View Poll Results: Future of Progressive Lens Design?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • We have reached the practical design limit.

12 15.58%
  • There is still much more that can be done.

51 66.23%
  • Too soon to tell.

14 18.18%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progressive Lens Design: Where do we go from here?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Progressive Lens Design: Where do we go from here?

What's new in the world of Progressive lenses? Are there any truly revolutionary concepts yet to be discovered, or has this technology reached its practical limits?

Let's see your thoughts on this subject.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Away from them and back to the glass panafocal! Where else but to go backwards and call it a new discovery?

Chip:hammer:

OptiBoard Professional
    I would like an "occupational progressive" similar in function to the double segs we use for mechanics and electricians. I want a LARGE central distance target with a mid-range and near beneath and a large intermediate above. Something useful for pilots, mechanics, people running large commercial printing presses, etc..
    Not like the old AO technica or the Overview. Anybody got something in the works?

Carol D

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Smilie

I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of new designs waiting to be brought out. The main problem at the moment is saturation there are too many diffrent suppliers with very similar products.
    As Carol has said there are plenty of people who could use diffrent designs for their jobs but would there be a big enough market for it.
    Maybe a casting system that would allow you to specifey your own lens design.

Occupation
    While an 'occupational progressive' is certainly an interesting option, I was more interested in whether or not you think that the 'standard' Progressive len designs can be improved, and if so, how?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A standard progressive with the intermediate and near widths of one of the office lenses wouldn't be a bad creature. I am not sure if that wouldn't cause too much distortion in the distance though.

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wider and wider and wider...

Every time a lens manufacturer boasts a wider intermediate and near, another comes along that is even wider. The Western World demands it. Aaahhh, just imagine a PAL lens design with full fields in distance, intermediate and near vision.

Occupation
    But the nature of the beast is that when you make one of the zones wider, you have to give up something elsewhere. For this reason I wonder if we've reached the practical design limits for PALs. Physics seems to dictate that not much more can be done, other than redistribute the unwanted astigmatism in new ways.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know Enigma SV didn't fly but one of the reasons was the Rx limitations. Is there a reason why the technology behind Enigma couldn't be applied to a PAL? If Enigma was available in a PAL, we probably would have moved them in a snap.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Steve

New equipment is on the horizon which will customize RX based on PD, seg height, vertex, as well as RX. Semi-finished lenses will become "hockey pucks", much like Gas Perm Buttons. No more backorders! Also, endless options for materials. Patients will benefit by having a more precise finished product, and ECP's will benefit by having better replication through their labs. Every manufacturer is searching for new ways to capitalize on baby boomers. ;)

Occupation
    By the vote, a lot of people think that more can be done with PAL designs. However, except for variations of current design concepts (and Jo's interesting Enigma PAL idea) I don't see any truly new ideas concerning progressive lens designs.

I knew I shouldn't have made this into a Poll. The problem is that people just vote and don't post. :p

If you voted that you think much more could be done with PAL designs, please post telling us what your thoughts are.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that your comment that not much more can be done, is perhaps true with the technology of fabrication that is available today. However, not true for our future. I bet the Ben Franklin light bulb was about as good as technology allowed at that time. Now we have UV bulbs, flourescent lights, grow lights, natural full spectrum bulbs, mercury vapor bulbs, sodium bulbs, even randomly blinking Christmas lights, etc, etc. Our industry won't stand still either. The technology may not be right around the corner, but I guarantee you that the progressives will improve in all of the obvious areas, reading width, peripheral distortion, etc. Our progressives of today will one day be antique designs. As in most industries where there are substantial dollars to be made in capturing a decent size of a market, there will always be someone trying to build a better mouse trap. In this case a progressive lens. Mark my words, we may or may not see it in our lives, but it will happen.

Occupation
    It's not the technology that is the limiting factor - it's the laws of physics. After all, PALs are largely designed on the computers these days and computers aren't constrained by manufacturing technologies. The truth is there's is only so much than can be done by manipulating the surface.

Now if you're thinking of alternate materials and indices, then perhaps something can be done. However even in this case the optics will be constrained by the laws of physics.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are all thinking in terms of front surfaces, I believe. What about the new Johnson & Johnson lens? From what I understand that lens design involves doing something different with the back surface. What differences does altering the back surface make?

Occupation
    Jo said:
    What differences does altering the back surface make?
    Good question. Other than being an interesting concept, does this really provide any optical benefits? And if so, what are the advantages and how significant are they?

To my knowledge many, if not the majority, of PALs sold today are lenses that were designed more than 10 years ago. For most people, these lenses work just as well as newer designs. Why is that?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The show ain't over til . . . .

I don't think Smart Seg Technology has been fully explored. And, with the advantage of lathe/3 axis/and "needs based" designs, I am convinced that what we see as a progressive lens "all in one" may someday give way to more customized lenses. The computer programming part . . . Computer Aided Lens Design and Manufacturing that can drive high tech machines seems in my mind to be the area we have not seen nearly the likes of.

