Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Days Until...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

30 Days Until...

I am officially a married woman! Yikes!!
    So, anyone have any fun advice? :bbg: :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make sure you like the guy!
    Don't stress too much about the day. It will go by very quickly, and everyone will have a good time anyways, so make sure you do, too. My only regret was paying for a photographer, I should have just had a friend take picts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Make sure you like the guy!
    Don't stress too much about the day. It will go by very quickly, and everyone will have a good time anyways, so make sure you do, too. My only regret was paying for a photographer, I should have just had a friend take picts.
    As you probably saw on Facebook, the biggest thing I was freaking out about was the RSVPs because people threw them away..ASSUMING I knew they were coming. Um hello? We didn't pay money for them and stamps just to have them thrown away :angry: Anywho, he's not too bad of a guy so I suppose it will all work out :p

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sure he's fab. I hear ya on the RSVP's. I had a very very small wedding, so I didn't need them quite at badly. I only had (i think) 40 people there. We made our own on cards that had a design and my mom printed them. I also used all silk flowers for the chapel, only real for mine. We were on a serious budget, but It was still beautiful. I wish I could figure out how to scan them onto facebook. We did the whole wedding for $3000, that is until my grandparents got mad and decided that they weren't driving an hour for a wedding and only having cake and champane. So they paid for a whole sit down dinner. Looking forward to seeing the photos, I'm sure they will be beautiful!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're being economical as well. My bridesmaids and I made all the flowers and it was really fun!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And tonight is my bachelorette party..woo hoo! :bbg: :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    have fun, but not toooooo much fun :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hang over, today?

Oh, yeah....the advice.......set the ground rules immediately! (Training begins)
    Things to negotiate:
    1) Toilet seat....UP or Down.
    2) Right or Left side of bed.
    3) Who commands the power toothbrush with interchangeable head.
    4) Light on or off
    5) Share hair drying equipment.
    6) Keys for each others vehicles.
    7) Alternating in-law events.......starting right after the honeymoon. Remember that this one will dictate where you will spend Christmas in the year 2025!

Remember.......MARRIAGE is.......a series of compromises.

:bbg:
    Last edited by uncut; 04-02-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: forgot advice!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One thing I never realized when you get married is the first year is great. Year 2 and 3 are horrible. That's when you both see all the hidden qualities that make you want to kill each other (I mean really, do you need to have designated seating on the couch? Must you get the most comfortable chair always, hmmmm?)

Of course my man and I didn't live together too long before we married, and we only dated 6 weeks before we were engaged. Then we were married 5 months later. Pregnant 2 months after that. Can you say impatient much?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Saturday = Not feeling so well :cheers: :cheers:

Sunday = Felt like even more of a train wreck :shiner: :shiner:

Today (Monday) = I want to go back to bed! ...oh wait I always feel like that on Mondays. :bbg: :bbg:

I had a great time, believe me. At 28, I realized I'm wayyyy past the bar scene and wanted to go to bed at 11:00 :bbg: Although, we ended up with 2 silver pans full of extra hot dogs (don't ask) from the hockey game we went to and I made over $100 selling suckers for $1.00. People were throwing $5.00, $10.00, $20.00 and I ALMOST got a $50.00 bill from some guy..darn it!

1) Toilet seat....UP or Down. | It's always down and he does a good job of doing this as well hehe
    2) Right or Left side of bed. | I get the right side..or left side if you're looking from the other side of the bed
    3) Who commands the power toothbrush with interchangeable head. | We are cheap and don't have power toothbrushes...maybe I should add that to the registry list
    4) Light on or off | We are both VERY good about turning the light OFF if we aren't in the room
    5) Share hair drying equipment. | He doesn't care for the blow dryer, flat iron and curling iron up on the counter but I always win that battle :bbg:
    6) Keys for each others vehicles. | Check!!
    7) Alternating in-law events.......starting right after the honeymoon. Remember that this one will dictate where you will spend Christmas in the year 2025! | We're also good about this as well..

So, did I pass? Am I ok to get married now? :bbg: :bbg:

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NeGlassesGirl27 View Post
    4) Light on or off | We are both VERY good about turning the light OFF if we aren't in the room
    I don't think your ready if you really didn't know what she meant by that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    I figured that's what it meant but...I wasn't going there hehe :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    Snort. Give it time. :D

Be ready (and willing) for uncut's advise: marriage is about compromise. Eventually, you'll find a way to make him feel like he's King of the Castle, but he'll end up letting you run things the way you want. The big decisions should always be made together. I don't believe in separate checking accounts: Strider lets me know if he needs to buy something, and I let him know if there's enough money. He has no desire to run the checkbook, so I'm technically in control. But I let him know if I've spent money, whether it's groceries, or clothes for our son, or a book for myself. Secrets are bad for you.

