Thread: Methods to adjust temples on plastic (non-acetate) sunglass frames?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Methods to adjust temples on plastic (non-acetate) sunglass frames?

The sunglass frames I'm referring to are the plastic frames found in mostly sports lines and sometimes referred to as TR90. Here is a specific frame that I am attempting to adjust:

http://www.fatheadz.com/products/Jaxon.html

When heating the temples and bending to adjust to fit, the temples are very flimsy and appear to be on the edge of breaking. Also the bend usually does not last long in this material and slowly returns to original shape.

Some type of temple conversion also does not appear to be an option, since the Hilco temple kits usually are not big enough to fit the size of these temples and there is no metal core to shave down to. Any suggestions, or are these frames basically expected to just fit temple wise on customers?

Thanks

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These frames are simple junk. Stay away from them. They are niot designed to be fitted skillfully.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are not plastic, they are a form of nylon. You will have to get close to the melting point to change the shape, and you will have no way of knowing if the finish will survive this. As you noticed, there is probably not a temple core to accept a cable conversion. Bending the endpiece is probably not possible, so bending the temple in the middle (a lousy way to tighten glasses) is all you have left. I'm not familiar with this particular model, but many grilamid sport frames have deeeeppp v-grooves, so bending the front leads to lens flakes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's hard to tell from the photos, but it doesn't look like TR90. I've had no issues with adjusting TR90 stuff. It looks more like the stuff Nike is making all their new opthalmics from. That stuff is junk. Can't do anything with it except heat it to the point where it will bend. But since they generally have no metal cores, it usually causes the surface to buckle so you don't get a smooth look.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For less than 30 buck, don't touch them. Tell the customer they got what they paid for. And that's not adjustability.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My question is: Why are you fitting people with product that is non-adjustable, fittable, in the first place. Doesn't your "buyer" ensure that eyewear purchased with the intent to be fitted to the human anatomy, have the prerequisite mechanical ability to do so?

As a dispenser of a medical device, (and part of dispensing is to forsee final adjustment requirements.)........why was this dispensed?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We sell this brand at Wal-mart. They are okay frames.I would rather sell a pair of glasses I can adjust but sometimes these are the only frames that can fit some of the larger patients. We also got notices from the lab that they are having a difficult time finding lens blanks big enough for the spectacle frames. I don't see the point of selling them if we cannot make lenses for them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well, that's nothing new. A loooong time ago Titmus brought out a frame with a diagonal measurement of 71mm. Problem was, the biggest lens available was 70 mm. It was zyl, so you had to get a bit lucky on layout to have only a small unbeveled portion in two opposite spots, then you hand beveled them and, since you cut it a bit big, you stretched the zyl around the hand edged part and eliminated the gap.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information