Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Election in Canada

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Federal Election in Canada

Thought i'd start a new thread with Harper government about to fall....
    I've got one thing to say that I hope will catch on MAJORITY CONSERVATIVE GOVERNMENT. This minority government has to go. There is a zero possibility that the people of Canada will give Ignatieff a chance to lead this country, and the NDP or Block
    have even less of a chance. If there is going to be a coalition gov't, I would like to see them do it before the election NOT AFTER!!

What say you Canada.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm tired of the propaganda by Conservatives that if there isn't a majority there will be a coalition of the other three parties. Unless you are referring to Harper's attempted coalition with the Bloc when he was first the leader and tried to oust Martin.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Go Harper Go!...time for a Conservative majority...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optical maven View Post
    I'm tired of the propaganda by Conservatives that if there isn't a majority there will be a coalition of the other three parties. Unless you are referring to Harper's attempted coalition with the Bloc when he was first the leader and tried to oust Martin.

Wanna bet?....If given the chance,they will form a coalition,and run the country into the ground....A bunch of left wing radicals controlling the treasury is the last thing we need....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by kws6000 View Post
    Wanna bet?....If given the chance,they will form a coalition,and run the country into the ground....A bunch of left wing radicals controlling the treasury is the last thing we need....

Just like Paul Martin. He sure left us with a huge deficit. On the other hand, Mulroney sure left us with a huge surplus. Of course we could follow Mike Harris and sell a highway to balance the budget. Of course we could also have a monarchy like Albertan's prefer.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They are all idiots. Harper, Ignatiff, Layton and Duceppe.

Harper has done a pretty sorry job. I am not sure the others will do much better.

You have to ask yourself, are we a better nation after four years of Harper? NO! Huge debt, less services, worse economy, less accountability, ect.

Canadians seemed a lot more optimistic a few years ago before Harper.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No one could have done much better in economic times like these....we just don't need a new government, we need a majority gov't. These minority gov't's cant get anything done.

Occupation
    To me, it is not as much of an economic issue as it is a social one. The economy was handled very well by the Liberals in the 90s and the recession was handled okay by Harper (though, it should be mentioned the his original plan was to do nothing and it was not until he came to the Liberal plan that things picked up). But, I am concerned with the lack of vision he has for the Canadian economy. We need to move our nation forward into new industries, and he seems like Harper has been overly relying on the old. That is my only economic concern. That and the fact that he continues to cut GST and corporate taxes that are bankrupting our nation. I believe in tax cuts, but only when we are in fiscal position to do so.

But my main issue is socially. I just do not agree with his social message. Spending more money to increase our military and buying planes through unaccountable plans is something I am concerned about. The building more and more jails is a major problem I have. Working in health care, I know why we have crime. The majority of crime is caused by mental health, substance abuse and poverty. I see it every day with the Aboriginal communities I work with. They get addicted to Oxycotin from birth (yes, they are born addicts) and are continuously fed it. Then they need more, so they commit crimes to get money to buy this. Building prisons goes after the symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. If Harper spent that $15 billion on mental health and addictions, we would not only not need new prisons, but we would stop many crimes before they happen.

I have a real issue how he is leaving Canadians in other nations to sit in prisons without trials and to be subject to the death penalty. We should be making sure they receive fair trials. Guilty deserve to be punished, but not until they are proven to be guilty.

But lastly, it is the whole transparency and accountability. Harper got in on the promise of being more accountable and transparent, but it seems like we have gone backwards. More and more is hidden from the public. More news comes out all of the time about scandals and lies. What really bothers me are the people that attacked the Liberals for years over the same things, but let the Conservatives get away with murder. Listen, I attacked the Liberals when they did it and I will attack the Conservatives and NDP and Bloc for doing the same things.

As for Minority governments not getting anything done. Lester B Pearson passed 85% of his bills when he was in a Minority position. Harper does not pass things, because he acts like a dictator. If he worked with the other parties (realizing that the majority of Canadians did not vote for him) then he would pass more.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    No one could have done much better in economic times like these....we just don't need a new government, we need a majority gov't. These minority gov't's cant get anything done.
    +1

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    They are all idiots. Harper, Ignatiff, Layton and Duceppe.
    +1, unfortunate but so true. Four elections in 7 years, I have a feeling nothing will change this time and we'll be back in the same situation in less than two years. Hopefully by then Ignatieff will be gone, and a more organized and focused Liberal party will be in place to mount a credible opposition. I blame Chretien for sabotaging all the good potential successors in his caucus.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper I have to side with mike elmes..........................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post

You have to ask yourself, are we a better nation after four years of Harper? NO! Huge debt, less services, worse economy, less accountability, ect.

Canadians seemed a lot more optimistic a few years ago before Harper.
    We are actually in a much better position than our southern neighbors are caught in. They might see rioting in their streets within the next few month.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes
    03-25-2011 05:55 PM

I have to side with mike elmes, we do need a majority government to make real decisions.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's hope not, Chris...........CDNs tend to mimic a lot of American antics! No riots needed here!

