Thread: Charging for UV

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Charging for UV

Why in the world do we still charge for UV coating on CR-39 lenses? I have been thinking about this all day as I UVed about 4 pairs of lenses. We(ECPs) are supposed to care about our patients vision yet if they don't want to shell out a few bucks we send them on there way with no UV protection. Is that really doing right by the patients?

I have just really had a heard time wrapping my head around the idea of charging for it. Am I the only one who still does?

I know that it takes time to UV them so you can say we are charging for our time but you drop them in for 15-20 minutes and walk away. I was able to finish cutting my lenses and help 2 patients with out going back to check on them so I personally cant say I am charging for the time since I didn't spend any time on it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    UV: No Charge!

BLOCK UV: Charge

Or r u comfortable with a health discriminating stance against emmetropes?

B

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course you are sending the patient out with no less protection than an Emetrope with no glasses. CR-39 Blocks most UV anyway. What makes us think we need to protect individuals that don't want to be protected? Oh I forgot, it's for thier own good. Think we ought to use safety thickness on everyone also? Maybe we should put in free AR too, they might be confused by car lights. Get real people.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they choose not to wear sunglasses thats there choice. But we charge(in most cases) more for UV than the drug store charges for cheap sunglasses with 100% UV protection.

My patient has to wear glasses to see as well as that emmetrope and has to pay to do it so why not protect there eyes out of respect and courtesy? And stop acting like greedy opticians? And I am not saying everyone is greedy. Don't take that the wrong way. I know we all collect a paycheck but we do this because of the -15.00 child that sees a grass blade for the first time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    gator, was your tint unit free? Was your UV chem's free? Is your time free? (even if it was 1 min.)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

UV chemical

Do you charge to tint?????? Give that away too what the heck.

The UV chemical costs more than dye does. And doesnt last as long as the dye does, sheesh.

Most materials other than cr-39 and glass filter it out anyways. So for Poly, Hi Index UV is no charge!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
    Why in the world do we still charge for UV coating on CR-39 lenses? I have been thinking about this all day as I UVed about 4 pairs of lenses. We(ECPs) are supposed to care about our patients vision yet if they don't want to shell out a few bucks we send them on there way with no UV protection. Is that really doing right by the patients?

I have just really had a heard time wrapping my head around the idea of charging for it. Am I the only one who still does?

I know that it takes time to UV them so you can say we are charging for our time but you drop them in for 15-20 minutes and walk away. I was able to finish cutting my lenses and help 2 patients with out going back to check on them so I personally cant say I am charging for the time since I didn't spend any time on it.
    STEP AWAY FROM THE FUMES!

I think the fumes from the tinting units/UV unit are affecting your cognitive behaviour...........:cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
    If they choose not to wear sunglasses thats there choice. But we charge(in most cases) more for UV than the drug store charges for cheap sunglasses with 100% UV protection.
    First of all I wouldn't give a pair of those drug store sunglasses to my enemy. Those things most of the time do not have the UV coating they claim.

Second, haven't we given enough things away for free in this industry. It's become so bad that customers EXPECT something free or an automatic discount on their glasses. I guess we should stop charging for nose pads, restrings, temple covers, and things of this nature.

When I bought my last tv, I wasn't given a blu ray player free.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got "free" delivery!.....

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I got "free" delivery!.....
    Touche...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously, gator, you are free to give away anything you wish. This is one of the proud possessions of living in a democracy and in the free world. (Wave flag here)

If you are empowered by whom you work for, then, do so, and call it value-adding.

My formula for value adding is:

Loyalty X Time + Referrals / Ease = Value-Added

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Seriously, gator, you are free to give away anything you wish. This is one of the proud possessions of living in a democracy and in the free world. (Wave flag here)

If you are empowered by whom you work for, then, do so, and call it value-adding.

My formula for value adding is:

Loyalty X Time + Referrals / Ease = Value-Added
    +1 breath gator; why are you so upset? If someone wants to charge, they charge, you want to give it away, go ahead. Don't take a holier than thou attitude though because you feel differently than others.
    Last edited by optilady1; 04-07-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: unintentionally being a copy cat

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You people charge for screws, nose pads, temple tips and re-stringing? No wonder all doctors have high end cars. Bet you folks charges for adjustments too.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    More and more lens product has UV protection already applied. All poly, spectralite, xcell says ALL their CR-39 has it. If you offer the option to your customer to UV poly for a price, how do you remove it if they decline?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    "All of our glasses come with UV protection because you care about your health, those cheaper shops don't put your long term vision first, we do." ;)

Apply it to all the lenses if you wish, but embed it in the price first.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Have you forgotten ?.............................

have you forgotten that there was a time the optician did a lot of these service jobs themselves and made quite a bit of money doing these services. It was called addons.

These days it is sent to the lab. You have to pay the lab for the service, the material and their time for something that is easily done in house.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip

If you are charging for UV, then why not screws and nosepads? Where they free for you? Was your time free?
    Thats the genreal idea. I don't charge for those and I get both side on why we should as well as why we shouldn't.

Thats what this post was all about. I was not trying to take a "holier than though" image. Trust I am no better than the next guy. I still implement the "A" hole tax to some.

I just wanted to see the opinions on "Why" we still charge for it. Thats it. I get that it cost money for the units, and the dye, and the training, and etc.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If you are having the lens specifically treated to absorb UV fully, as a separate treatment like an in-office UV dye, it seems logical to charge for it. If the lens material inherently absorbs all UV, however, which is typically the case with premium lens materials, many eyecare professionals include UV in the cost of the material upcharge as part of the "package" of benefits associated with the material.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    If you are having the lens specifically treated to absorb UV fully, as a separate treatment like an in-office UV dye, it seems logical to charge for it. If the lens material inherently absorbs all UV, however, which is typically the case with premium lens materials, many eyecare professionals include UV in the cost of the material upcharge as part of the "package" of benefits associated with the material.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    I could not have said this any better.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    And to add to this thread.................for general know how.

How do you decide when to do a UV ttreatment................how your UV treatment came out........................are your customers wearing lenses that do absorbs and block UV......................do you use and know how to use one of those gadgets called UV Meter ?

When you do a UV treatment do you one thats applied in a minute and sticks only to the surface and blocks UV to 382 nm or do you one that more takes more time and ends up with a yellowish tinge, but absorbs 100% at 400 nm and your UV meter actually SHOWS IT, or stops at 383 nm like thousands of them out there are doing?

Thread Information