Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optical iPhone App

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Optical iPhone App

My iPhone app was just accepted in the app store! It is called Optical Tool
    I am offering it free for a limited time.

It has seven different calculators, a quick reference to ANSI Standards, and more calculators to come.
    If you want to find out more go to http://brent.mccardle.me
    or follow this link to the app store

Let me know what you think or if you want to see a particular formula.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First off, congrats on the time and effort to get this done.

Second, not quite sure why I would want or need something like this on my iphone, even if I had one, and I don't. I have ready access to most optical calculators on my computer(free), and surely wouldn't pull out an iphone at the dispensing table to check something.

Good luck in your endeaver.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    And here I am with my HTC Evo - running Android and circles around any iPhone on the market.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    First off, congrats on the time and effort to get this done.

Second, not quite sure why I would want or need something like this on my iphone, even if I had one, and I don't. I have ready access to most optical calculators on my computer(free), and surely wouldn't pull out an iphone at the dispensing table to check something.

Good luck in your endeaver.
    Thanks.
    I understand where you are coming from, but part of the reason I started this project was listening to my students feedback. Many of them would connect to my course through there phone and there is not much "mobilized" content out there, so I started developing web pages that could be accessed with a mobile device.
    I originally started this as a web app, but I did not like the way it worked on any device and since I had a little Objective C knowledge I decided to make an iPhone app.
    During the beta testing phase I had some of my students test this app out, some of them worked in private dispensaries, some for private OD's and some for Corporate offices and they all liked having the ability to pull up the information without going to the computer. I also had it tested in private labs non optical people and other Opticianry Instructors.
    I think many of the Opticians coming out of school today are using technology in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    And here I am with my HTC Evo - running Android and circles around any iPhone on the market.
    We can probably agree to disagree here. I have seen some very nice devices running Android, but the amount of devices that Android has to work on makes the OS very fractured.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Android is Android, doesn't really matter (for the app being discussed) if the version is 1.6, 2.1, 2.2 or 2.3 it still will run, The whole fragmentation issue is really being blown out of proportion. Android devices are being activated at the rate of 300,000 per day world wide. Android will be the most widely used smartphone OS perhaps by the end of the year or Q1 2012 in the world. Android devices are typically more powerful and faster than iOS devices, there are more of them and new one's come out every 6 weeks or so, not every 6 months or so. My Galaxy S has 4X the graphical power of an I Phone4.

Kudo's on the iOS app though.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Android is Android, doesn't really matter (for the app being discussed) if the version is 1.6, 2.1, 2.2 or 2.3 it still will run, The whole fragmentation issue is really being blown out of proportion. Android devices are being activated at the rate of 300,000 per day world wide. Android will be the most widely used smartphone OS perhaps by the end of the year or Q1 2012 in the world. Android devices are typically more powerful and faster than iOS devices, there are more of them and new one's come out every 6 weeks or so, not every 6 months or so. My Galaxy S has 4X the graphical power of an I Phone4.

Kudo's on the iOS app though.
    Thank you.

I have friends that develop for both - and they simply won't develop for one without developing for the other. In their words, 'if you can't accomplish that then you're not a developer - you're simply good at using scripting tools'.

Occupation
    Brent,

Thanks, wow, amazing, take any and all of those compliments and I don't have either an iphone or a android phone. The amount of work it takes to accomplish wat you did along with the fact that yu submitted it to the app store and made it available for free for a limited time shows a great deal of dedication.

The timing is funny I just wrote a HTML5, Javascript, and CSS app for the iphone, but it would also work on the android and any other phoen that supports a browser with HTML5. Objective C is a bit more difficult and a lot more dedication is required to put an app out. I have heard that just getting it pushed into the store takes three weeks so it's a process and requires you to be dedicated to the project.

I just did a thickness calc and Wes(s) suggested a version of Darryl's program for the iphone, I was thinking of taking a crack at a ray trace and tilt compensator program, but if you've got the Objective C thing down it may be a great addition to your tool.

Also I don't know if any of the opticians here realize the significance of an iphone app or android app or just pain old phone app, but it marks the dawn of a new generation fo optical dispensar that is using technology to deliver supreme service. Kudos to your program and I hope it gets the downloads it deserves.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I just did a thickness calc and Wes(s) suggested a version of Darryl's program for the iphone...
    Wes(s)! Lol! Too funny. Really though, Id love to see Darryl's spec optics for droid. (And iphone,too I suppose )
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post

... 'if you can't accomplish that then you're not a developer - you're simply good at using scripting tools'.
    You still have to write the code to make the program work. Xcode did not write the code for me nor does Eclipse write the code for Android apps.
    I guess by your definition, developers who wrote for the Mac and not Windows(or vice-versa) are not developers.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Brent,

Thanks, wow, amazing, take any and all of those compliments and I don't have either an iphone or a android phone. The amount of work it takes to accomplish wat you did along with the fact that yu submitted it to the app store and made it available for free for a limited time shows a great deal of dedication.

The timing is funny I just wrote a HTML5, Javascript, and CSS app for the iphone, but it would also work on the android and any other phoen that supports a browser with HTML5. Objective C is a bit more difficult and a lot more dedication is required to put an app out. I have heard that just getting it pushed into the store takes three weeks so it's a process and requires you to be dedicated to the project.

I just did a thickness calc and Wes(s) suggested a version of Darryl's program for the iphone, I was thinking of taking a crack at a ray trace and tilt compensator program, but if you've got the Objective C thing down it may be a great addition to your tool.