What's a real riot is the choices the populace faces...a frustrated leader, a parachuted wanna be, a separatist,and a power-hungry leftwinger willing to make a deal with anyone!

Occupation
    Is a leader someone who constantly fights against three parties that represent the majority of Canadians? You ask for a majority, but if Harper could not work with these parties currently, what makes him a leader?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harper's minority gov't was the longest serving in Canadian history.....the NDP and Liberals have been trying to over turn the Conservatives since they won the last election. When this election is over, if the C's win either another minority gov't,or a majority, then you can say bye bye to Iggy and Jack as their Party's will need to find different leaders that might challenge the Conservatives. The Liberals will have Trudeau, the NDP...WHO CARES.

Occupation
    Yeah, I will be happy if they turf Iggy when they lose.

What do you guys think about Harper challenging Iggy to a one on one debate, Iggy accepting, and Harper pulling out?

Occupation
    To many of his constituents, Michael Ignatieff is a stranger in his own riding.
    The aristocratic Liberal Party leader, his granddad was education minister for the last Russian czar and granny was a princess, is at home in ivy league Harvard and fabled Oxford universities and tony Yorkville, his T.O. home.
    But to the residents and shopkeepers in blue-collar Etobicoke-Lakeshore the 63-year-old politician has been the invisible man since he won his parliamentary seat in 2006.
    “I saw him only once, one year ago,” says Nestor Chijani, who owns Nestor’s Barber Shop on The Queensway.
    “I saw the limousine and the chauffeur and he came out of the office and went in and drove away. That’s it.”
    Chijani’s shop faces the former headquarters of Ignatieff’s constituency office.
    The windows have been covered up and the only way you’d know Ignatieff was ever there is a sign, which still contains the MP’s name in giant red letters.
    The Iggy troupe has relocated down the street to Evans Ave. on the sixth floor of an unmarked office tower.
    It’s a odd move for what should be a high-profile political office, but one that seems to reflect Ignatieff’s relationship with the community — instead of an accessible street front, his office is hidden in an industrial area.

source:....................http://www.torontosun.com/news/toron.../17853131.html

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I hope Harper wins a majority. I think he is the lesser of the evils. Also, I really don't want to see the tax increases promised by the other welfare-state parties. The wasteful and useless long gun registry has to go.

Personally, I would like western Canada (Manitoba-BC) succeed from the whiney, sniveling east (especially Quebec). Eastern and Western Canada just don't have a common vision.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Western separatist...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Stonegoat View Post

Personally, I would like western Canada (Manitoba-BC) succeed from the whiney, sniveling east (especially Quebec). Eastern and Western Canada just don't have a common vision.

Funny........................have not had any arguments with Canadian western separatists since the times I had an office in Calgary over 30 years ago and run into some of them occasionally on my monthly trips there.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

What's going on with Conservatives

Can you bekieve thet the Conservatives have fraudsters in office, make undefined accusations against their members, expels people from their campaign gatherings, because they had a Facebook picture with an opponent and top it all try to repeal the vote of hundreds of college students. Does this sound like one of those African nations that call for Democracy but do everything they can just to get power. Where is our Democracy going to? Looks like it is going down the drain. It FRIGHTENS me. We fought for Democracy and it is looking like the Conservatives are trying to take it away. We need help to stop them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I read your post and don't understand your fright. I feel the same way about the BS Ignatieff is pedaling. He is trying to buy the student votes!
    Did you see the interview last night with Mansbridge? Ignatieff as much as said he would pull the coalition bs if Harper doesn't win a majority. That is not what we are voting for so where is the Democracy in that?

Occupation
    Actually Mike, that coalition comment was taken out of context. He was answering a hypothetic question, which he should not have.

I do not like a lot of what Ignatieff stands for. He, like Harper, wanted to go into Iraq. He is not the voice of the common people. He has a weak platform.

But, he is not deceiving Canadians, spending $1 billion on the G20 in the biggest waste of money we have ever seen (considering that comparable nations have spent $30 million), not lying or committing fraud.

So what, Ignatieff promises to lower tutition and you call that buying votes? What buying votes has Harper done?

Let's call spades, spades. All four leaders have serious flaws. Let's call them out on them, instead of pretending that they do not exist.

Occupation
    Oh and Mike, coalitions are very democratic. They happen in almost every nation of the World with a democratic system. I think that three parties representing 62% of the vote speak more for Canadians than one with 38%.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But not where one of the three coalition are a separatist party...

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This is a pretty good infographic about how our elections work here, for those interested. http://i.imgur.com/Z4FvM.jpg

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What i'd like to see Harper do with a majority government is what Ralph Klein did for Alberta. Get us into fiscal responsibility,manage our resources properly and create jobs.

Thread Information