Thread: Progressive Transition Lens With AR Customer Issue (Rare)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Progressive Transition Lens With AR Customer Issue (Rare)

Hello

I have a client who purchased a pair of rimless progressive transitions lenses with ar...

She complains that when wearing these glasses on the horizons, buildings, light standards, bridges, back of transport trucks and while driving down the highway she sees a yellow horizontal band in the lenses.

At night she sees a blue band on the top.

She also sees this when the transitions is not activated. So i can rule out that there is no defect in the transitions. This is very bizarre and rare, can it be the material poly or the blue color of the anti glare coating.

I am very confused.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you will find that it's the material (index/abbe) causing this.;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I think you will find that it's the material (index/abbe) causing this.;)
    +1

It could even be as simple as a quality control miss when the blank was created. It is such an odd anomaly that I'd be inclined to just remake the job and see if it goes away.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    What's her Rx, and are they edge polished? Does the band move when she tilts her head up and down or is it stationary? What do you see when you look at the lenses?

I recommend poly approximately never, but I also don't automatically blame it for patient issues.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just recently had a patient with this same problem. Rx was a -5.00 sph. Fit him in poly SV no AR, and he saw the same thing. Except he noticed it on the edges of paper and white objects.
    Looking at the lens, I noticed some vertical crazing in the scratch coat. Not sure whether it was the crazing or the poly but we changed into a mid index plastic and problem solved.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like abbe all the way! This doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does, I usually order a 1.67 lens and that clears the abberrations right up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As soon as I heard "she sees yellow" I thought "Is it poly?". I'm not one of the poly haters out there, I do use it. But the yellow band is one of the most common things that happen when people have issues with poly. Try putting her in 1.6 if you need the thinning. Or Trivex if all you wanted was the impact resistance/reduced risk of chipping or cracking.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi jonathan. 1.67's abbe #'s aren't any better than poly.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Hi jonathan. 1.67's abbe #'s aren't any better than poly.
    Sure they are..... by 2. (Poly=30, 1.67=32)

Is 2 enough to make a difference? For most people, probably not. I personally can't wear Poly, but have no problem with 1.67. But I've been hit in the head a lot during my life...... :shiner:
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is why Trivex is a wonderful thing. The only time I use poly is with Kids and balance lens patients. Although I have been back and forth on trivex on kids.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    I personally can't wear Poly, but have no problem with 1.67. But I've been hit in the head a lot during my life...... :shiner:
    +1. Except for the getting hit in the head part.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan barber View Post
    Sounds like abbe all the way! This doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does, I usually order a 1.67 lens and that clears the abberrations right up.

Never mind.WFruit beat me to it.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Never mind.WFruit beat me to it.
    It's strange, since I got your original post in my email.....

Someone (more) knowedgeable correct me, but if the issue were the chomatic abberation caused by Poly's low abbe value, shouldn't ALL colors be present, not just two (yellow during the day, blue at night)? Unless the patient's color vision is also an issue.....

Without any more information, I'm going to guess that the lenses have a high gloss edge polish and the issue is light entering the top of the lens. The lenses being poly probably doesn't help, but I bet "un-polishing" the edges will solve the problem.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is 2 enough to make a difference? For most people, probably not. I personally can't wear Poly, but have no problem with 1.67. But I've been hit in the head a lot during my life...... :shiner:
    I'm the same way. I have a -6.00 and cannot wear poly so 1.67 is the way to go for me. I do nothing BUT Trivex for children, previous eye injuries, etc.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's strange, since I got your original post in my email.....

Someone (more) knowedgeable correct me, but if the issue were the chomatic abberation caused by Poly's low abbe value, shouldn't ALL colors be present, not just two (yellow during the day, blue at night)? Unless the patient's color vision is also an issue.....

Without any more information, I'm going to guess that the lenses have a high gloss edge polish and the issue is light entering the top of the lens. The lenses being poly probably doesn't help, but I bet "un-polishing" the edges will solve the problem.
    It was my experience (back when I was a minus 15) that the biggest effect of chromatic abberration was that the colors most noticed (therefore the most affected) were on the edges of visibility, both in the blue and the red section. This is most easily demonstrated with some LED Christmas lights. Look at a string of LED lights through the periphery of a high index lens and you will notice the red and blue LEDs will smear and even appear to move horizontally when you move your head back and forth. Never got much motion or smearing with yellow or green LEDs. Now, the index 1.70 (which has an ABBE 4 points higher than 1.67) appeared to be not a lot better at the blue LEDs (they seem to mess everything up- weird color) but the smear and motion of the red LEDS was less than half what it was through 1.67. So I'm guessing that plays a part in the higher ABBE.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmessi View Post
    Hello

I have a client who purchased a pair of rimless progressive transitions lenses with ar...

She complains that when wearing these glasses on the horizons, buildings, light standards, bridges, back of transport trucks and while driving down the highway she sees a yellow horizontal band in the lenses.

At night she sees a blue band on the top.

She also sees this when the transitions is not activated. So i can rule out that there is no defect in the transitions. This is very bizarre and rare, can it be the material poly or the blue color of the anti glare coating.

I am very confused.
    Chances are good that these are thin lenses and she is suffering from specular images. If her edges are rolled and polished that would even increase the liklyhood of this.
    Cure, Make a new pair without AR and roll & Polish or put it in a fully rimed frame.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    One unasked question: Does she see these lines without her glasses?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Thread Information