash. Not to close to each other (to tight is no better then to loose). If the holes are oval that means the drill head gear is loose.( play on the drill head rotation ) It could also affect the hole location (as if axis was off ) If the drill bit is damaged the holes sizes will be affected but will not make oval holes. Hope it helps. Good luck

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hi fruit, have u upgraded to ME-1200.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A common source of these problem is if the lens tracing units are hitting the lens tape or pads.
    Be sure to check this out

B

Occupation
    Are you running 2.08 version?

Thread Information