Bad address email on file

Smilie

Check out the CFL-atoric progressive lens from Optical Dynamics. It's molded and is very high tech. Only molding can produce a double sided aspheric lens and it's available today.

Occupation
    Ron said:
    Check out the CFL-atoric progressive lens from Optical Dynamics. It's molded and is very high tech. Only molding can produce a double sided aspheric lens and it's available today.
    But what exactly are the advantages of a double-sided aspheric lens?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks, Ron

I would like to see more about the lens.
    I think a closer look at 3 axis motion control computer driven lens making may reveal how a mold is made.
    The Schneider Generator from Zeiss is in use in 5 locations here in Houston. I have contacted three of them and saw one system. It can do anything and creates back surfaces exactly as the computer design instructs it to do . . . aspheric, parabolic, etc. In fact , it creates back surface progressives using programming technology that is well regarded. I think we both will agree that back surface progressives have some fine advantages.
    Nevertheless, there's room for all kinds of new technology. I just wonder, and would like to know what the economics are. So, if you have some additional information in that regard, please, by all means share it. I can be reached at:

specsupport@ev1.net

Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

:D My thoughts are until we relate all aspects of any refraction and fitting, some of the best designs may not work as planned. First we must have phoropters that are more conducive to how a patient sees with there glasses. No one sees out of a pair of glasses the way they see through a phoropter.
    ......Next has to be how the actual frame fits on the patient. Until you know what the as worn postion of the particular frame is, how do you decide on a lens design.
    ..... Also, until vertex distance is measured from cornea to back surface of the lens, how do you compensate,especially with your high rx patients.
    ...... In summary, i think until we change the way we do things, and do each on a custom basis, we will never be as good as what we could, and the best lens designs in the world will not work as they could.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Lateral Thinking

Yes, I'm sure there can be ways to better the way the over 40s can see, but rather than tackling it by trying to improve Progressive Lens Design, which we've all agreed may have reached a peak at present, maybe we should be looking at the problem from a different perspective..... it's called 'lateral thinking'

We've all seen over the years how TV manufacturers have attempted to get better and more efficient designs for the 'tube'
    I don't think it can get any better today.
    I can recall in the 50s, we had the tube of our tv overhauled then replaced, it was the regular thing to do in those days after a couple of years use.

In a few years time, the regular tube will be a museum piece, as will the glass monitor for the computer...... a bit of lateral thinking has produced the Flat Plasma Screen.

So, let's go away from the idea of how to design a better lens, think laterally, the ultimate goal is how to give the patient clear vision from 30 cm to infinity.

I wish I could come up with an answer!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That's it, Clive...you hit it.

Years ago someone invented a device that stimulated nerves on the back in a pattern that emulated what a camera saw. It was for blind people.

Then, someone invented a device that was implanted in the ear and stimulated the nerve directly, a cochlear implant. For the hard of hearing from nerve damage or insufficiency.

What's the dudes screen name on Star Treck who's blind without those Maui Jim cool looking ocular nerve stimulating type framastinger doodads?

We need to develop a CCD, like muchomegamegapixels, in a contact lens format with a microwire that goes around to the back of the eye and stimulates the ocular nerve. It can be controlled by cerebral signals like an artificial limb. Made by Kodak . . . OK . . . Olympus! Comes with lifetime supply of conductive Liqui Tears.

Damn . . . . I gotta run down to Radio Shack. If I'm not back in 1/2 an hour, call Steve M.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big problem and benefit with my invention

PROBLEM: You can no longer eat potato chips cause the sharp edge might sever the microwire.

ADVANTAGE: The conductive Liqui Tears can also be used with a defibrillator.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

All studies indicate that the three most important factors of pal fitting are 1. the fitting skills of the optician, 2. the prescription, and 3. the lens design. From a "fitting skills" aspect, I think that monocular pd's and monoc. seg hts are critical, so is expertise in frame styling for the proper depth of lenses to accomodate pals, not redesigning pals to accomodate too shallow frame styles. 2. when I see an rx in plus cyls, I cringe. I believe plus cyl phoropters cause a great too many rx problems, and it is impossible to imulate the that eye exam with minus cyl lenses, and it's made even more difficult for presbyopes since you cannot compensate for their axis rotation at the near level in glasses that cannot be duplicated even in a trial frame. After fitting four generations of pals, I think the new ones are the best, but they are more "all-around" wear better. we need to do a better job of educating folks about the need and availability of specialty lenses, like for the computer, etc. per capita spending for eyewear lenses in america is about 1/6 of what we spend on shoes....people just tend to think something on their feet is more important than what's on their face, pretty sad..... so, MD's, get rid of those out-dated plus cyl phoropters! that's a start...

Occupation
    I think the suggestions on fitting techniques for PALs is one area of potential improvement. However in spite of 15 votes stating that 'much more could be done' with PAL designs I still haven't seen a single response that indicates what exactly that is. Perhaps I worded the question poorly.

Let me ask it another way:

What PAL lens is the current 'State of the Art' and why do you think so? In particular, what optical advantages does it have over older designs?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Thread Information