Before we got married, I convinced myself that I'd be picking up socks and underwear off the floor for the rest of my life. It is irritating sometimes when the socks are right next to the hamper, but, oh, well. All that bending at the waist is good exercise, right? Anyway, it took years before I started to feel important when it came to menial things like laundry. It's a thankless job (along with dishes, vacumming, and cleaning the bathroom), but someone has to do it, and I feel totally accomplished when I look at all the stuff I do (besides my 40-hour a week doing-the-job-of-four-people job. That's another thread. . .). Am I off on a tangent??

Be open to listening to couples that have been married for 40-50+ years. Whatever they're doing, they're doing it right!

Don't ever, ever even joke about splitting up. "Divorce" is a word that is never spoken in our house, unless we're talking about another unfortunate couple. We've been married for 13 years now, and we've never had a fight. Oh, we argue all the time, and feelings have been hurt, but we always end up talking it out, and really listening to the other. When you have kids, this becomes harder. I think having our son was the hardest thing to happen to us. I was mentally off my rocker for a good year after he was born, and somehow Strider put up with me. We are an awesome family, though, if I do say so myself. It's all about love.

I'm sure I could think up a bunch of other bits, and since you asked, I may reply later. This isn't just unsolicited advice here. :)
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    my advice would be to make a commitment to "date" each other after the marriage. I see too many couples who don't spend any quality time together being "partners" ... once kids come along, it's all about the kids ... kids grow up and (hopefully) move out. Keep a courtin' one another ...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen View Post
    my advice would be to make a commitment to "date" each other after the marriage. I see too many couples who don't spend any quality time together being "partners" ... once kids come along, it's all about the kids ... kids grow up and (hopefully) move out. Keep a courtin' one another ...
    That's excellent. We love going on "dates" and we're not even married yet. We have a lot of couple friends that always want to go for dinner and some drinks, which is perfectly fine but it's nice to have time with just him and I :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Train the pooch to pick clothes off the floor & into hamper.......much easier than training hubby :)
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I met my husband when I was 14 years old. He was 17, and although we didn't date, I knew from the moment I met him that we'd be married some day. (He had just enlisted in the millitary, and I didn't see him for 2 years after the first time I met him.) We've been married for 32 years, and I can't stress enough how important it is to compromise. I can't think of a single issue that was worth more than our relationship.

I'd marry him all over again!

Best wishes to you!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Darby, it's really odd how things happen in life.

Him and I have been friends for 7-8 years and met through our favorite sport. We never really had those sort of "talks" until after my mom passed away. That's when we started talking more frequently, and as you said Darby, it's almost like I knew he was "the one". Needless to say, I don't have a doubt in my mind that my mom had tricks up her sleeve to make sure her daughter was with the right guy and to make sure someone was taking care of me.

I love to hear great stories because there are so many bad ones in society anymore.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that the most important way to stay married is to decided that you are going to stay married. I look at the concept of 'love' as a verb, because to love someone it takes a looooot of action, and not the fun kind either. There are days when it is easier than others to make the effort.

(of course all my beliefs get thrown out the window if we were talking about Robert Pattinson :) )

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Relax and enjoy the day. Getting upset about things that are beyond your control on the big day is easy, just take a deep breath, count to ten and smile. then move on.
    For the future, life is very short, so don't fret the small stuff (toothpaste squeezing style, toilet paper up or down, etc) pick your battles wisely and think for at least one day prior to fighting. Always remember what first attracted you to him!!! Have a wonderful wedding and a great future!!
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahhhh, now, you people went and got all serious and mushy on her.........this is supposed to be fun/fuunny advice!

Now, get cracking!:p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Advice that I got by about 5-10 people when I was out for my bachelorette party last week was..."DON'T DO IT!!!" :p

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Ahhhh, now, you people went and got all serious and mushy on her.........this is supposed to be fun/fuunny advice!

Now, get cracking!:p
    ok, silly time: love means accepting him even when his back sprouts hair like a thick amazon forest

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NeGlassesGirl27 View Post
    Advice that I got by about 5-10 people when I was out for my bachelorette party last week was..."DON'T DO IT!!!" :p

Most know I'm down on marriage, and even I wasn't going to go there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All I know is that I made over $150.00 from the "Suck For A Buck" (Selling suckers for $1.00) The best part is that I had people giving me $5.00, $10.00, $20.00 bills :bbg:

Thread Information