Also I don't know if any of the opticians here realize the significance of an iphone app or android app or just pain old phone app, but it marks the dawn of a new generation fo optical dispensar that is using technology to deliver supreme service. Kudos to your program and I hope it gets the downloads it deserves.
    Thanks Harry, I just took a look at your app, it is very nice and something I will point out to my students and other Opticians. Thanks for putting it together. I know that putting together a web app is no small feat either!
    I think we need all types, web apps, Android apps, and iOS apps to make the programs continue to get better. You are correct, there is a new generation using different types of technology to deliver a great experience.

Getting the app approved did take patience, but I learned a lot along the way.
    I do plan on adding more formulas and features, this was a 1.0 release so there is more to come.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Great work! I will find it useful on a weekly basis at least.
    UFRICH:cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensgrinder View Post
    You still have to write the code to make the program work. Xcode did not write the code for me nor does Eclipse write the code for Android apps.
    I guess by your definition, developers who wrote for the Mac and not Windows(or vice-versa) are not developers.
    Actually my friends who know far more that I do about app development say that. They make a pretty good living doing what they do - so I take their word on it. Just like they take my word on lens options and frame choices when they buy from me.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by UFRich View Post
    Great work! I will find it useful on a weekly basis at least.
    Thanks, I hope you enjoy it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very nice job Brent!!

OptiBoard Apprentice Optomitrix Prime's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I own a ip4, and have an optician here that restores,upgrades,sells android phones, apple phones... he owns a galaxy s, htc evo, iphone 4, 3gs... i play with em when we have time... honestly what it breaks down to, is navigation through the phone, display is comparable.. mostly for me elegance is the key factor... i love the look of the iphone4 feels great in my hand.. is naked as well, no case to assist with the antenna issue( which is not to big of a problem in my daily use, i probably use it 80% of my day). Your gonna have to forgive my curiosity but, Even the jailbreak software for installous/cydia, has such a great navigation feel! I played with the galaxy s & htc evo (Great Movie quality screens and wonderful speeds!) But Not worth switching to android, especially when my 32g is maxed out and still performs impeccable speed and navigation// 10 HD movies, 2000 songs, 187 full apps that never crash, too much to compare! anyway, any device that you decide to choose these days is going to be your favorite! Unless you own them all!

btw brent- unfortunately i did try to get your free app, and i need to upgrade my os to 4.1 // in fear that my jailbreak will not work withthe upgrade i will refuse! ;)

Cheers! Lux OM, Optomitrix Prime!

OptiBoard Apprentice OpticianBarry's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Excellent work. Great idea. Where I work we are not allowed access to the internet. When a patient asks for approx. thickness this app is great. Thank you for all your hard efforts. The app works wonderful.
    "Enjoy The Gift of Sight"
    Florida LDO, AAS, ABOC, NCLE, Board Certified

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Optomitrix Prime View Post
    I own a ip4, and have an optician here that restores,upgrades,sells android phones, apple phones... he owns a galaxy s, htc evo, iphone 4, 3gs... i play with em when we have time... honestly what it breaks down to, is navigation through the phone, display is comparable.. mostly for me elegance is the key factor... i love the look of the iphone4 feels great in my hand.. is naked as well, no case to assist with the antenna issue( which is not to big of a problem in my daily use, i probably use it 80% of my day). Your gonna have to forgive my curiosity but, Even the jailbreak software for installous/cydia, has such a great navigation feel! I played with the galaxy s & htc evo (Great Movie quality screens and wonderful speeds!) But Not worth switching to android, especially when my 32g is maxed out and still performs impeccable speed and navigation// 10 HD movies, 2000 songs, 187 full apps that never crash, too much to compare! anyway, any device that you decide to choose these days is going to be your favorite! Unless you own them all!

btw brent- unfortunately i did try to get your free app, and i need to upgrade my os to 4.1 // in fear that my jailbreak will not work withthe upgrade i will refuse! ;)

Cheers! Lux OM, Optomitrix Prime!
    I think both iOS and Android are put together very well. The competition from both platforms has made each OS really good.
    We all have our favorites and.

I thought there was a jailbreak release for iOS 4.1, I remember reading this somewhere.
    PM me and I will give you some information for my app.

Quote Originally Posted by OpticianBarry View Post
    Excellent work. Great idea. Where I work we are not allowed access to the internet. When a patient asks for approx. thickness this app is great. Thank you for all your hard efforts. The app works wonderful.
    Awesome! I am glade you like it. I am working on a future release that will allow you to view the formulas without an internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by mullo View Post
    Very nice job Brent!!
    Thanks!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

You ROCK Brent!!!!! :D

Trista

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by thatNCoptician View Post
    You ROCK Brent!!!!! :D

Trista
    Thanks Trista. I hope you are doing well.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its interesting where the discussion went. I work at a practice where we use an ipad for everything in optical. This is a great feature to add. Funny enough I have an android phone(after leaving iPhone). I like them both. They are both great. iPhone is more user friendly but has less capabilities than the android(flash media).

Great idea and looking forward to downloading the app.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great work. I can appreciate the time and dedication that went into creating the app,which works well on a iPad as well as the iPhone.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
    Its interesting where the discussion went. I work at a practice where we use an ipad for everything in optical. This is a great feature to add. Funny enough I have an android phone(after leaving iPhone). I like them both. They are both great. iPhone is more user friendly but has less capabilities than the android(flash media).

Great idea and looking forward to downloading the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Great work. I can appreciate the time and dedication that went into creating the app,which works well on a iPad as well as the iPhone.
    Thanks! I hope to have an iPad optimized version eventually. I am currently working on improving the UI. It all takes time.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SWEET! Thank you!! Was able to download it for Canada. Your hard work is so appreciated!!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    SWEET! Thank you!! Was able to download it for Canada. Your hard work is so appreciated!!
    Thank you! I hope you enjoy it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is the first app that's made me want to upgrade my tracfone. Congratulations, Brent.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    good job! do you have it for ipad too?

Thread Information